Did you mean: 

Mesh help please

FIXED
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Mesh help please

Hi

Full fibre is now available to me and I'm considering the switch when my contract comes up. This will mean the router will need to move from its current location and I'm worried the new location will mean a dead zone elsewhere. I'd like to set up a mesh system to replace the Hub 2, ideally a TP Link Tapo one as I have a few devices and like the set up app. Whats not clear is which kit to buy. 

I'm struggling to appreciate the difference between

TP-Link Deco E4 AC1200 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System  
or
TP-Link Deco M4 AC1200 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System 

Explanations very much appreciated

9 REPLIES 9
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 75

Re: Mesh help please

TP-Link Deco E4 AC1200 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System  

I would not buy this one, the specification indicates 2× 10/100 Mbps Ports, which will limit the speeds to 100 mbps

TP-Link Deco M4 AC1200 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System 

This one has 2× Gigabit Ports, so you can use the full speed of your chosen package

HTH

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 397

Fix

@the_groundsman If you are looking at the TP Link mesh products , I'd also look at the Mercusys ones. They are part of TP link but seem to be better value e.g https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mercusys-over-100-Devices-Halo-H50G-3-pack/dp/B09C7JDYJ1

better spec than the M4 but only £79.99 vs £94.99

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

the_groundsman
Rising Star

Thanks a lot - really helpful advice

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@the_groundsman 

Does the router "have" to move from it's current location. FTTP installers usually have a bit of leeway as to where the internal ONT (wall box) goes depending on the arrival point of the fibre cable and the layout of the house.

Have you considered ethernet cable runs to provide a solid start at any given point in the house. Not the cheapest or tidiest of options but is future proof.

Brian

the_groundsman
Rising Star

The Router needs to move. It's a compromise between location, power and ugliness. I've been thinking about this for years Smiley

bmc
Hero

@the_groundsman 

It was just a thought.

A new FTTP install for most people a once in a lifetime opportunity to sort their internet out. Spending a bit of money to run (and hide) cables (even going external to get upstairs) gives solid starting points at various locations where a simply WiFi Access Point can provide extra overage if required. The cables are basically future proof.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 397

especially if you are going for one of the higher (500Mb upwards) FTTP products. You will struggle to get better than 300-400Mb connected via Wifi unless all your devices and router are Wifi 6 capable. Wired connections will give up to 1Gb (and dont even think about Homeplugs(Powerline)!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

the_groundsman
Rising Star

Thanks - all food for further thought. My current master socket is in a hopeless place with no power so I have the router fairly central in the house. The speed and reliability is fine where it is and its been there for years. IF I do upgrade I'm hoping for the ONT to be nearby to that position but also allow me to have a wired connection on a couple of devices ( music server on a RPi and a desktop PC). 

It's important that I maintain wifi outside the house for a couple of devices and I think the new position should be an improvement for them, just a bit worried about the furthest room upstairs. I'm hopeful that coverage will be fine so this is really just a contingency plan

bmc
Hero

@the_groundsman 

Planning ahead for an FTTP installation is always a good idea.

The starting point for the ONT is where your current copper cable arrives at your house (assuming it's OpenReach). There is some leeway on where the cable enters your house from this point but it's often the desirable against the possible. A good installer will work with you where possible.

Don't do anything about your WiFi until FTTP is up and running. You can then see if anything is required.

If upstairs is your main concern consider running an external ethernet cable from the router to a desired point upstairs. It would be termination at either end with an ethernet wall socket. This then gives you a starting point for WiFi upstairs. As previously mentioned it's not the chepest option but is future proof.

Brian