cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
Dphx42

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

I'm having 5ghz WiFi problems. Can the firmware update be pushed to my router please?

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 18/02/19
oily
Hooked

Had the update since the 4/5/21 and I've had no issues so far(touch wood!)Cheers @bobpullen 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@philglenny @ewar166 @usmn & @Dphx42 - I've pushed an update to your respective hubs. You'll need to power them off/back on at your side to apply it. Hope it helps.

@Alex no known issues with wireless printing on the latest build so let me know how you get on. As a minimum, I'd suggest taking the printer back to default settings and try reconnecting it to the network.

@MagNeto - your Internet connection looks pretty stable (been up almost two weeks). I can see Wi-Fi events in the logs as below, but nothing overly inordinate:-

18th - 19 events
19th - 20 events
20th - 13 events

Quite a few of them seem to be devices moving between 2.4GHz and 5GHz (which can happen as you move around the house), whilst others seem to be *very* brief re-associations, showing devices disconnecting then reconnecting in the same minute. Hard to say whether this is a problem, or devices going to sleep/going out of range etc e.g. there's an Android tablet connected to the 2.4GHz radio at the moment that has a very poor wireless signal. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pipofstars

@bobpullen no further issues in the month since the firmware upgrade, everything seems stable, thanks so much Bob!

usmn

Thanks @bobpullen. Update installed.

MagNeto
Dabbler

@bobpullen 

Hi Bob,

What I'd like to know is if these events are a cause or a consequence of my devices losing internet access.

I can well believe I lose WiFi for a few seconds whilst moving around, but I am experiencing, is losing internet access for several minute whilst not moving. If I try and switch band, the problem persists usually. Recently, I had to switch off the WiFi on my device and reconnect to the router for it to work again, and on some occasions, I had to restart my device. Most of the time, I am panicking and doing part or all of the above. Would that point toward some cache error? Can short re-associations result in long period of no internet access? If not usually, maybe with this router?

This happens on 4 devices, as far as I have noticed (2 phones, 1 tablet, 1 laptop). These devices works perfectly fine outside my home, and on other WiFi network, so I'm thinking it's the router doing something.

I am going to once again tie the devices to only one band or the other, to simplify the equation. Can I do something else to help debug this? 

FYI, I am not at home right now, so I don't know where that tablet is; but I'm pretty sure no one is using it.

MaiB
Dabbler

I'm having 5ghz WiFi problems. Can the firmware update be pushed to my router please?  Many thanks

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 23/05/19
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Thanks @bobpullen

My sister seems to believe it was caused by it, however I found a USB cable round mine and last night I plugged it in and managed to get it working for now. So less of a problem as she can print.

Mind you for an HP printer the build quality is awful (that spells out China to me), the printer is right next to her laptop, so no real reason it needs to be on wireless.

But at least I got it working last night so a bit of a panic over. If I need to go over and check anything I will.
andrec

Hi @bobpullen 

Could I please get the firmware update as I'm experiencing the same 5Ghz dropout problems (current version 263)

Thanks

rosslilley

Hi @bobpullen 

Could I please get the firmware update as I'm experiencing the same 5Ghz dropout problems (current version 263)

Have switched 5Ghz off and making do with erratic 2.4Ghz signal.  Can't understand why you're taking so long to fix this issue?

Thanks

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@MaiB @andrec & @rosslilley - I have pushed an update to your devices. You will need to power your routers off/back on to apply it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

rosslilley

Thanks Bob.  Seems to be doing the trick.  👍

andrec

Thanks Bob much appreciated

MaiB
Dabbler

Very many thanks, Bob.   I am looking forward to enjoying internet usage again instead of it becoming an endurance event!

ConcreteHippo
Fixes: 1

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? Intermittent connection problems, with occasional authorisation requests
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? Recent replacement hub in use that shows the blue light
  3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? Networks are merged
  4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? Affects some devices at the same time
  5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] Can't reproduce the issue
  6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? Improves after reboot, takes a few days for problem to recur
  7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. Huawei P20, iPhone X, iPhone 11, Sony Bravia TV, Dell laptop (Windows 10)
  8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? No recent changes
  9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. No additional switches or wi-fi extenders. Devices on network: Xbox One, iPad, Bosch Smart Thermostat, Sony Bravia TV, Google Chromecast, Kindle paperwhite, Huawei P20, iPhone X, iPhone 11, HP Laptop, Dell Laptop

I have disabled the 5GHz network at the moment to improve reliability, but this has caused a drop in network speed for some devices

Hub firmware is 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Can the downgrade for the firmware be applied to my hub?

Is there any timeline when a proper fix for this problem will be available?

Thanks,

Steve