cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - problems extending wi-fi range

Dalesman
Grafter

Hub One - problems extending wi-fi range

Follow up on an earlier request for advice. I want to install a CCTV network video recorder in the loft, which is not wireless and requires an ethernet connection to my Hub One, two floors down.  Hard wiring has been suggested, and it was my first thought, but it would be difficult in practice and I think it would only be the last resort.

With that in mind, I bought a Netgear wi-fi range extender which has an ethernet port, allowing me to connect the NVR to it in the loft. But set-up trials with everything in the same room have not been very successful.  Connecting the range extender to the Hub One by WPS refused to work and Netgear's instructions seemed to bear little resemblance to reality.  I managed to get it working by installing Netgear's Genie on my desktop, but the wifi connection keeps dropping even though the extender and Hub One are only 6 feet apart and it needs a power on/off to restore it.  I've just about given up with it and it will probably be returned.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a similar solution which is known to work reliably with the Hub One?!  Searching the forum, BT's Whole Home mesh sounds a possibility.

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: Hub One - problems extending wi-fi range

@Dalesman 

It would be a lot less confusing if you continued your previous post rather than effectively asking the same question all over again.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dalesman
Grafter

Apologies - I thought it better to post on what I thought was the more appropriate board.  That's why I started by saying it was an update on an earlier request.  Sometimes old threads don't attract much of a response too.  I guess mods could move it if they wish.  

Dalesman
Grafter

Baldrick1 - to continue, I followed your previous suggestions re. testing the coverage of the Hub One with a mobile phone, which appeared to be OK and giving similar speeds in the loft compared with close to the router, before buying a range extender which has failed to work reliably in my hands even when a few feet away from the Hub One.  It's hard to tell whether it's faulty or just not friends with the Hub One for some reason.

I note you also suggested a powerline adaptor might be suitable, but with a proviso that these can be affected by house wiring differences, suggesting an element of trial and error again.

I'm basically hoping someone could suggest a specific product that's known to work reliably with the Hub One, so that I can buy something with the confidence that it will do the job.  Maybe that's asking too much when everyone's circumstances are a bit different.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Dalesman 

Any wifi extender should work reliably with a Hub One. I have successfully used tp link devices. Regarding powerline units I also gave you a link to simple tests you can do to reduce the risk that these will not work well. https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Powerline-Unit-Performance/m-p/1607450...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dalesman
Grafter

Thanks, I didn't see your powerline tests earlier (I opened the first link, but not the link within the link).  Ground floor and first floor power are on different splits (as you might expect), and in this case your tests showed quite a big loss of upload speed, which is rather worrying for streaming video.

I've no idea (or way of testing) why the Netgear range extender is unstable.

Dalesman
Grafter

Further update for anyone interested.

As well as the very unstable behaviour of the Netgear wifi extender, Mrs. Dalesman started to complain that her iPhone and iPad were constantly dropping wifi. Oddly, other connected devices including my Android phone were not doing this, only the Apple ones.

With help from Plusnet Support (thanks James) the 2.4 and 5GHz bands were split and renamed, channel set to 11 instead of automatic, and all devices temporarily connected to the 2.4GHz band.  Result - order restored.

On the point of returning the Netgear wifi extender, I now wonder (but haven't yet tested) whether this was being affected in the same way as the Apple devices and will give it another chance.

Why is this happening suddenly? Presumably the router has been having trouble with wireless interference, causing it to keep flipping channels and bands, which some wifi devices can handle whilst others can't (no prizes for Apple).  What do I have that's new and could be causing said interference?  Couldn't be the CCTV Network Video Recorder that I'm trying to set up, could it?  I think it could.