Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LAN issues with TP Link router

FIXED
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: LAN issues with TP Link router

@johnstevens878 

Not as far as I'm aware. How would a router know whether an Ethernet was fixed or not? As long as the cable run is less than 100m there should not be any problems. The only other thing I can think of is poor connections so it will be interesting to see if it reliably passes continuity testing. Let us know how you get on.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

johnstevens878
Dabbler

@Dan_the_Van Cables are labelled 4 pair. The LAN ports on the AX55 all work. The wired in connections are point to point I think? ie. Ethernet female socket in living room going to male ethernet end which is plugged into the router. 

I first had an issue with them where I was getting very slow speeds or an intermittent connection which fails to initialise (exactly what is happening now) but this was resolved by changing from a Cat5 to a Cat6 cable which was being used to connect the device. This was when using purely the home hub. I haven't been able to get the LAN connections working without plugging directly into the AX55. Hopefully that makes sense.

The only difference now is that the connections are running through the wired in connections to the AX55. Everything else is exactly the same. Have tried swapping a few more cables but no joy. 

@Baldrick1 Will let you know how that goes.

johnstevens878
Dabbler

Managed to get a stable connection briefly, picked up as Unidentified Network with no internet, however the Ethernet light is on for the AX55 so that's registering it, although within the router manager nothing appears as attached to the LAN port.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@johnstevens878 

You are not by any chance using Powerline devices on this link?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

johnstevens878
Dabbler

No I'm afraid not. Literally just device - cable - WIC - router

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

To clarify what is the WIC you refer to?

johnstevens878
Dabbler

Internal cabling within the house. Cat6 cable runs from an ethernet socket in a room, to where the router is and is plugged into a LAN port.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@johnstevens878 

thanks for clarifying, a WIC could refer to several things.

Internal cabling within the house

So do you have ethernet sockets in several rooms with same number cables going to where the router is?  For instance, three rooms = three cables or three sockets  

Did you inherit this with the house?

johnstevens878
Dabbler

Correct, four rooms, four sockets, four cables. No the house was recently renovated and it's something the electrician added in. I'm trying to rule out any issues my end before adding it to snag list.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@johnstevens878  Just to clarify the ethernet cable arrangement, at the end away from the router you use a flexible patch cable from a device to a socket but at the other end of the Cat 6 Cable ( the WIC as you call it)  does that have an Ethernet (RJ45 ) male directly connected and plugged into the router. If the Cat6 is solid core this is likely to be unreliable connection, most RJ45 connectors are designed for stranded flexible cables, I believe you can get special ones to work on solid core cables but they are not common.

I suspect that the cables connecting to the router are faulty, you should really have fixed sockets and patch cables at both ends of the cable.

johnstevens878
Dabbler

@RealAleMadrid Yes, flexible patch cable from device into ethernet socket in wall, Cat6 cable runs to router where it connects with an RJ45 male end. The cable is solid core.

https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/networking/network-accessories/network-plugs-couplers/10613-idc-punch-d... - should something like this have been used for the connection to the router? I would like to think it's the connections that are faulty as opposed to the entire cable.

And just so it's clear in my head - really the Cat6 cable should be socket to socket with patch cables used at either end?