Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making a wired IP address static

BlueRanger
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Making a wired IP address static

I have a wired IP camera running in a remote location from my router. each time the electricity goes off and the router reboots it assigns a new IP address to the wired connection which means I have to reconfigure the camera software each time there is a power cut.

How can I assign a static address to avoid this hassle and break in service?

Router is a Plusnet Sagemcom 2704N

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Making a wired IP address static

Hi there

You can add a static IP address via your Member Centre at https://www.plus.net/AddOns.html

There's a one off charge of £5 and you'll need to reboot the router to pick up the IP.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
BlueRanger
Dabbler

Thank you. Just to clarify I need to make the IP address of a wired connection on my home network static.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

My suggestion would essentially assign a static IP to your connection.

Hmm, I'm unsure now whether this will have your desired outcome or if it's possible to assign a static IP to just 1 device.

Hopefully a member of the community will be along to offer further guidance.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Can you not configure the camera software to use a static IP outside of the router's DHCP range.

I do this with mine so I don't have to scan for them.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Your Router can be set to assign the same IP to any device every time. It is essential when setting up Port Forwarding.

BlueRanger
Dabbler

@custos wrote:

Your Router can be set to assign the same IP to any device every time. It is essential when setting up Port Forwarding.

Thank you. An idiot's guide with the specific router in mind would be good Smiley

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

One of my colleagues has previously created a guide on port forwarding for your Hub Zero router which may help?

https://community.plus.net/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/Gaming/thread-id/17454/highlight/t...

custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

All you need to do is go to My Network in the Hub Manager, click on the device you want to use and tick 'Always use this IP address:'. Make a note of the IP address and it will always be that one.