Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LAN issues with TP Link router

FIXED
johnstevens878
Dabbler

LAN issues with TP Link router

I'm trying to install a TP Link AX3000 (AX55) into my home network. 

My set up is Plusnet Hub2 router/modem, connected via ethernet port to WAN port on AX55. I then have four LAN connections around the house which I'm trying to link in via the AX55.

The wireless works fine, as expected speeds. However my wired in connections are not, they are all Cat6 cables.

Eg. Laptop connected into living room WIC, in turn into TP link router. Identifying network appears intermittently in network settings but nothing is established. However if I connect my laptop directly into the TP link it works fine. All the lights are showing on the router as they should be. Same result with each of the wired in connections.

The wired in connections are fine, they work as expected if plugged directly into the plusnet modem.

It seems that the extra connection is blocking the wired network somehow. 

I'm using settings recommended by plustnet. The connection type is Dynamic IP.

I have limited knowledge here so it could be something obvious I'm doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

25 REPLIES 25
dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Re: LAN issues with TP Link router

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Fix

@johnstevens878  Welcome to the Community forum.

How have you set this up? If the Hub 2 is in modem/router mode then the AX 55 should be set as an Access Point. If the AX 55 is set as a Router then the Hub 2 should be set as a Bridge Modem.

In their default settings I would guess that both are set as routers, which is not recommended.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

@johnstevens878 

There two modes the AX53 can work, as a router or wireless access point.

Router mode is intended to completely replace the router functions of the Hub two, where as AP mode (wireless access point) will extend your current wireless network and wired network.

Your description how you've set the AX53 up is as a router.

So if you want to keep the Hub Two functions and add the AX53 you will need to change the mode setting to AP.

If you no longer need the Hub Two functions and just use AX53 you need to enable bridge mode on the Hub Two with a wired connection from LAN 1, 2 or 3 to the AX53 WAN.

If I were you I'd be using the Hub Two in bridge mode, using both in router mode should be avoided as it introduces double NAT

Let us know if you need further assistance

Dan.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Sorry about references to a AX53, I was looking at one yesterday. However whatever I said applies to a AX55 as well.

There is some help for a AX55 here https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/archer-ax55/#video and more importantly the user manual https://static.tp-link.com/upload/manual/2021/202112/20211230/1910013020_Archer%20AX55_UG_REV1.0.0.p... 

Dan.

johnstevens878
Dabbler

Thanks for this both.

So I've put the Hub 2 into bridging mode and set up the AX55 again however I can't get any connection to the internet. I've used the settings that plusnet recommend when setting up the router. I'm looking through the manual for anything else I should be doing but any thoughts?

johnstevens878
Dabbler

ok so weirdly I tried again using a browser to access to router settings as opposed to the tether app and it worked.....Cheers both.

johnstevens878
Dabbler

Ok I spoke to soon, hopefully last issue....

When I connect in straight through the router with cable it all works fine. When I try and use my wired in connections it picks up the network and says internet should be there but clearly isn't working. Sometimes this connection drops out.

To me this would suggest there is an issue with the wired in connections but I know they should work as they did when plugged into the plusnet hub. 

Is there a setting I should have changed due to the extra link? I've tried various cables but getting the same result so a bit confused.

Thanks...

Baldrick1

@johnstevens878 wrote:

Just to confirm, you are using PPPoE. VLAN should be set to OFF as this is handled by the Hub 2 still. The Hub 2 should show a pink wire.

How are your wired in Ethernet cables connected, to the Hub 2 or the AX55? They need to go to the AX55

Moderator and Customer

johnstevens878
Dabbler

Yes PPPoE and VLAN is off, by pink wire do you mean the LED colour on the hub? If so yes.

And yes wires into AX55.

Some background might help - when I was first testing the connections just using the hub I was getting something similar happening, whereby the connections would either establish and drop out quickly, or not connect at all. I was using a Cat5e cable from laptop into the connections. I changed this to a new Cat6 cable and all worked ok. 

I've tried various cables but am getting similar results, the connection never holds or says it's active but webpages just time out.

Baldrick1

@johnstevens878 

Sorry, of course I meant a pink light.

So to recap, if you use a spare Ethernet cable it all works but if you use fixed Ethernet wiring you have problems? Have you checked over your fixed wiring using a cable tester? An example. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bopfimer-Network-Ethernet-Battery-Included/dp/B091XVGNSX/ref=sr_1_14?keywor...

Moderator and Customer

johnstevens878
Dabbler

No I have not, purchased and will give it a go. In my mind it must be something to do with my connections as otherwise I wouldn't be getting any signal when connected directly to the router.

Baldrick1

@johnstevens878 

Probably a wild theory but is your fixed wiring at least CAT5E cable? If it is old/cheap CAT 5 or lower, whiist I would expect the router to just switch from 1Gbps to 100Gbps mode, maybe it's trying to use the full router gigabit capability and falling over in the process?

Moderator and Customer

johnstevens878
Dabbler

Yeh the fixed wiring is Cat 6. My first thoughts were that it was poorly wired but it does work in a basic setup. It is strange that I'm having the same issue I was at first, that was resolved by using a newer cable to connect with. The connection tester should highlight an issue here at least.

So the connection to the internet is fine, the wireless connection is fine, the AX55 works when wired directly to a device. The problem only appears when using the additional wired in connections.

Could there be any settings I need to change with the LAN ports on the AX55 to deal with the extra link?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

These connections you refer to, are they point to point or something else?

I would expect a modern LAN interface of a router and pc to support 10, 100 and 1000 Mbps but may be not 100Gbps!

A worthwhile check of the cables is to see if there are eight (4 pair) or four (2 pair) wires in the plug, 2 pair would be cat5.

Some manufactures only supply 2 pair utp cables if the product does not support above 100Mbp.

Edit:-

Could there be any settings I need to change with the LAN ports on the AX55 to deal with the extra link?

Not that I can see on the GUI. 

Have these connections every worked and what were they used for?

Dan