Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

@maedegroot @charleski @CM36 @telebass & @fordycer - I have pushed an update to all of your devices. You'll need to switch your hubs off/back on to apply it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

telebass

Many thanks, @bobpullen !

charleski

Thanks. Updated to 4.7.5.1.83.8.289

Jason5

Thanks @bobpullen WiFi has been stable all weekend.

timbutler

@bobpullen, Can you push the update to my Hub One?

I've had the 5GHz disabled for the past week - it will be good to be able to turn it back on

Thanks.

maedegroot

@Bob much appreciated, firmware duly updated and will keep monitoring over the next few weeks. Best, M ツ 

PD96

@bobpullen, Please can you push the update to my Hub One?

Thanks.

jdwaudby

Hi Bob,

Please could the update be pushed to my router? I've discovered this thread after putting up with this 5GHz issue for a few months now. My router is running the .263 firmware.

lifehealthcare

Hey Bob,

Was just browsing the forums since I had issues regarding this too. Luckily I see there is a solution to it, could you maybe push the update (273 beta) to my device too? I'm running on the .263 right now.

What do you need from my end to make this work?

stumain

We are yet to find a way to reliably replicate the problem ourselves under lab conditions, so it would be helpful if you can reply to this post answering the questions below (and providing any other detail you might think is useful!)

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? - Multiple times per day, your post was a perfect summary of the issues.  We see all the symptoms.

1. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?  Hub status is normal and a device that is ethernet connected continues working. 

2. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?  Merged. (Although having read the post I have now split them and disabled 5G.  Will happily post an update in a day or two)

3. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?  Wired device is fine.  Wifi devices do come back, sometimes after just a few seconds, sometimes not and I need to reboot.

4. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]  I haven't managed to spot any trigger in the couple of months we've had it.

5. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?  Yes, always resolves it, sometimes then runs for a couple of hours, sometimes only for minutes.

6. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.  Mostly seen on HP Probook running Windows 10 as this is my work laptop so the one most connected.

7. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?  No.

8. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.  Powerline adapter in use since the issue appeared so that I can ethernet to my loft space where I work.  Otherwise standard wifi network.

On a closing note, I recognise this problem is causing quite a lot of frustration for some of you but want to reassure folk that we're committed to getting to the bottom of it, and appreciate everybody's patience in the meantime 
THANKS

lifehealthcare

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? - Multiple times per day, your post was a perfect summary of the issues.  We see all the symptoms.

It's not for me personally. I'm working for an IT company and we send out new Dell laptops to the employees. This one employee has had problems connecting his laptop to his router which is a Plusone hub on the .263 firmware. The problem is that some devices work fine and some have proper issues. Not getting more then 1Mb up/down when connected. It doesn't matter at what band (2,4 or 5Ghz) the problem persist. Putting in a LAN cable solves it but that defeats the purpose of using a laptop which needs to be used remotely and everywhere in the house. Rebooted the device many times, sometimes is looks like it's going alright but then all of the sudden drops back to poor connection again. So you could say its a constant problem.

We first thought it was the Dell laptop but that device is connecting fine with cellular data, LAN and other WiFi networks so it's must be a protocol issue of some sort.

1. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?  Hub status is normal and a device that is ethernet connected continues working. 

The connection is there it's only terrible slow. I can't even create a TeamViewer session on WiFi (either bands). LAN works fine the whole time, no problems with LAN. Not sure about the status indicator on the device.

1. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?  Merged. (Although having read the post I have now split them and disabled 5G.  Will happily post an update in a day or two)

Tried merging and seperating, problem occurs on both stages.

1. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?  Wired device is fine.  Wifi devices do come back, sometimes after just a few seconds, sometimes not and I need to reboot.

Nope, other devices are fine like the phone. Ran multiple speedtest (even from further away then the Dell laptop) and those devices seem to have no problem.

1. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]  I haven't managed to spot any trigger in the couple of months we've had it.

It's a constant problem so yes.

1. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?  Yes, always resolves it, sometimes then runs for a couple of hours, sometimes only for minutes.

I did not yes succesfully "solve" the problem for more than 10mins.

1. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.  Mostly seen on HP Probook running Windows 10 as this is my work laptop so the one most connected.

Dell Latitude 5410, Windows 10 Pro 20H2 latest update. (19042.928). 

1. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? 

No.

1. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.  Powerline adapter in use since the issue appeared so that I can ethernet to my loft space where I work.  Otherwise standard wifi network.

No other network devices then the Plushub one.

All devices on WiFi untill this Dell came in, now he needs to use it on LAN.

I would really love if somebody could push the beta to his device just to see if it solves anything. if it does you know you need to look for the changes made in the software update.

Thanks.

Angrypetee
Grafter

Morning all,
I'm running the. 263 can I get the update pushed to me please, not been able to use 5ghz since getting the hub last year.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@timbutler @PD96 @jdwaudby @stumain & @Angrypetee - an update has been pushed to each of your devices. You'll need to switch your hub off/back on at your side to apply it.

@lifehealthcare - I'm struggling to locate your account so can you please drop me a private message containing your account username and hub serial number? Thanks.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Jiffyuk
Dabbler

@bobpullen

When is the roll out of the software to the router happening?

This is dragging on and on. Your adverts proudly promote service is based here in the UK, yet they are having to refer people to a forum for them to ask for an update to fix a problem. This does seem a weird response to get a possible resolution to many.

Whilst I commend your efforts, and I bloody hope your bosses see the extra hard work you have done, for a problem to drag on for two years plus is not really sitting right with a lot of your paying customers.

There was an announcement over the weekend that your parent company BT was having the same/similar issues 2.4/5ghz with its smart hub 2. Yet they are rolling out a solution by the end of May.

Just hopeful of some news of this roll out.
jeff15

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? - 5GHz unusable. Connecting to Wifi doesn't work. It's been happening for 3 months now

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? Yes, connecting doesn't work. Hub Status blue.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? Split and only affects the 5GHz network. When merged, nothing is able to connect to 5GHz channel.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? Persist. Nothing connected wired so can't tell.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] Haven't been able to use 5GHz for months so unsure if there's a "trigger". Think it's broken.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? Rebooting doesn't solve it.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. Macbook Air, iPad, iPhone - same issues across the board

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? Not sure

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. - Nothing fancy. A vanilla setup and the above 3 devices are connected