Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One Not Connecting to My TP Link

Draddict
Hooked

Hub One Not Connecting to My TP Link

Hey all

So last week I had some speed issues and was sent a new Hub One by Plusnet - great, set up the new router and my laptop and phone etc was running WiFi a lot faster. However I am having a small issue with my TP Link and my desktop PC and I wondered if anyone out there could maybe help?

So, I have my desktop hooked up to the internet here with a TP Link. Therefore it says that I am connected to the internet by Ethernet, speeds are good, I'm typing on it now so it's obviously connected fine to the new router. HOWEVER... this morning I was trying to set up my HP Envy 6000 printer to the desktop, and it refuses to see the printer, despite my connecting it with a USB cable and also trying to set it up by WiFi (which it was connected by before changing my router). I looked into my network settings to see if the issue was there and I could see that while my desktop was connected to the internet just fine, the connection name was my OLD router connection, and the new one wasn't there at all. I mean I changed the name of the router etc but it just wasn't there, the old one was instead.

Can anyone help at all? I have looked online but can't seem to find any solution! Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Hub One Not Connecting to My TP Link

@Draddict If you change modem/routers, you have to reset your printer to default - in other words force it to forget previous wireless connections. Having never had an HP printer, I don't know how you would do it on yours, but the instructions should be in your user guide.

What is this 'TP Link'?

EDIT: After re-reading, I'm confused - if you are connected via the new router, the ethernet-connected desktop should be showing you connected via that - it shouldn't even be able to see the old connection.

John
Draddict
Hooked

Morning!

We've tried all sorts, we've uninstalled it, told the computer to forget it, switched it off, switched it on I have no idea what else to do with it!

The TP-Link is 2 plugs which extend the internet via ethernet cable to rooms away from the hub, so basically I have one ethernet cable in the back of the hub in an ethernet slot, that leads to the first TP-Link plus near the router, the other one is connected to the desktop with another ethernet cable and plugged in near my desktop. I probably should have been a bit more clear, TP-Link is actually the company name I think lol, I have a powerline adapter that basically uses your existing electrical circuit to deliver a fast connection to other rooms in the house without losing speed or performance.

As I said though it's showing that it is connected to the internet (my desktop I mean) but the connection is that of my OLD hub not the new one and I can't figure out how to fix it.

The printer is a separate issue but I thought the two MIGHT be connected, otherwise, the printer is marked for a short trip out of the nearest window soon lol!

Draddict
Hooked

With regards to your edit there, yes that's what I mean, it shouldn't be connected to the old router, the old router isn't even plugged into the power supply never mind anything else ha ha!

I'm currently completely flummoxed!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Draddict 

I've read your post several times and still can't make head nor tail of it. Ignore the powerline units, they are not part of your problem.

Maybe if you post some screen shots it would help.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Me neither, @Baldrick1 - it just does not compute. The OPs replies to me muddy the water even further.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I looked into my network settings to see if the issue was there and I could see that while my desktop was connected to the internet just fine, the connection name was my OLD router connection, and the new one wasn't there at all. I mean I changed the name of the router etc but it just wasn't there, the old one was instead.

@Draddict  i wouldnt worry about that, since the new router has the same IP address and subnet as the old one, Windows probably thinks its the same connection (which it is to some extent).

As for getting the printer connected by wifi, I'd start by splitting the 2.4ghz & 5ghz wifi bands and adding '_5g' to the 5ghz SSID.

Then you can specify which band the printer should connect to

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Draddict
Hooked

We've now moved back to the issue of the printer, I think you're right, it's not the TP-Link at all, it's the printer, we're currently on to HP trying to sort it out, then we will buy an Epsom Smiley

Thanks guys!