Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
layla

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Thank you Bob. So far, so good!

JohnB47
Hooked

I'm having exactly the same issue as poster dkwarr87. My router is on software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 and I've been a Plusnet user for years now. 

I'm curious as to why this problem has occurred in only the last month or so - no issues previously. I've tried every PC setting known to man (and woman) to fix this and have now discovered this thread.

I would be grateful for a push of the software update Bob - otherwise I'll look to buying a BT HH6 (which seems to be the other solution).

How does the software download work Bob - can you identify my router solely by my log-in linked to my account? If not, please let me know what further info I need to provide. (serial number maybe?)

Thanks.

Tags (1)
Munkyfaz

HI Bob  - I previously contacted you for an update of my firmware when my Macbook Pro topped connecting to 5Ghz - says it doesn't have the password but even when it does it just won't connect for  a very long time. After your firmware update it seemed to be fixed but lately it has started again and i've had to switch it off again.

Firmware version currently showing is 4.7.5.1.83.8.273 - last updated 27/11/2020. Is there anything I can do to fix this more permanently ?

Spanners
Hooked

Hello,

I've been experiencing this issue since December 2019, but seems to only affect some devices. It usually affects my MacBook Pro first, which starts taking ages to connect, and often pops up a dialog box asking for a password (even though it knows it - entering the correct password doesn't help). One this starts I have to reboot the router to get things working again.    However I've recently changed phones and my new Pixel phone seems to be having some difficulties too, which is getting to be a bit frustrating as it's not as obvious when the phone is having issues, which means it gets to the point where I realise something is wrong, switch wifi off and then suddenly all my messages come through. 

I've only just found this thread, and it's a bit long to read through it all..!  But I see there is some new software available that should help - @bobpullen would it be possible for this to be pushed to my router?  I appreciate this must be a pain, but would be greatly appreciated! 

Cheers,

jarradyardley

@bobpullen

I am having the issues outlined in this thread. I have my WiFi split into 2.4 and 5ghz. My devices when connected to 5ghz after a period will say they are connected to the band but there will be no Internet access.

Devices connected to 2.4 all work fine and after a reboot 5ghz Internet works again. There doesn't seem to be any consistency with the "drops" as in sometimes it can happen after a day or two and other times can be over a week.

After being frustrated with a new router doing this, thought I'd give it a Google and came across this thread.
My SW is as below. Can you push the firmware update to me too please in the hopes of resolving the above.

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263
JohnB47
Hooked

@bobpullen 

I've just reposting my earlier message but have added a link to your name Bob. Thanks.

I'm having exactly the same issue as poster dkwarr87. My router is on software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 and I've been a Plusnet user for years now. 

I'm curious as to why this problem has occurred in only the last month or so - no issues previously. I've tried every PC setting known to man (and woman) to fix this and have now discovered this thread.

I would be grateful for a push of the software update Bob - otherwise I'll look to buying a BT HH6 (which seems to be the other solution).

How does the software download work Bob - can you identify my router solely by my log-in linked to my account? If not, please let me know what further info I need to provide. (serial number maybe?)

Thanks.

Bob76

I am having the issues outlined in this thread. I have my WiFi split into 2.4 and 5ghz and have changed the channel following some helpful tips from the plus net chat. My devices when connected to 5ghz, were regularly dropping connection and even the stability when connected to ethernet was bad. Hoping the channel change will sustain things until the new firmware rolls out but would welcome seeing that soon. 
Glad to have found this thread and would welcome you pushing the firmware update to me too please in the hopes of resolving the above and removing the constant anxiety of internet drop out during a 'really crucial' part of an online meeting - thanks 

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Grahamsant

Hi, I've only just found this post today but we've been having issues with this issue for probably 2 years. We have good mobile data allowances so haven't been too worried about it but it's been plaguing us for a long time. Looked into it today as a new device would not connect at all. Answers to questions below...

1. Mobile devices that are already connected show as connected but drop off frequently with the message no internet access. My partner got a new phone today and simply could not connect at all. I was able to get the devices connected fairly steadily (but slow connections) by entirely disabling 5GHz. 

2. Devices connected, IP addresses showing in 192.168.1.254, hub status blue and all wired devices working without issue.

