Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem only advice

Stoocoo
Hooked

Modem only advice

Hi there,

apologies if this has been covered (I am new to this forum) but couldn't find up to date topic.

Our Plusnet internet has been rubbish recently, we are in Cumbria - it is flakey here anyway - but recently it has been dreadful. Plusnet are offering a new contract that would include their latest router. However I need a more drastic solution to living in a house with 4 foot thick stone walls around every room that render WiFi inoperative (hence the mesh).

So - I purchased a TPLink AX1800 Deco x20 whole home mesh system. As the older models of this had a modem system built in - I assumed this would too - I was wrong.

My question is:

Do I take out the new contract with an upgraded plusnet router/modem thrown in, switch off the WiFi and link to the Deco

OR

Do I source a modem only - and if so - which one should I try?

Kind regards

Stoocoo

13 REPLIES 13
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Modem only advice

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

My logic tells me that you are going to have the same problem whoever your ISP is so taking out a new contract and getting the latest router would seem to be a good start. It will cost you postage but cheaper than a new modem.  A number of people recommend the BT HG612 from Ebay at around £15.  

Welcome to the Community. The real experts will, I am sure, be along soon!

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

I see to recall the Hub 2 can be set to modem mode, which would solve your issues..

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Are you sure that your problem is WiFi related and not uplink related?  If the mesh will not work through your 4 foot walls, then changing the router is not going to help.

What might help is a different network technology, such as dLan which use the electric ring main to form a wired network.  For example look up the Devolo product range.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Stoocoo
Hooked

Thank you

Stoocoo
Hooked

Thank you TeeGee

Good advice! - I have negotiated a new contract and will be receiving a new router shortly.

Thank you for your helpful comment!

Meanwhile - I have a TD!

Who'd a thunkit!

Stoocoo
Hooked

Mustrum and Townman

Thank you for your helpful comments and suggestions.

I'll try the new router - which should help with download speeds and possibly stop the dropping out of ISP service.

The mesh system is still in it's box and I knew there was something up with the modem part of the Plusnet router/modem.

I have tried Devolo units and TP-Link units - many of them - even linked with LAN cables - but as the property has three separate ring mains circuits they do not work reliably. 

So next step was to try mesh - I ordered the mesh system thinking that this would replace my Plusnet router/modem - but no! I still need a modem/router - so I will switch off the router WiFi and rely on the mesh WiFi.

Thank you all for responding to my post - have a guid new year!

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

@Stoocoo wrote:

Meanwhile - I have a TD!

Who'd a thunkit!

[Off topic!]  That is awesome! Why not post a pic of it as your avatar? 

I am BRG with envy!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

To get good synchronised wireless in all areas you should use the mesh units with a hard wired Ethernet backhaul.  See https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1794/.  This might be problematic with your walls but if there are no alternative cable routes are they really 4 feet thick? Screwfix sell 1m long masonry drills.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Stoocoo
Hooked

Thank you for your suggestion Baldrick - I will have a look.

and yes - the walls really are 4' thick!! its an old Cumbrian Long House! 

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

Could you feed a flat ethernet cable under carpets & doors ?

Stoocoo
Hooked

Thank you for your suggestion Baldrick - I will have a look.

and yes - the walls really are 4' thick!! its an old Cumbrian Long House! 

Enjoy the New Year!

Stoocoo
Hooked

Thanks Champnet

It may come to that!