Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile phones no longer connect to wifi

FIXED
Annie81
Dabbler

Mobile phones no longer connect to wifi

I only joined plusnet 2 weeks ago but having connected 2 laptops and 2 mobile phones to the network all was working fine. Two days ago both mobile phones (android samsung and nokia) will no longer connect to the wifi. My network does not come up as an available network and when I try and add the network the phones won't find it. There are no error messages and the laptops still continue to work ok. Any help with this is greatly appreciated as I have tried everything I can think of. Have also trawled through the forums but I am at a loss as to what has caused this.

25 REPLIES 25
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Mobile phones no longer connect to wifi

@Annie81 Welcome to the forums. We hear this happening on the odd occasion, but usually with Apple phones. As an experiment, try totally powering down the phones, wait a couple of minutes, then restart them, which should force them to rescan for available connections.

John
Annie81
Dabbler

Hi, Tried that twice but my wifi still does not come up as an available network.

jab1
Legend

In that case, sorry. Further question then - how long have you been a PN customer - just wondering if your modem/router is correctly configured, although if your laptops are connecting (over Wi-Fi?) then it sounds like it is.

John
Annie81
Dabbler

Only joined on 23rd August, and everything worked fine at that point for the laptops and phones. The only issue I have had is connecting my HP printer. This will not connect by wifi at all. I have managed to get it working over a lead, but while trying to set up the printer through HP, I was asked to input the 'Admin password for Hub Manager'. I don't know if inputting this could have affected the phones connections at all.

jab1
Legend

Interesting. I can't help with the printer, either, I've never used HP and their setup procedure seems quite different to other manufacturers. That request for the Hub manager password won't have affected the phones.

Just to see if it is a router issue, can you post the details from your 'Help Desk' tab, obscuring any personal details?

John
Annie81
Dabbler

I'm probably being really thick, but I don't know what you mean.

jab1
Legend

Nope, you aren't being thick - like a lot of people you just expect everything to work as it should, and I should have asked what your level of experience was.

Assuming you have a Hub1, if you access your routers home page and click the 'Troubleshooting' tab, that should open a page with a dialogue that starts with something like 'your adviser may ask you for this information' The picture below may help:-

Hub1.PNG

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Annie81 

1. Phones not connecting.

Try separating the 2.4 and 5 GHz wireless bands, see https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840. Once you have done this if you go into your phone available wireless network settings you will find that there are now the two Plusnet wireless networks available. The password is the same for both. Try each band in turn and use the best.

2. Printer not connecting.

The chances are that this is being caused by the printer retaining the previous ISP's allocated IP address. Look through the HP manual or look up on line how to factory reset the printer. Run through this then set the printer up from scratch.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 - thanks. Smiley

John
Annie81
Dabbler

Hi, I've tried the link @Baldrick1 sent, connected to 5GHz and changed 'sync to 2.4GHz' to no, but this has not helped.

I have copied the info' from helpdesk onto a word document and attached it. Hope this is what you are looking for. Thanks

jab1
Legend

@Annie81 No word document, I'm afraid, but a screenshot would much more helpful, if possible, anyway.

until we can get your phones to 'find' your network, you won't be able to connect, despite @Baldrick1 's helpful advice.

John
Annie81
Dabbler

Sorry, my laptop won't screenshot for some reason. Now on different laptop so hopefully should work.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @Annie81 

Do you have Mobile Data on your Samsung phone? If so you could down load a WiFi signal Analyser, this will prove if the Hub One WiFi is working and if the phone are seeing the signal.

I use WiFi Analyzer created by farproc, there are others.

Hope this helps

Dan.

jab1
Legend

It worked, @Annie81 , and proves there is nothing wrong with your routers setup - although I note both your 2.4 and 5ghz bands still have the same name.

As everything on your router is OK, my next suggestion (for the phone issue) is to see if they will connect to another network - have you any friends/family local you could possibly ask?

John