3. Was entirely default before today. Today I have disabled 5GHz

4. Issue is persistent but wired devices are not affected

5. Not able to say - drop offs have been entirely random previously. Not being able to connect at all today was accross multiple devices not just the new one until 5GHz switched off

6. Sometimes it has been resolved by rebooting but the issue can resurface sometimes almost immediately, other times hours later

7. Devices affected are all Android. Samsung Galaxy S8 and S9 new phone today is a Google Pixel 4a

8. No issues from an patches

9. Laptops, PC and primary console wired in. Additional network switch added within the last 12 months due to WiFi issues that were being experienced on my work laptop. WiFi issues were occuring prior to this. Other consoles are on WiFi but get used very rarely so I couldn't say if they are having issues now. 

JohnB47
Hooked

@Grahamsant

You said "Today I have disabled 5GHz"

How do you do that? On my Win 10 laptop, I can set a 'preferred' band in the Network Adapter settings (which doesn't reliably work) but I've not heard of being able to actually disable a band.

Grahamsant

JohnB47

It's done by disabling it directly on the router. Before I write the instructions, please note that 2.4GHz doesn't offer the same speeds as 5GHz so doing this will reduce the speed of your connection. Also, I am not affiliated with Plusnet in any way. I'm just a tech nerd who found this out so please do this at your own risk...

Go to a browser and go to the Plusnet Hub Manager by typing in 192.168.1.254

Click on the Advanced Settings link - you should be prompted to log in. The username is preset as admin and the admin password will be on your hub card where you find the wireless password (if you haven't changed it)

Once logged in click Continue to advanced settings

Click the Wireless link, then click the 5GHz Wireless link

Firstly switch Sync with 2.4 GHz to No then Wireless network enable to No. It will give you a warning about it switching off 5GHz - click Apply and it should give you a page that says that 5GHz is not enabled. 

You may need to forget the wireless network on your device and re-connect to it. Once reconnected you should see your device in the 2.4GHz Network section on the Home page under My Home Network and Devices currently connected to your Plusnet Hub

Hope this helps - apologies if I've written things too simplistic, just wanted to make sure it was easy to follow. 

JohnB47
Hooked

@Grahamsant 

I'm much obliged. Not too simplistic - very clear instructions.

I will bear the warnings in mind if I decide to try this.

Thank you.

AndyDe

Hi @bobpullen 

We've been having the exact issue described here for a couple of months now.  Most recently today my wife couldn't connect her work laptop despite me hapily working away on mine.  I ended up restarting the hub, saw her machine connect to the 5GHz band and she's off and working again.

Firmware version we have is 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Would you be able to push us the latest firmware please?

Thanks,

Andy Denning.

Fletch1

Hi @bobpullen 

Also having the same problems with 5ghz dropping out out ever since I received the hub as a replacement for an old hub that was giving other problems, it is affecting several laptops but not all. When is the new Firmware going to be released to everyone and in the interim how do I go about getting it deployed to my hub.
Thanks

Gerry3

Hi Bob @bobpullen 

I think you said on this thread a while ago that there will be a universal rollout of the latest hub one firmware “in a few weeks”.

I'm still on version 263 and have had occasional problems with devices dropping out and “no internet access” messages so I’d like to try upgrading the firmware.

if the rollout is still some way away, could you kindly let me have the latest one anyway

thanks

Tags (1)
Simon974
Hooked

I've just found this thread recently too and have been having similar problems for months - although mine don't seem to have anything to do with the wifi - it seems to be a router or perhaps even broadband issue (at least for me).

I have all wifi on the plusnet router disabled and have a 3-node Tenda MW6 Mesh network running in bridge mode - so the plusnet router handles all the DHCP addresses and essentially controls the network. All the mesh does is distribute it's own wifi throughout the house (interconnected by ethernet.)

But periodically all devices are kicked off, and I get error messages such as the router requires login/authorisation or just "no internet access".

Most devices reconnect after a while, but some just do not - and cannot connect even after resetting them. I was sick of trying to reprogram my smart LED lights until I realised a router restart fixes the problem - until the next time.

I have changed the lease time (as suggested in one post) to 21 days to see if this makes any difference.

router version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 - hopefully a new firmware will fix this for everyone.