cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
kingcostly

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Hi @bobpullen - I am a new customer to Plusnet but have had issues since joining. The first issue was that the speeds we were getting were awful (around 10mb - 20mbps when we should be getting around 65-70mbps) and the connction seemed unstable as buffering became a big issue.

After doing some research, other people said that splitting the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz wireless bands into separate connections. The 5GHz band now provides us with the speed we are supposed to be getting although the original 2.4 GHz connection is still poor and we avoid using it.

The only problem with the 5GHz band is that once you leave the house and disconnect from the network, you cannot reconnect properly unless you restart the router. You can connect to the 5GHz band but it will say 'No Internet Connection available' and it won't load anything. The only way to solve this is to restart the router which, after reading your opening post, could cause issues?

We could, of course, turn the 5GHz band off but the original 2,4GHz band provides a slow, unstable connection so this isn't something we want to do. We have a Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

I have answered your questions below - any help would be appreciated!

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

As mentioned above, when you disconnect from the 5GHz band, you cannot reconnect and get an internet connection without rebooting the router. You can still connect to the original 2.4GHz band but this connection is poor.

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?

The light on the Hub remains blue and as I have said, the 2.4GHz band still works - it's just the 5GHz band that won't give you a connection until you restart. I have tried multiple devices and all have the same issue with reconnecting to the 5GHz band. You can technically connect but the 5GHz band gives you no internet connection.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

The channels are split and the problem only affects the 5GHz although as mentioned previously, the 2.4GHz channel provides an unstable and slow connection.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

All devices connect to the hub wirelessly and yes, this problem affects all of them.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

Yes. If you leave the house and disconnect from the 5GHz channel and return later, you will not be able to get an internet connection when reconnecting unless you restart the router.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?

Yes, rebooting seems to solve the issue every time. The problem occurs when you disconnect from the 5GHz channel and try to reconnect.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

Huawei P20 Pro
    iPhone XR
    Samsung Galaxy A3
    Nintendo Switch

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?

No. We have only had Plusnet internet for two months.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

All devices in the house are connected via wireless connection to the Plusnet router. An ACER laptop also connects but this doesn't have the issue as it only picks up the 2.4GHz band and not the 5GHz one.
kingcostly

Hi @bobpullen - I am a new customer to Plusnet but have had issues since joining. The first issue was that the speeds we were getting were awful (around 10mb - 20mbps when we should be getting around 65-70mbps) and the connction seemed unstable as buffering became a big issue.

After doing some research, other people said that splitting the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz wireless bands into separate connections. The 5GHz band now provides us with the speed we are supposed to be getting although the original 2.4 GHz connection is still poor and we avoid using it.

The only problem with the 5GHz band is that once you leave the house and disconnect from the network, you cannot reconnect properly unless you restart the router. You can connect to the 5GHz band but it will say 'No Internet Connection available' and it won't load anything. The only way to solve this is to restart the router which, after reading your opening post, could cause issues?

We could, of course, turn the 5GHz band off but the original 2,4GHz band provides a slow, unstable connection so this isn't something we want to do. We have a Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

I have answered your questions below - any help would be appreciated!

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

As mentioned above, when you disconnect from the 5GHz band, you cannot reconnect and get an internet connection without rebooting the router. You can still connect to the original 2.4GHz band but this connection is poor.

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?

The light on the Hub remains blue and as I have said, the 2.4GHz band still works - it's just the 5GHz band that won't give you a connection until you restart. I have tried multiple devices and all have the same issue with reconnecting to the 5GHz band. You can technically connect but the 5GHz band gives you no internet connection.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

The channels are split and the problem only affects the 5GHz although as mentioned previously, the 2.4GHz channel provides an unstable and slow connection.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

All devices connect to the hub wirelessly and yes, this problem affects all of them.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

Yes. If you leave the house and disconnect from the 5GHz channel and return later, you will not be able to get an internet connection when reconnecting unless you restart the router.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?

Yes, rebooting seems to solve the issue every time. The problem occurs when you disconnect from the 5GHz channel and try to reconnect.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

Huawei P20 Pro
    iPhone XR
    Samsung Galaxy A3
    Nintendo Switch

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?

No. We have only had Plusnet internet for two months.
  9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

All devices in the house are connected via wireless connection to the Plusnet router. An ACER laptop also connects but this doesn't have the issue as it only picks up the 2.4GHz band and not the 5GHz one.
catphone
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Is there still an issue (even if have split the bands into two SSID)

I get stalling on WIFI and if I switch bands it can kick the device into getting back on track.

The WIFI washing machine sometimes works straight away and other times have to give the WIFI a prod n poke.

