Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub Two name resolution unexplained response

FIXED
ksaro1
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hub Two name resolution unexplained response

I've attached screenshots to illustrate the issue I am seeing with my Hub Two router. I have all of the devices on my home network using the Hub Two router as their domain name server. I have 2 Ethernet connected devices, an iMac and a Raspberry PI (RPI), connected to the Hub Two. However, the Hub Two only resolves the name of one of these devices, the RPI. It doesn't resolve the name of the iMac. I am baffled.

I'm not sure what order the screenshots are presented in when I upload them, but they should show the 2 devices' details as reported by the Admin pages of the Hub Two router and the results of the dig command when run on each of the 2 devices.

Screenshot 2022-10-15 at 11.01.00.jpgScreenshot 2022-10-15 at 11.06.47.jpgScreenshot 2022-10-15 at 11.04.57.jpgScreenshot 2022-10-15 at 11.02.09.jpgScreenshot 2022-10-15 at 11.22.01.jpgScreenshot 2022-10-15 at 11.21.44.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Hub Two name resolution unexplained response

@ksaro1 

I have no idea why this is an issue but the noticeable difference is that one has a static IP address and the other uses DHCP, with the address being reserved by the hub.

I assume that this is a 'feature' of using the two connection options.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ksaro1
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@ksaro1 

I have no idea why this is an issue but the noticeable difference is that one has a static IP address and the other uses DHCP, with the address being reserved by the hub.

I assume that this is a 'feature' of using the two connection options.

@Baldrick1 - I also thought this was due to DHCP vs static. But I noticed that my 2nd RPI device, which uses both a WIFi and an Ethernet connection (for Raspberry-related testing purposes) also shows as DHCP yet its hostname is resolved correctly by the Hub Two. I'm wondering if the '-' in the hostname is causing this issue?

This is a slight pain because when I'm working on any of my RPI machines and I want to access my iMac for ssh or scp etc. then I have to lookup its IP address on the Hub Two to use rather than use its know hostname. And it also means i can't use any scripts/programs that access my iMac remotely because its IP address will change each time the iMac is rebooted.

Screenshot 2022-10-15 at 17.07.14.jpg

Screenshot 2022-10-15 at 17.03.55.jpgScreenshot 2022-10-15 at 17.04.24.jpg

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Fix

but the iMac is showing as 'not connected' ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ksaro1
Rising Star

@MisterW wrote:

but the iMac is showing as 'not connected' ?

@MisterW - Well spotted. I missed that detail. I rebooted my iMac and the Hub Two now shows it as connected and resolves its hostname.

I do run a VPN on my iMac from time to time and i thought this may be the issue to make the Hub Two think that the iMac is not connected. However, I ran the VPN and it still shows as connected.

I'll keep my eye on this now though and try to see when the iMac again shows as not connected, I did attempt to browse the event log but mine is over 200 pages. Is there any way to dump the log to a file that I can search?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Sounds like the iMac is failing to renew its dhcp lease.

Don't know if there's an export function for the log. Might be worth filtering on dhcp , that might reduce the size

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ksaro1
Rising Star

@MisterW wrote:

Sounds like the iMac is failing to renew its dhcp lease.

Don't know if there's an export function for the log. Might be worth filtering on dhcp , that might reduce the size

@MisterW DOH! I missed the Export option at the top of the Event Log page. You can export as a text file.

I see a Connect and then a Disconnect a short time later. No re-connection. Yet I'm logged in to the Admin console via the iMac and I see log entries for the Admin console activity with the iMac's IP address being logged. Odd.

I think I'll have to research this a bit more. The name resolution issue is definitely due to the Hub Two showing the connection dropped. Why this connection is dropping and not re-connecting is now a mystery. I thought it may be due to the iMac going to sleep, but the timing of the log entries don't seem to tie in with sleep times. And, why doesn't the iMac re-connect on wake then?

ksaro1
Rising Star

OK, I've now connected my iMac to my TP-Link AP and this issue hasn't returned. So the dropped connection would appear to be something to do with the Hub Two and the iMac.