cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a 12 device limit to connected devices.

FIXED
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: Is there a 12 device limit to connected devices.

Hi @Bripnet777, thanks for updating us.

We're pleased to hear that the new router has rectified your issues.

Please don't hesitate to get back in touch should you need any further assistance.

Grahams999tle

Hello,

I have the same issue.  Updating my home to a "smart home".  Purchased 3 Amazon Echo devices and 5 smart plugs.  I now have to manually disconnect devices from the PlusNet wifi router beyond 12 devices.  Therefore I cannot connect the last 3 smart plugs and when we have visitors they are unable to connect to the wifi.

Regards, Graham

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Grahams999tle, thanks for your post.

We're sincerely sorry to hear that you're being affected by this issue.

As we have clear evidence that a newer router will resolve the problem, I've just dispatched you a new Hub One which you should receive within the next 3-5 working days.

Please let us know how you get on and remember that we're here if you need any further assistance.

Grahams999tle

That's great.

Many thanks for your prompt response.

Kind regards, Graham

Bripnet777
Grafter

Hi,
     The guys are pretty quick on problems and is exactly the problem I experienced.  Everything was perfect but a limit to number of connected devices.   The Plusnet folks sent a new hub one and no problems since.  
Tip.
 The new hub one does use both bands ( 2.4 and 5 ) and probably find the echo's connect on the higher bands.  Not a problem if your two SSID is the same.  ( you can set them and sync ).  If want to differentiate them make sure you connect the smart devices that say "2.4 Ghz only". to your  relevant SSID for your 2.4 wifi.

I set my bands the same name and devices that can do both connect at what they want.

Hope that helps, let me know if any questions, but sure the guys will sort it.
regards
Brian
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@OskarPapa wrote:

As we have clear evidence that a newer router will resolve the problem...

Providing an alternative device does not resolve the problem. It just shoves it under the carpet Roll_eyes

I've opened a ticket with the vendor (ref: CPE-66) to ask for their thoughts on this, and we'll try replicating in the office. I would not expect the wi-fi radio to limit client devices in this way. To something more reasonable like 32 maybe. 12 though!? Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

VinceMarsters
Grafter
Fixes: 1

I have just come here as I have hit an unpublished limit in the high end TP-LInk VR2800 I have (50 Wi-Fi but only 25 on each channel) and was wondering if there was a limit on the Hub One as I am thinking of adding that in 'access point mode' just for the smart home plugs and lights. Seems odd to have these unpublished limits with the proliferation of smart home kit now, where virtually all of it is 2.4GHz only but the required bandwidth in the channel needed for it is limited.

@bobpullen Are you able to confirm the hidden limit within the Hub One please?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@VinceMarsters, if there is one, I'm fairly certain it's not < 32/channel.
Regarding the originally reported issue with the Hub Zero. I failed to replicate it, and was able to successfully connect 13+ Wi-Fi devices to the router. I took a screenshot of the ARP table from the router at the time. I'll dig it out when I'm next in the office (on leave at the mo).

Edit:

connected_devices_arp.jpg

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Mr_Ade

Hi All,     2704n Router

I am having exactly the same issues.

I have recently added 2 chromecast devices to my home network and now cannot get all of my devices to connect at the same time.

My wifi device 'limit' seems to be around 15 -

How do I go about getting another router from plus net ?

Thanks

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Mr_Ade,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. Just to dive a little further into what could be causing the issue here, are you able to connect more devices if you remove the chromecasts from the equation? Further to this, are you able to add more devices if only one of the chrome casts are in use? (When attempting with one, please ensure that both chromecasts are tried solely at one point, as this may help to narrow down if one of these devices is causing an issue)

Regarding a router replacement, it would be best at this stage to try and narrow down where the problem lies first, as replacing the router isn't always a guaranteed resolution. With that being said, the only other model of router that we can supply is the Hub One router which costs £99+£6.99 for the postage and packaging, if it's purchased outside of a contract renewal.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Mr_Ade

Thanks for your reply.

To be honest it did this before I added the chromecasts, so I can rule out the chromecasts as causing the fault. Since adding these extra devices this just confirms that there is a problem with the router when several devices are connected.

If I have a visitor who logs on to my network then one of my other devices gets thrown off, its as simple as that.

No other pattern other than when a new device connects an existing devices gets thrown off.

Not sure I want to buy a replacement router as only been with plusnet since January 2019 so there may be some warranty on the router, would prefer a software update on the router if available?

Many Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us.

I agree it shouldn't be necessary to replace the router for this.

I can see Alex has emailed @bobpullen to investigate this further, we'll see if he has made any progress on the back of his post Here or has any further advice to provide.

We'll update you as soon as we know more.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cindycchan
Hooked

Hello, I joined Plusnet in November 18 and have a 2704n router. I have recently been trying to add more devices to my WiFi network but appear to have reached a limit on the number of connected devices because I’m only able to add a new device when I disconnect another device. The router is also not dual band so I’m unable to use the 5gHz band.
I have seen on this thread that others have experienced the same issue with adding devices. Aside from replacing the router with a better one has anyone been able to come up with a solution?
Thanks
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @cindycchan,

I'm afraid we've not been able to replicate this issue. Could you confirm how many and what specific devices you have connected when you experience this problem please.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
cindycchan
Hooked

I am trying to use the 16 items below but the limit seems to be 15 as I have to disconnect one before I can connect another.

6x smart plugs
2x smart remotes
2x Google home mini
1x chromecast audio
1x iPad
2x phone
2x laptop