Doesn't happen on Ethernet (stalling) though only most devices on WIFI

JUST HAD IT NOW Radio on WIFI stopped, switched bands and it started again!!!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@jeff15 @glb123 @Snarf @DangerDonna @ScubaSquirrel @pipofstars @jackkiely @mike360 @kakho & @j-d-b - I have just pushed an update to your respective devices. You'll need to restart the router at your side to apply it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@kcrussell @rowleyway @McKelvie @JolOfNar @princehouse @mattywilson97 @mdimond & @kingcostly - same applies. Please switch your routers off/back on to apply the update.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@bobpullen Just reply to u PM just now

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@gabsyspur & @FatFizz - your routers do not seem to be online at the moment. If they are, then please drop me a private message containing your account username and router serial number and I'll take another look.

@catphone - you are on a build that should not be affected, however there is a more recent version available, so I have pushed that to your device on the off chance it improves your situation. You'll need to restart your router to apply the update.

@Jiffyuk wrote:
When is the roll out of the software to the router happening?
There was an announcement over the weekend that your parent company BT was having the same/similar issues 2.4/5ghz with its smart hub 2. Yet they are rolling out a solution by the end of May.

I know it's less than ideal, however the the situation is as per my most recent update here. Hoping to recommence next month.

The issue affecting the BT hub is a completely different set of circumstances.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@whitealanjohn wrote:

Since the firmware update, all the LED's on my router intermittently go red and we lose all internet connectivity which is resolved by rebooting the router. 

The router logs seem to indicate that each router hang is preceeded by the router attempting and failing to connect to https://pbthdm.bt.mo (below). 

Is this behaviour being reported by any others on the new firmware?

11:11:28, 16 May. (750848.610000) PTM over DSL is up
11:11:24, 16 May. (750845.400000) CWMP: session closed due to error: Could not resolve host
11:11:24, 16 May. (750845.380000) CWMP: Server URL: https://pbthdm.bt.mo; Connecting as user: ACS username
11:11:24, 16 May. (750845.370000) CWMP: Session start now. Event code(s): '4 VALUE CHANGE'
11:10:54, 16 May. (750815.090000) CWMP: session closed due to error: Could not resolve host
11:10:54, 16 May. (750815.050000) CWMP: Server URL: https://pbthdm.bt.mo; Connecting as user: ACS username
11:10:54, 16 May. (750815.040000) CWMP: Session start now. Event code(s): '4 VALUE CHANGE'
11:10:54, 16 May. (750814.760000) CWMP: Initializing transaction for event code 4 VALUE CHANGE
11:10:51, 16 May. (750811.970000) PTM over DSL is down after 8577 minutes uptime
11:10:51, 16 May. (750811.960000) PPPoE is down after 8576 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]
11:10:47, 16 May. (750808.450000) PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

There have been a couple of reports of unexpected crashes, particularly in the presence of either VoIP ATA's or secondary access points/extenders on customers' networks. The former is unrelated to the later firmwares and affects all builds. The latter is the main reason the firmware deployment was set back a couple of months.

Regardless, I've checked the logs on your device and you are affected by neither of these things.

What you are seeing is a question of cause and effect. The CWMP messages do not precede your problem, they follow it. The excerpt I have quoted above shows your line dropping the data link with the local cabinet. Read from bottom to top, your line drops, there are then several failed attempts to contact the hardware management platform (because you are no longer online) and then the connection is re-established.

What you need to establish is why your line is physically dropping the connection. Looking back over your account, I can see this was happening prior to the firmware update. There are periods where things are looking pretty stable, but then there are days where the line drops multiple times in a 24 hour period.

As the problem looks to be completely unrelated to either Wi-Fi or the firmware update, then I would suggest you report a fault to the helpdesk here, or alternatively start a separate thread. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

catphone
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Will try thanks 

just happened again (pre router restart) on catch-up tv. (Stalled / Buffering message) 

Switched bands and it got going again. 

princehouse

Cheers Bob I will give it a go and report back

pipofstars

Thanks @bobpullen I have restarted and will monitor and report back

cheers

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Many Thanks @bobpullen my hub one are now got the latest firmware

3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289 Last updated 20/05/21

ScubaSquirrel

Many thanks @bobpullen I will update ASAP.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Hi @bobpullen the hub one just rebooted itself revert to .263 from .289? Hope it doesn't trigger DLM to banded the line?

Recorded events
Time and dateMessage
23:02:20, 20 May.( 32.510000) System up, firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

23:02:04, 20 May.( 17.030000) System start

20:46:00, 20 May.( 34.520000) System up, firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.289

20:45:47, 20 May.( 21.120000) System start

18:36:21, 20 May.( 29.560000) System up, firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2

18:36:06, 20 May.( 15.050000) System start

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@goldenfibre - apologies. That's the result of it being 'orphaned' from the hardware management platform for so long. When you first plugged it in, it detected an older firmware version and queued an upgrade to .263. Unfortunately this seems to have happened irrespective of the fact I updated you to .289 in the interim.

Another restart will put you back on .289 and it shouldn't happen again. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team