Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet linked tv buffering

FIXED
Steve001
Dabbler

Internet linked tv buffering

I have plusnet fibre to the cabinet and Hub One.
Lately I’ve been experiencing buffering on my tv when I try to watch iPlayer or More4 or similar. It’s getting worse so I can no longer watch.
Any suggestions?
49 REPLIES 49
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Internet linked tv buffering

Hi there Steve, I'm sorry to see that there's an issue with streaming to your TV. I've just taken a look into this and line tests aren't showing signs of any problems, is the TV connected over WiFI? If it is and the TV is situated close to the router it would be worth connecting them via a network cable. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Steve001
Dabbler

Unfortunately the TV is some distance from the router.
The tv is on the ground floor and the router on the 2nd floor (typical Victorian terrace house). There are (at least) 2 electricity circuits in the house and the tv and router are on separate ones.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No worries, I'd take a look at changing the router's wireless channels as the next step. If you have access to an Android device like a phone or tablet there's a free app called "WiFi Analyzer" which will show you the best available channel to set the router to. The information and links to support pages here should help too: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

Please let me know how you get on. 

Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Steve001
Dabbler

Thank you.

Hmmm. The link says:
‘Here you can change the channels until you find the best one’

What exactly am I looking for?
Steve001
Dabbler

Also - is there a iPhone WiFi analyser app instead please?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Steve, I think there's an iOS equivalent with the same name if you want to take a look on the app store.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

If you use Windows 10 or 11 there is a Wifi Analyzer and Scanner by Web Provider which can be downloaded from the Microsoft Store

Without saying the windows PC has to wireless for it to be of any use!

HTH

Dan.

Steve001
Dabbler

So I haven’t managed to get into my router settings yet but I have used the analyser.
Two days ago it was showing I was using channel 6 for 2.4 waveband but now it seems to be using channel 11. I wonder why this is.
The tv uses 2.4 and in the room I can see there are 3 other networks sharing the same channel and about as equally ‘strong’
All of the 2.4 channels look pretty busy so not sure changing to a different one willl help.
The signal is (obviously) stronger for my router the neater I get to the router itself but I can’t move it.
Any ideas?
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Steve001 

If I recall correctly there are 13 channels for the 2.4 band. However, they over lap by 2 channels so effectively there are only 3 "clear" channels - 1, 7 & 13

Your router may be "smart" - looking for the least congested channel each time a unit connects to it.

Brian

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@bmc Ch. 1, 6, and 11 actually

John
Steve001
Dabbler

I’m using Hub One.
Would that be able to do the‘smart’ thing?
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@jab1 

Thanks - I did say "if I recall" as I wasn't exactly sure of things. Been a good long while since I had a look WiFi channels.

Brian

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @Steve001, thanks for the info. I'm really sorry for the issues that you are having!

Can you advise if your router has the 2.4GHz & 5GHz band split? If not, it may be worth doing this to see if it helps. You can find help with this on the thread here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/td-p/1351950

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Steve001
Dabbler

I don’t know. I’ll look at the thread and see in the next few days and report back.
Thanks for now everyone.