cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infrequent firmware updates

Beavis_666
Hooked

Infrequent firmware updates

Just had a look on my router, and the current firmware is on the below version.  Please tell me PlusNet update the firmware more often every 2 years??  Does Plusnet not consider regular updates to keep customer networks secure a priority?  Bit shocking if not ...

Cheers !!

Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated 22/08/19
12 REPLIES 12
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Infrequent firmware updates

@Beavis_666 

There is an update currently being rolled out but I believe that it's to deal with wireless issues. Otherwise you have the current version.

Why do you believe that the firmware needs regular updates to keep your network secure? If something isn't broken then you don't need to keep fixing it.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Beavis_666
Hooked

It's not always about fixing something that's broken.  Two years is a LONG time in computer security.  If systems aren't patched regularly, they become more susceptible to hacks/malware etc as new vulnerabilities and weaknesses are discovered.  I'd be curious to see if anyone's done a pen-test on one of these routers.   You tell a black-hat to go to town on a device that hasn't been updated in 2 years, they'll have a field day.    

Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Totally agree. Firmware updates with patches and new features are a must.
Draytek, for example, even update their EOL routers with critical patches, whereas
current ones are updated on a regular basis.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1

@Beavis_666 , @Edinburgh_wg .

Plusnet are quite happy for you to source your own modem/router. Settings are here. https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Moderator and Customer

Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

But the point wasn't whether they're happy or not, because we all know they are.

The  point was that firmware upgrades are infrequently released, if at all, and especially for the router that they still use, and that in itself can be a security risk. 

Beavis_666
Hooked

The average consumer barely knows what a router is, never mind having the skillset to source and install a 3rd party one. 

It's up to the supplier to provide kit that's suitable for the job, if the router is vulnerable to more and more CVEs over time, that's just putting the customer networks and indeed Plusnet themselves at risk of malware, botnets etc.  

Saying you can change your router for something else is passing the buck.

I was running my own kit (Ubiquiti USG) for some time til it became unreliable.    To give some credit, the Plusnet router is a fairly solid bit of bit (except for things like not being able to change basic config like DNS servers etc).   But lack of updates in this day and age is slightly unsettling.  

Baldrick1

@Beavis_666 wrote:

It's up to the supplier to provide kit that's suitable for the job, if the router is vulnerable to more and more CVEs over time, that's just putting the customer networks and indeed Plusnet themselves at risk of malware, botnets etc.  

But where is the evidence showing that it's not suitable for the job?

The fact that it hasn't been updated for a couple of years doesn't mean that it's a risk. These are basic devices and don't have the bells and whistles that adorn many third party devices. The more complex the beas, the more vulnerable it is.

Moderator and Customer

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@Beavis_666 wrote:

The average consumer barely knows what a router is, never mind having the skillset to source and install a 3rd party one. 

I would query that statement - many, many Plusnet subscribers - and most of those, I suspect are 'average' - have easily and safely changed from the provided hardware to the HH6.

Information on sourcing and installing one is readily available on this forum - thanks to @Baldrick1 

John
Beavis_666
Hooked

"many, many Plusnet subscribers - and most of those, I suspect are 'average' - have easily and safely changed from the provided hardware to the HH6."

Which is slightly proving my point: people know that the Plusnet router is lacking and actually feel that it's not up to scratch.

What sort of percentage of users have changed?   Even 1% of users would equal "many" based on a large number of subscribers.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Don't really want to get into an argument on this, but my point was that you said 'The average consumer barely knows what a router is' and that was the point I was making - although the kit supplied by most ISPs should be more correctly described as a modem/router, or 'hub', if you like.

Although I have never used either the Hub0 or Hub1, I imagine for a large number of PN subscribers they are fine.

I've no idea how many have changed, but the support thread on the subject is quite long, and I suspect others who haven't posted will have followed it and just switched.

John
Baldrick1

@Beavis_666 wrote:

Which is slightly proving my point: people know that the Plusnet router is lacking and actually feel that it's not up to scratch.

Plusnet are BT Retail's budget ISP and supply a budget hub. BT Residential is BT Retail's premier ISP. This costs more and they supply a better hub. With a bit of adjustment to the settings the premium product hub can be used on the budget providers infrastructure.

Of course there are better products out there but you are not going to get them for free from a budget ISP.

However, this is beside the point. It has nothing to do with your desire to have frequent firmware updates, without being able to specify a reason.

Moderator and Customer