Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub Two alternative

irritablegit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hub Two alternative

This morning I've been "upgraded" to full fibre and the Plusnet Hub Two.

My home network has been running fine for years with FTTC - TP Link router > connected to a TP Link 16 port ethernet switch > connected to various devices. 

First problem with the Hub Two, although it can "see" the devices connected by ethernet to the switch, those devies have no access to the internet.

So, maybe I have to buy a new switch, BUT

Second problem is, the Plusnet Hub Two doesn't have a schedule to automatically turn off the wifi at night.

So actually, I need to replace the Hub Two with something more flexible

If anyone has already replaced their Hub Two on full fibre, I'd be interested to hear what you've used.  I don't anticipate having any use for the Hub Two at all,

I look forward to all replies

17 REPLIES 17
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: Hub Two alternative

@irritablegit 

If your TP router worked on FTTC it should work on FTTP as far as I'm aware. The Hub2 then becomes a back up unit.

Brian

irritablegit
Rising Star

Well, having rebooted the Hub Two, it has suddenly started working with the switch, so at least I've got something to tide me over.

However, I still need an alternative router which has a schedule for the wifi, amongst other things

irritablegit
Rising Star

Now I have a clearer idea of what does and doesn't work, I might just try my current TP Link router, although I'm not optimistic ...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

What model is your Tp link router ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Does the old router have an Ethernet WAN port and can it be set to PPOE and use you PN username and password?

If so use that.
irritablegit
Rising Star

TP-Link VR900  v1  from 2016

irritablegit
Rising Star

It has a dual purpose LAN/WAN (+ 3 more LANs) port.  

That used to have the cable to the switch

The HUB TWO has a WAN ... but that has the Openreach cable from the new little box on the wall

It definitely has username and password to get onto Plusnet

As for PPOE ... that router isn't plugged in at the moment, but I've had a peep in the manual ... it only seems to mention PPOE re IPv6 connection ...     is that what I'm looking for ?Huh

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

@irritablegit you first need to switch the vr900 to Wireless Router mode ( manual page 16 ) to set port 4 as a WAN port.

Then setup the INternet connect as PPPoE page 14 using your PLusnet credentials as you used before, make sure VLAN ID is disabled. Then connect the ONT to port 4.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

irritablegit
Rising Star

Thank you MisterW - I shall have a look now and report back.

In the meantime, I probably won't have any internet ...

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

I too have had a quick look and believe that you could use it direct with the Openreach ONT.

Just set it up to use PPOE - not on ip6 - and away you go.
Mind you got Ben its age you would be better off with a newer one, with WiFi 6. After all what is the point of getting fibre but restricting it with a older slow router?

Ah beaten too it by @MrW
Protech
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

@irritablegit
From the manual
"Interchangeable LAN/WAN Port - Versatile Connectivity
The Archer VR900 supports DSL or Ethernet WAN connections (EWAN), which allows
users to have the flexibility of different Internet connections among DSL, cable or fiber
modem using its interchangeable LAN/WAN port. This unique feature makes it easier
when users need to change to fiber or cable services when necessary."
So it supports fttp wan connection and ppoe
" Appendix A: Specifications
ANSI T1.413, ITU G.992.1, ITU G.992.3, ITU G.992.5,
IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n, IEEE 802.11ac, IEEE
802.3, IEEE 802.3u, TCP/IP, PPPoA, PPPoE, SNTP, HTTP, DHCP, ICMP, Nat"

Edit @MisterW confirmed it
You can check out but you can never leave ( easily)
irritablegit
Rising Star

Well, it would appear from the manual that it could work, but actually getting it to work is another matter.

Right now I'm back on the Hub, but I shall have another go in due course.

Thanks to all 

I will report back ...

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@irritablegit 

Going back to one of your original problems, do you actually want to turn off all WiFi at night, or just restrict internet access for certain devices? (Maybe a child that won't go to bed when they are told? 😉  ).

If the latter, then in the Hub2's GUI, navigate to Home > Advanced Settings > Acces Control and you can selet timings on a per device basis, whilst still leaving WiFi avaiable for other users.

irritablegit
Rising Star

Hello Mr Paul

I really do want all wifi completely off at night.

I know that the government says it's safe and effective, but I don't believe a word of it.

Anyhow, it is now all working on the TP-Link router.

My main problems were 

1) forgetting that the user in the router needs "@plusdsl.net" on the end   !

2) trying to use the newly assigned network name etc which came with the Hub, when I just ignore everything that cam with it and the TP-Link just carries on as before on ye olde FTTC

Something which helped, at least to confirm I was doing the right thing - and really, it's simple, is this step by step description ... https://support.aquiss.net/en/knowledgebase/article/router-setup-guide-tp-link-archer-vr600

Someone mentioned the speed of a 6 year old router, but in reality the old FTTC has been 70 or above all these years, which was fast enough for everything we do.

FTTP is simply a) cheaper and b) I don't need a phone which only receives scam calls !   

I don't expect this new connection to be any noticeably faster

Most of the speed-talk is just marketing hype as far as I'm concerned.

Anyhow, thanks to all who joined in

Still, if anyone has a good (or bad) alternative to the Hub, I'd be interested to hear just in case, because my kit is getting on a bit 👍