cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a new Plusnet Router coming soon?

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Is there a new Plusnet Router coming soon?

I have been a customer for over 20 years and have just renewed my broadband contract today. I did, however, see in a Facebook Plusnet Broadband Support Group that people are mentioning that Plusnet are going to be releasing a new router very soon. Firstly, has anyone here heard this and, if true, would I be allowed to have one or have I missed the boat by renewing already? I have a Plusnet Hub One Router at present.

Annie
21 REPLIES 21
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Is there a new Plusnet Router coming soon?

@Annie 

There is good reason to believe PlusNet will be launcing a FTTP product before the end of the year (a senior staffie gave an interview saying as much). It is believed (though not provan) that a new router will be introduced at the same time.

Current thoughts are it'll be a re-badged BT SmartHub One or Two - as part of the rumour mill BT are supposed to be introducing a new router as well (SmartHub3 ?).

However, until an offical announcement is made it's all speculation.

Brian

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Hi Annie

Yes, there has been talk of a new PN router, but don't hold your breath! Chances are it will go first to new customers. I'll guess it will be based on the BT HH6 just as the Hub One is based on the HH5. As a cheap and cheerful router Hub One does its job for most people but many of us are very happy with the HH6 at £5-£20 on auction sites. My HH6 gives at least 20% better wifi. Plenty of info on setting it up from stickies at start of this thread, the guide is detailed and easy to follow.

Best wishes, Mike

Annie
Rising Star

Thank you @bmc and @Longliner - I'll wait and see what transpires. I guess FTTP means them having to route a new cable into my house. I am not sure I want to go to all that trouble - I keep my router upstairs.

I had trouble a while ago with broadband dropouts but Plusnet sent me a replacement Hub One a few months ago which is going OK in the main so there's no need to change anything immediately.

Annie
bmc
Hero

@Annie 

To get FTTP it has to be available for your property. Use the following to check.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

You'd need to see "WBC FTTP" in the left hand column (not FTTP on Demand).

Yes, a new cable does need to come into your house and a small Optical Network Terminater (ONT) fixed on the wall. OpenReach can (and do) use the existing phone line entry point to save drilling. However, if you have an overhead feed the new line can be placed elsewhere (within reason).

Brian

Annie
Rising Star

@bmc 

Thanks Brian. It only came up with FTTP On Demand which is odd because they've digging up the estate in recent months and it was something to do with fibre broadband. They finished ours about 3 weeks ago and we were the last ones. Maybe it'll be coming in due course.

Annie
bmc
Hero

@Annie 

It could be one of the other providers. You can check here

https://www.openreach.com/

Brian

Annie
Rising Star

@bmc That link says FTTC for my postcode. Not to worry. I'm satisfied with my broadband in any case.

Annie
bmc
Hero

@Annie 

Unfortunately the term "fibre"  is used for both FTTC & FTTP which can and does cause confusion. From what you said about the work being done I'm surprised it's not for pure fibre. I can't see why OR would be doing so much if it was for FTTC which you already have. I have one final checker if you want to try. It should list any provider (active or in build).

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/en-gb/broadband-coverage

Can you remember whose vans were doing the work. If not OR or one of the other alternative suppliers then there should have been signs up saying on whose behalf they were working.

In one respect it doesn't matter. You're happy with your current service. However, FTTP does provide a more stable connection and you should receive close to the advertised speeds so is always worht considering if available.

In respect of your original query I suspect (as originally mentioned) that PlusNet won't be handing out new routers willy nilly. I also supsect a lot of people will ask for one!!! As a customer of 20 years standing you might well have a good case for asking.

Brian

Annie
Rising Star

@bmc 

Thanks Brian. That last link says I can get Ultrafast Broadband at 600Mbps. I can't remember who was doing the work but they had banners with a green background and yellow writing (I think). It wasn't the name of a supplier I recognised so I wondered whether they were contracted doing the work.

Annie
Annie
Rising Star

@bmc 

I'm in Plymouth and I just Googled it and found this: https://www.cityfibre.com/news/cityfibre-kick-starts-plymouths-full-fibre-future/

I'm fairly sure this was the company.

Annie
bmc
Hero

@Annie 

If you look again at the Ofcom checker it should say CityFibre near the bottom of the window. When I did mine OpenReach was shown but not highlighted as such.

So faster speeds are available if ever desired but you would have to leave PlusNet.

Brian

Annie
Rising Star

It just said Virgin and Openreach but then Openreach just says up to 80 Mbps when I click through to them. I wonder if Plusnet will one day be able to offer these speeds. I'm in no hurry but they would probably get left behind if they don't keep up with the latest offerings.

Annie
bmc
Hero

@Annie 

If you can currently receive download speeds of 30+ then OpenReach will be in no hurry to upgrade their infrastructure to support FTTP - they're spending their time elsewhere. They might get to you eventually.

It's possible that the CityFibre network in Plymouth isn't yet live so isn't showing up on the Ofcom checker. You can check both them and Virgin to see what might be available.

https://www.cityfibre.com/

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

What really gets my goat is Government support plus the profit from my connection being spent by Openreach installing FTTP in areas that are already being serviced by another fibre installer.

Meanwhilw we in rural villages do not appear in any plans for the upgrade and are left in the 20th century.

Why oh why can't these companies be made to cover as much of the country with FTTP as is practicable before they start a competition war between themselves in the easy to cover cities?

My only consolation is that this is saving pretty country villages from being overrun with working from home townies coming from big cities and buying up property, hence inflating prices out of the range of locals.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'