Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
charliecambs
Dabbler

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Thanks very much @bobpullen  seems fixed.

I happened to restart the router after another 5GHz wireless disconnection. I didn't really think but 2 days later I haven't seen any drop outs ( I think i may have had a short term "no internet connection" on one of the wireless connected laptops) .

I checked router and its on 289 firmware so looks like that works (fingers crossed)

I'd assumed power cycle to update but obviously restart does it.

so looks like its OK I'll report back if issues appear.

Thanks again 

christough97

Hi @bobpullen ,

I'm also being affected by 5GHz WiFi issue.

My hub is currently "Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated Unknown"
Unsure why my last updated is unknown.

Any chance my firmware can be updated too please,

Kind regards,

Chris

Vik76ok
Hooked

I'm also on the .263 firmwear and having exactly the same issue with 5ghz. Please push the latest firmware to me also. I see this large was first created in 2019. Why are we all still having to suffer this issue? Thanks.
ConorP

HI @bobpullen,

I think I have a similar issue to the one described on this thread. 

I have a new spectre HP laptop, and intel AX201 network adapter. I can get connection speeds of 40 mbps, but this then drops down to 2/3 mbps after a while. I can fix this by resetting my router, but this only lasts for a day, and then I'm back down to 2/3 mbps.

My plusnet driver is 4.7.5.1.83.8.263. Please can I get the new update pushed out to me to see if this resolves the issue? 

Thanks, 

Conor 

brockleyse4
Hooked

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    Can connect to Wifi in the same room as the router, but once in the next room WiFi is very limited.

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    Outside of the router room, devices are occasionally connected, but more a lot of the time there not. 
    Hub status indicator is blue.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? 
    Channels are merged.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    Once you get beyond the next room from the router it's persistent. In the next room from the router I'd say 75/80% of the time it won't connect. Wired devices have no problem.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    Not 100%, no.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    This seems to fix it for a few minutes.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    All devices using WiFi are impacted.

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    No.
  9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
    Laptop wired directly into router. Powerline adapter which a PVR is wired into, which has no problems.
    Powerline WiFi extender in the next room from the router, which is auto-synced into the same SSID as the router.
    Doesn't seem to help the WiFi in that room. Currently trying to get advice on this.

I'm currently on version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 of the firmware & would be grateful @bobpullen if you could push an update out to my router.

Dricketts31

@bobpullen

Do we ever get replies to this? Been waiting nearly 2 weeks with on going issues. Customer service have no idea whenever you speak to them on the phone. As a new customer it’s getting frustrating.
Vik76ok
Hooked

So I was told by customer service yesterday to go buy a new router, that had 2.4 ghz connection only as that would fix it. I explained I need 5 as its faster. He said that wasnt true! I said it was and I have paid more money for this. He was having none of it. Awful!!
CVHawkeye
Hooked

@Vik76ok I am just another customer, I might have answered with my feet if I had CS talk to me in that way and expect me to buy a router which should work out of the box 2.4 or 5GHz with in reason. But I don’t know your whole story. Btw I typically get only 35-40 mbits with 2.4ghz while my wired connection max out at around 67mbits ... you probably need 5 ghz WiFi to realise your full internet speed if >40mbits unless you have a very old device that only supports 2.4 Ghz.

CVHawkeye
Hooked

@Dricketts31 welcome to plus net ... lol.

Vik76ok
Hooked

Yep, my speed are the same- 2.4 gives 35-40, 5ghz 65+
I have a new router. They sent me a new one initially. I've switched it off and on again to get the 5 back, but it wont last long before it goes again.
Seriously plusnet, just push the latest updates to all of us! If not, we should be given compensation for you not providing to us what we have paid for.
Tags (1)
brendonhatcher

Hi

I am also having these issues, and have tried everything except the firmware update.

I am on 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Please can you update my router.

Thanks

Brendon

NewOrion

Helo @bobpullen ,

I saw your message:
**We have a reactive workaround that can be applied on a case by case basis. You can request this is applied by posting a reply to this thread containing answers the the questions at the foot of this post.**

I also saw people responding asking for a firmware update to be pushed to them. I was hoping that could be done onto my router as well as my firmware version is: 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 (Plusnet Hub One | Last updated 28/02/19)

1. I've been experiencing this issue described for a few years now. I used to have to reboot the router once every month, then it became every few weeks, recently it has been a few times a day. Today I could not log onto wifi at all no matter what I did. I then noticed that a couple of devices did work. I checked the "Home Network" page in the router and realised that only 2.4G devices worked. I disabled 5G and now everything works again. That's when I googled this issue.
  2. Most of the time rebooting the router fixes this issue, not any longer.
  3. The 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels are merged.
  4. Only discovered today that 2.4G devices work, but I have always known wired devices work when theis happens.
  5. No
  6. See no.1
  7. Every 5G device no matter make or model.
  8. This has been an ongoing issue for years, so no.
  9. Plusnet Hub one with multiple Wifi Devices connected. I have two ethernet switches running off them to try and reduce wifi load.

Please can you push this update as soon as possible.

Thanks 🙂

IggytheSwott

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    On a regular basis any device connected to the 5ghz network cannot connect to the internet and a warning message about the password is displayed. Turning the hub off and on again fixes the problem for a short while. Currently the 5ghz network is turned off. The hub firmware is Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 22/03/19. it appears from the previous posts the problem can  be fixed by upgrading the hub software version, can this fix be applied to my hub.
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    They are connected and hub indicators are normal.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    Channels are merged and only the 5ghz network is affected

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    Yes around 8 devices hardwired, no they are not affected.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    No, 5ghz network usually down first thing in the morning

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    Yes, the time before the problem reoccurs is between an 1 hour to 24 hours
  7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    Any device using the 5ghz network are affected e.g. IPAD, Sony TV, Windows Laptop. All these devices work perfectly when the 5ghz network is turned off
  8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    No
  9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
    8 Port Netgear switch
    3 x smart TVs

Sky box
    Synology NAS

5 x Windows 10 PCs
Spanners
Hooked

I am getting this problem more frequently now - I'm not sure why, but seems to be since I got a new phone?! I also currently have more devices using the wifi since I am working from home due to covid. 

Before I'd only have to reboot my router maybe once a month, but now It's about once a week - it's always the same symptoms as per my previous post.   The first device to start having issues is my MacBook Pro which starts struggling to connect to the wifi and often starts requesting the password, even though it knows it. It will often still connect, but takes a while and requires several attempts. Then my Pixel 4a phone will start showing less obvious signs, where it thinks it's on the wifi but isn't receiving any data. If I disable the wifi on the phone suddenly my messages start coming through.  Eventually the Macbook will stop being able to connect at all, and I have no choice but to reboot the router to fix it. 

Interestingly my work laptop (Dell Precision 7720) doesn't seem to be affected - or at least not in a way I am noticing.

I am still on 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 currently.  I really hope the update comes through soon, as this is becoming a real pain now.  If there is a chance to have the new software in advance it would be really appreciated, as I read at the start of the thread that frequent router reboots are not ideal. 

CVHawkeye
Hooked

@Spanners @Most people don’t notice the problem because they were actually automatically connected to 2.4 ghz WiFi by default or they have a drop out on the 5 ghz WiFi as a device fall back. Only when users start to specifically connected to the 5 ghz WiFi that they would know how unreliable it can be. BTW the new firmware they pushed on my router should do the job ... hope it does for you.