cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a 12 device limit to connected devices.

FIXED
Bleakers
Hooked

Re: Is there a 12 device limit to connected devices.

Hi, sorry, got to the arp.cmd via iPhone....

At the moment its showing 15 br0, however both laptops currently off....

Thanks

Bleakers

Bleakers
Hooked

also forgot to add sky box and Apple TV.....

Lots of WiFi....

Bripnet777
Grafter

Thanks,  I remember a couple of members saying the BT 6 router was a good stable router and he put  pretty impressive guide of how to set stuff up and more things to alter on it. 

Seems a good bet for folks having bought a load of extra gadgets and finding this `device limit` problem.

I was lucky with original question and Plusnet sent a better router where I used both channels and all seems fine.

But `fault` really was mine in hindsight, by adding more and more stuff to system.    Seems a bit like buying a Fiat 500 ,, then expecting Fiat to give me a people carrier when I have 6 kids !!!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Bleakers wrote:

I have connected to it:

via Ethernet ports:

• desktop PC
  • Canon Printer
  • BT power-line adapters master unit

Via WiFi:

• 3 x iPhone's
  • 2 iPad's
  • 6 Woox smart plugs
  • 2 Woox smart strips which on each has 3 switchable sockets and 1 bank switchable USB charging ports (I imagine these operate as a single connection each strip, rather than the individual sockets)
  • 2 laptops

Thanks. Seems to be just about on the limit then Sad

As previously stated, I often need to turn WiFi off for example on an iPhone or iPad to get a laptop to connect. This weekend we had visitors staying with multiple phones, laptops and iPad's and turning WiFi on and off etc was bonkers....

Not unexpected then.

I'm not sure what legitimate need constitutes, but I intend also change my heating system to Hive, so another WiFi device...

FYI, Hive operates via a wired connection to your router/network. The negotiation with the thermostats is then managed by the Hive Hub and not your router. It shouldn't add to this problem.

With the rise of SMART homes and the IoT, I can't see a device with a 16 unit limitation being viable?

Fair statement, and a concern we're increasingly mindful of.

Hi, sorry, got to the arp.cmd via iPhone....

At the moment its showing 15 br0, however both laptops currently off....

That sells it in which case. Definitely looking at a restriction born from the 1 device limit.

I'll leave it to @RandallFlagg to explore the possibility of sending you a different device...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Thanks for responding to this, @bobpullen it's appreciated.

@Bleakers - if you could pop me a PM across with your username, I'd be happy to send you a Hub One.

Best wishes

Dave

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Bleakers - apologies, I'll need your username AND postcode please.

Thanks

Dave

Bleakers
Hooked

Thanks, message sent.....

Bleakers

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

And router sent, @Bleakers - thanks for the info!

Dave

werna26

Hi,

I have the same issue, got lots of smart bulbs and smart speakers - could you send me a Hub 1 as well please?

Thanks

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @werna26,

I've sent one of those out for you. 

paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

A few comments:

1) technically, some low-cost routers will restrict the maximum number of wifi connections - and to be honest, I think that's what's happening here.

2) Of course, it's possible that the issue is that there's only 12 DHCP addesses set up in the pool: possible, but VERY unlikely!!!

3) Just because you get something free, doesn't mean it's good. Take many Microsoft free bits of software: they do the job, but if you need anything fancy, don't be too surprised if it doesn't do this. I guess that's what's happening here: the Sagecom router was chosen by Plusnet a few years ago, and back then "it was adequate for most users". Expectations now are much higher, we all have more wifi devices. 

A similar issue: you put the router in a non-optimal location, then wonder why certain bits of your house is lacking Wifi coverage.

Sometimes you have to accept that you need to replace the "free" product with something better....

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@paul_blitz wrote:

A few comments:

1) technically, some low-cost routers will restrict the maximum number of wifi connections - and to be honest, I think that's what's happening here.

What's happening here is described in an earlier post.

2) Of course, it's possible that the issue is that there's only 12 DHCP addesses set up in the pool: possible, but VERY unlikely!!!

This isn't what's happening.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

incompleat

Hello,

I also have one of the 2704N Routers and have hit this problem since Christmas with the addition of an iPad, Nintendo Switch and a couple of Google Home Minis added to the house. Is it possible to request a newer router also?

PaulPhoenix

Same problem here.  We have Sagemcom 2704N.

A couple of cameras and a new Echo device at Christmas have made us hit a limit.  We get can't connect on the most recently switched on device.   We can only resolve the problem by disconnecting another one or two.  

If the solution is to swap router can we get one please?

Thanks!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @incompleat I'd recommend calling our customer options team on 0800 013 2632 as we may need to recontract you to send a new router (the Hub One) out free of charge. 

Hi @PaulPhoenix I'd also recommend contacting customer options for the same reason as above but if you can drop us a post back afterwards we'll get a Hub One ordered as we won't normally offer this unless you're on a fibre connection.

Just make sure you're the account holder or the account holder is with you when you call.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet