Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Plusnet better than Talktalk @38mbs

Sayek
Hooked

Is Plusnet better than Talktalk @38mbs

Hello all

I have been with Talktalk (38mbs) for couple years. They are the only ISP I have tried fibre on.

I am shopping around if anything better for similar cost.

So has anyone moved from Talktalk to Plusnet and able to share their experiences please Smiley

Did the connection speed change?   Did the Wi-Fi range change?

Another point i notice people are using BT smart hub 6. Is that modem a big upgrade over the Plusnet default hardware.

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Is Plusnet better than Talktalk @38mbs

@Sayek 

Both TT and Plusnet use the BT infrastructure so I would not expect the speed to be any different. 

BT Retail supply a Smarthub 6 or Smarthub 2. Plusnet, who are BT's budget provider, supply a Hub One, which is an old BT Home Hub 5A in a different case and slightly tweeked firmware. Enough said?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Sayek

The supplied PlusNet router is a re-badged BT HH5a

Brian

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

I moved from plusnet to Talktalk (2 years ago) and back to PN (1 year ago), IMO there's no difference in performance but support is better here. Just following the deals Wink

If you have the talktalk HG635 router that can be used on PN and gives good performance.

Sayek
Hooked

Thanks @Baldrick1@npr  & @bmc  for your feedback Smiley

Positive feedback. In that case I shall move over to Plusnet shortly as they seem to have better deal of £60 cashback.

So is the BT Hub 6 upgrade people doing better than the default hardware of re-badge Hub 5.

@npr That HG635 modem is very old, Talktalk recently released a new modem and seems to be decent.

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Have you checked out the cashback sites? 😉 £££

The hg635 is still worth using IMO, it was replaced by the hg633 which is locked to TT.

Baldrick1

@Sayek 

In my experience the Smarthub 6 does not suffer the wireless problems reported by Hub One users. Neither does it exhibit the noise problems reported by some. See here for a comparison of wireless performance  https://www.businessdirect.bt.com/content/uni2/documentation/c6nx/bt_smart_hub_test_report.pdf

Moderator and Customer

Sayek
Hooked

@npr 

When i joined Talktalk they issued HG633. It was a terrible router with contact drop outs.

It was so bad i bought a used aftermarket TP-Link VR900 and it was day and night until it died 6 months ago.

Later Talktalk released D-link 3782 which was maybe same rubbish spec as HG633.

The lastest router Sagem 5364 seems to have improved a bit but no where near the VR900 i used before.

Noticed the £70 cashback if i jump to Plusnet Smiley

Sayek
Hooked

@Baldrick1 

Thanks for the feedback.

So when i move to Plusnet its ideal to buy a used BT smart hub 6 from Ebay then.

Seen they sell around £25.

Baldrick1

@Sayek 

It’s your choice whether to get one. They go for less than £25. The business versions have more accessible options such as you can select which DNS server to use. There are FFTP versions around. These have a red WAN sticker fixed to one of the yellow LAN sockets. These work but are best avoided as you lose the use of one LAN socket. Setting instructions are here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer