cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most Stable High Performance Router - TP Link? Netgear? Asus?

wibbsy

Most Stable High Performance Router - TP Link? Netgear? Asus?

Hi

I have Plusnet VDSL / Fibre. The standard hub doesn;t reach all parts of my house so im looking to upgrade the router. I bought the 'TP-Link AC2800 Dual Band Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit VDSL/ADSL Modem Router (Archer VR2800))' but found that the signal drops at least 3 or 4 times during the day; However, these drops didn't happen with the Plusnet router? TP Link was no help with sorting so I'm revisiting a replacement and wondering if anyone has any experience of a stable VDSL connection with any after market routers? Shortlist is :

1. NETGEAR D7000-100UKS Nighthawk AC1900
  2. ASUS DSL-AC88U AC3100
  3. TP-Link AC2600

Thank you

1 REPLY 1
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Most Stable High Performance Router - TP Link? Netgear? Asus?

I have the Netgear D7000 Nighthawk AC1900 router and find the WiFi signal to be very good. I get a download speed of about 70 Mbps when on a wired connection. The router has dual band Wifi and when connected to the 2.4Ghz band I generally get max speeds of 40-45 Mbps but when connected to the 5Ghz band I always get the full speed of 70Mbps. The 2.4Ghz band covers my entire house and garden with the 5Ghz band covering the house but does not stretch to the border of the garden or into the separate garage. I don't get dropouts using WiFi and have a solid wired connection. The only downsides of the D7000 are the User Interface which I just do not like and the router itself being on the large size. I have never used the standard Plusnet Hub so can't compare it to the D7000.

The problem you have is that there are so many variables that come into play when connecting to WiFi. Just because the D7000 works for me does not mean it will work for you. The location of the router, the WifI frequency and channel selected, the type of property you have and the level of interference from other WiFi networks will all affect your connection as will the type of receiver used in each connecting device.