cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One and Google Wifi / bridge mode

phil164

Hub One and Google Wifi / bridge mode

Hi

I was today sent a Hub One to replace a separate openreach modem. My set up was modem into Google Wifi which was then a mesh network around the house. 

After speaking to technical support it appears that Hub One does not have a bridge mode and so Google Wifi cannot connect to it - meaning the money I've spent on 3 access points is now wasted. Why do Plusnet provide equipment that cannot connect to customers own wifi, this seems ridiculous!

I called to see about cancelling my contract because luckily virgin have just come along to my street, but frustratingly plusnet won't waive the cancellation fee, despite their equipment being sub-standard.

has anyone else come across this?

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Hub One and Google Wifi / bridge mode

@phil164 

Why blame Plusnet for your buying choice? You could have bought a mesh system either with a built in modem or one designed to work as an Access Point. It was you who bought incompatible hardware.

Your options are:

1. Get another modem. The Openreach ones are widely available for little money on auction sites or buy a new VDSL modem, they are still available.

2. Buy a modem/router that can be configured as a bridge modem. TP Link ones are cheap.

3. Read your manual and see if you can set your Google thing up as an Access Point and use it with your Hub One.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

phil164

Appreciate your feedback, my point was that the original setup of plusnet supplying an openreach modem and separate wifi router (which i didn't use) meant that I could purchase additional hardware that worked fine. However, having now received a Plusnet Hub One (both modem and router together) which does not have a bridge/modem only mode means I am frustrated that a setup that previously worked now doesn't and seems like, to me, a step backward in functionality!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

and seems like, to me, a step backward in functionality!

It is actually a step forward, it replaces the original separate modem and router with a single box solution, because Openreach stopped supplying and supporting their supplied modem!.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@phil164 

The crux of this is that most of the advanced economies have FTTP as the standard means of accessing the Internet. The UK, still being in the 20th century, still generally only has FTTC, hence the incompatibility with internationally available hardware.

Such is the price of the UK spending billions on new train sets that people won’t be able to afford to use even if they can get to the inaccessible stations, rather than investing in modern communications and reducing the need to travel.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'