Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
digitalsquid

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

@bobpullen 

I'm having this same issue; no connectivity just on the 5Ghz WiFi channel (wired connections and 2.4Ghz are fine) and my router is running v4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Apparently there is a firmware upgrade that can resolve this problem and you can apply it. Can I have it please?

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    Only been a PlusNet customer for 6 days, it started happening this evening. No symptoms, devices that were previously using the 5Ghz channel can no longer connect to the internet.

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    Devices look to be connected. They show the network name in their settings and I can see them on the Hub admin homepage
  3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    Default settings, they both have the same name

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    Persitent for 5Ghz connections. Devices connected through ethernet or 2.4Ghz are fine.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    Nothing has changed to trigger it. Everything is setup the same as it was for my previous broadband provider where the 5Ghz connection worked fine, the only difference is I'm now using a PlusNet router.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    Rebooting hasn't resolved the issue. Only disabling 5Ghz and forcing devices to connect on 2.4Ghz "fixes" the problem.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    Any device I've tried to connect on 5Ghz has the issue

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    Not that I know of and it would be unlikely for all different devices to be patched within 6 days

DeeS
Dabbler

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? My connection drops every few to several minutes, sometimes just showing "no internet" message. I cannot access the router configuration website to check my firmware or to try suggested fixes.
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? It's only my laptop that's affected, other devices are working fine. The hub status indicator is normal when the issues occur. 

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? I have 2 differently named networks but they both seem to work on 2.4GHz from what I can see (the problem seems to be affecting both)

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? Only the laptop is affected. SOmetimes running Windows Diagnostics fixes it (for a bit), sometimes I need to switch a network.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] I don't think I could identify a trigger, it's happening way too often (numerous times a day)

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? Usually I don't need to reboot the hub to regain access to the internet 9see above)

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. Huawei Matebook Pro X 2020, Windows 10

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? Not aware of any
tiggy2020

@bobpullen hi I’m having the same issues with 5ghz wifi version 263 here can you push latest to me please thank you
gwjones88

Hi Bob, please could you push the new version to my router? On v 263 right now and problems are getting more frequent. Thanks.
KruDev

hi @bobpullen  could you please push the new firmware to my router. The Wifi has slowly got worse and worse over the past few months to the point where our phones won't function on wifi now, and the wired connections ( to my TV & laptop) is intermittent.

Thanks   

philrush82

@bobpullen 

Could I get the firmware to my router too please.

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated Unknown

dln6376

Hi!
Could you possibly push the latest firmware to my hub? The WiFi connection keeps dropping on both mine and my wife’s iPhones.

Thanks.
HarryMDale

Hi @bobpullen 

I am getting these issues too, with the following router:

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated Unknown

Have already extended the DHCP lease but still experiencing it. Can't recreate reliably but seems more prevalent in the evenings, especially if my partner & I are gaming together. Restarting the router always solves the problem.

Thanks!

benjbrooks

@bobpullen one more for the update please!

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? Since joining Plusnet all 5GHz devices would periodically show "cannot connect" or "connected with no internet" until the router is reset (note in the later case local connections including the Hub Manager are not possible either). Setting my Surface tablet to 2.4GHz only in the adapter settings fixes the issue for the tablet so i've disabled the 5GHz band completely. This has solved the problem but we are now running on the slower 2.4GHz band which isn't ideal.

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? See above / blue at all times 

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    Default Merged
  4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    Wired devices are fine. Once reset router is fine for anywhere between a couple of minutes to a couple of days then it will drop out again
  5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    No. Appears to be random
  6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    Yes, varies from minutes to hours, longest was 2 days
  7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    MICROSOFT Surface Pro (Win 10 Pro), NOKIA 7 Plus (Android 10), GOOGLE Pixel 5 (Android 11), APPLE IPhone XR (Latest iOS), APPLE Macbook Air (Mac os 10.15), MICROSOFT Xbox One (Latest firmware)

1. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    No, Issue has been present since first setup of the router
  2. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
    Router only, 1 Ethernet to Hive Hub, everything else connected wirelessly
gnetzer

Hi Bob, same issues on the 5ghz wifi band here, I'm afraid; I am on version 263 (4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 20/02/20 ).
Would very much appreciate if you could push the latest update to my router please, thanks a lot in advance!
brikki16

Hi Bob, I have just found this post and this is exactly what is happening to us.

Hope you can help and apply the update that has been mentioned in this thread, Thanks Vikki

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 27/03/19

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? There doesn't seem to be a particular reason or time it happens. We were rebooting on a Monday morning, now it's daily and sometimes 2 or 3 times per day.

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? Hub shows blue but devices show no internet icons.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? Named the same.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? Yes, the problem is persistent. We do not have anything wired to the router.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] No

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? Yes, rebooting fixes connection issues. Problem is occurring at least daily.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. Sometimes it is just laptops and sometimes it is android devices/playstation4/TVs

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? No that I am aware of.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.   We only have one router. There are 4 laptops, 4 android mobile phones, 3 android tablets, PS4, Nintendo Switch and 3 smart TVs.
elinevans

Hi Bob,

Can you please also update our router? Been having these exact issues for a couple of months.
Thanks
Elin
catphone
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

This is still a buffering issue and switching bands 2.4 to 5.0 or vice versa gets things moving.

Crazy really as I'm on Fibre.

At the time the latest occurred I got 7.14 down 6.04 up and 37 when I switched bands. 

There's not a greedy amount of equipment stealing bandwidth either. 

Jherhome1
Dabbler

Hi @bobpullen ,

Could I request the latest firmware version too please?

Thanks
meb
Dabbler

Hi @bobpullen 

I've been with plusnet many years and am really disappointed to see the issue on this thread has been going so long without being fixed.

If there is an update please can I have it and if its such a widespread issue why isn't the update just standard for everyone? 

I am using Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 07/03/19

I have 5G and 2.4G split. 5G loses connection frequently.

Thanks

Martin