Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One & Asus RT-AX82U

FIXED
Motombo

Hub One & Asus RT-AX82U

Afternoon All,

New to the community and have limited knowledge around using separate Modems and Routers but in desperate need of some advice.

I have recently moved my account after a home move from fibre to ADSL (sadly no availability)

In order to squeeze the most out of the connect I purchased an Asus RT-AX82U, planning to use the Hub One solely as a modem and the wireless router fir improved speed and coverage.

Sadly it appears that I have been unable to get the two conversing with the ASUS admin screen telling me "The Network cable is unplugged".  The "internet" light on top of the ASUZ remains unlit. 

1. Hub One (LAN) to ASUS (WAN) - I have tried every possible combination as well!

2. I have set the IP on the ASUS to automatic and PPoE. (Using my broadband user name and password)

3. Tried the ASUS in post the default setting and Access Point Mode.

I have read that there may be compatibility issues with the two pieces of kit but if anyone has any ideas please let me know.  I would consider picking up a cheap modem if this is the case and would need to be pointed at a suitable device too.

Thank you in advance!

Ben

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Hub One & Asus RT-AX82U

@Motombo   Welcome to the forum.

Start again from scratch. Get your connection working with your Plusnet hub. You then need to set the ASUS unit up as an Access Point. You need to set the ASUS IP address to one in the range 192.168.1.2-63, for example 192.168.1.10. Your credentials are already entered in your Plusnet hub, not the Access Point. You use a LAN socket on the Plusnet hub. Read the ASUS manual for the connection at that end. It could be the WAN or a LAN one.  

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Motombo

Ok so up and running with the Hub One as a stand alone modem and router.

When setting up the ASUS its asking me to either set an automatic or static IP........I'm guessing static from your reply but its then asking me for:

Router set up states to use the WAN on the ASUS.

Subnet Mask

Default Gateway

DNS Server 1

DNS Server 2

Do I mirror these from my Hub One settings?

Baldrick1

Fix

@Motombo 

If it were me I wouldn't bother with these settings. All that you need to do is set the IP address in the suggested range on this page:

Asus1.jpg

The subnet mask is correct.

Then switch off the DHCP server here:

Asus2.jpg

That's it. When connecting it to your Plusnet hub try both the Asus WAN and LAN sockets.

Moderator and Customer

Motombo

@Baldrick1 Thank you so much!

After a great deal of tinkering, we are now up and running.  It ended up being LAN to LAN as you thought.  I had an issue not being able to connect to the router once Access Point was activated but managed to get around it by doing that last.

In your debt sir!

Baldrick1

@Motombo 

Glad that you are up and running. The reason that you lost contact with the Asus is because you changed its IP address. If you had put the new allocated IP address in to your browser it would have reconnected.

There's probably a way of getting it to work through the WAN socket if you go through the official route, but as I said, unless you are short of LAN sockets (you now have 6 available) then why bother.

Note that by using the Asus as an Access Point you lose the use of the other bells and whistles available if you connect it through a modem, but seeing that you are on ADSL there's probably little advantage.

On a more positive note, if/when FTTP comes to your area you will have a really good router that will connect directly to the new service.

Moderator and Customer

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, most Asus routers offer  Access Point Mode

0apmode.jpg

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-