cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect password for wifi but not so

barty
Hooked

Incorrect password for wifi but not so

There are similar threads going years back. What are plusnet doing to fix the problem? Resetting the router each time is not feasible.
7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Incorrect password for wifi but not so

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @barty, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you're having connection issues with your router as of recent. If you haven't already, then I'd recommend initially going through the wireless improvement steps below on both splitting the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies along with adjusting your wireless channel to get the most out of your wireless performance and hopefully address the issues you've been seeing.

The guide below will show you how to log into the router and change the wireless channel as it's usually another router in the area on the same or similar channel that will be causing issues for both wireless frequencies. Before picking a channel I'd suggest downloading a free app on the android store called "wifi analyzer" (blue and white wifi logo) which will scan your area for all the routers and show what channels they are on between 1-13. Although the above app isn't essential it helps you pick where your router would be best in terms of channels and saves a lot of time doing it via trial and error.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'. What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection. Once this is changed, we will need to keep an eye on it for a day or 2 to see if the issue continues. If it does, the next step would be to change the wireless channel. Keeping in mind the original 2.4Ghz unchanged name network connection would be the best to connect your devices  to for a stronger signal.  
(When deciding which device goes on what frequency keep in mind that the 5GHz is designed for close range stationary devices and standard 2.4GHz the one which gets the wireless around your property further.)

4) Following the above guide to get to your 'Advanced Settings' page, you will need to change the settings within the 2.4 GHz Wireless tab and the 5 GHz Wireless tab.

5) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels, This can also need doing under '5 GHz Wireless' to cover both signals. Give it 3-4 hours of testing to see if the issue still persists and try to change the channel again if you see little or no improvement.

Let us know how it goes.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@barty - please have a read of the thread pinned to the top of this discussion board - https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/td-p/1696363

You're problem is almost certainly related.
If you drop a reply over there then I'll push a router update to you when I'm next able.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

barty
Hooked

Thanks for your advice, but what you are describing is beyond my capabilities. I’m accessing this forum via my mobile data on my phone. I think I’d rather cancel my account. I never had this issue with my previous provider.
barty
Hooked

Thanks Bob, I’ve tried resetting and that didn’t help.
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @barty

Are you able to check to see whether the firmware update has now been pushed through at all? If so, and the problem has still not been resolved, I'd be happy to send out a new router to see if this improves things for you.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@barty - I have just pushed a software update to your router that should resolve the problem. You'll need to switch the hub off/back on again to apply it.

@adam945 - sending a replacement router is not going to achieve anything.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