Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
JezOwen
Hooked

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Well I've asked around and most people who have Sky that I know are very happy, including my next door neighbour. He did have one line speed issue but it was sorted and he has a reliable service now. At the moment I'm going towards them becuse even if not perfect, they sound like the best of a bad bunch.

As for the cancellation of the DD. Yep, I did. I was incredibly angry at the time but frankly why should I pay plusnet for something that doesn't work? If they fix it then I'll fix my faulty payments and stay until my contract ends. But they better be quick or I will be riding off I to the sunset.
Sk065

Nowt wrong with Sky. I cam to plusnet after being offered a better deal.

I'd happily go back and pay the extra couple of quid a month and have a stable connection tbh.

PS plusnet still havenet updated my firmware despite my request to do so.

I cannot wait to switch back to Sky.....
MixerFistit
Dabbler

I'll be leaving as soon as my 18 mths are done. My router is fixed but it took a month to resolve and only because I came here. Tech support were useless, my first encounter with them I encountered a rude knowitall (that knew nothing) who hung up on me when I asked if I could log a complaint despite forcing myself to remain calm and polite. 6 weeks of back and forth and even mention of an engineer visit despite me only complaining about my 5GHz fault which was the point I realised these guys have had no technical training. My complaint is still open and I occasionally get an apology email stating they're sorry its taking so long.

I could've had a slightly better deal with Talktalk but chose Plusnet due to their apparent better customer service. Based on my first 2.5 months I'm getting out as soon as possible. They've got a couple of weeks before I'll be filing a complaint with ofcom. Worst experience I've had with customer service with the exception of PayPal who edge them for rudeness but it would take a tremendous effort to beat them.
JezOwen
Hooked

Hey @MixerFistit
Whatever you do, please don't go to Talk Talk. I was with them and they are the WORST company ever. They took money without providing a service, were completely awful and just the most terrible company ever.
Part of the reason I stayed with PlusNet for so many years is because their customer service was so good.
WAS apparently is the key word.
Saddens me to say it but plusnet has sunk and the service is now terrible.
Having said that, given a choice between Talk Talk and PlusNet I would definitely still pick plusnet. But that says more about Talk Talk being so terrible than it does about PlusNet being any good.
I've found plusnet staff pleasant enough in manner but I feel let down by the incompetence and/or dishonesty, depending on which it was.
Just don't go to Talk Talk. I'd rather go without the net to be honest.
JerryH1
Dabbler

Please correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it if you are taking FTTC from Openreach you will get the same service whoever is billing you.  You then have to decide if it is worth paying for any "extras".  Is there anyone providing this cheaper than PN?  If so I will switch to them as I bailed out on the HubOne 18 months ago.

MixerFistit
Dabbler

@JezOwen I'll probably give another smaller supplier a chance. And I agree, the customer service has been awful (actually, it's the tech support side specifically), I don't believe there can be so much incompetence at a management level to not alert frontline staff to a known issue, therefore it must be deception and that's a big red flag for getting out ASAP. I was with sky previously and they were great to be honest (including managing a recurring fault in my line), but their routers have their own issues and hoops need jumping through to perform advanced functions on the network.

@JerryH1, yes the majority of suppliers rely on Open Reach and their infrastructure and any line faults/speed issues are unlikely to be resolved simply through switching.
I'm not sure who you should switch to but I recommend using a cashback app like Quidco and seeing what's available. Also compare to visiting Uswitch via Quidco so you can stack rewards (Uswitch give u cashback, supplier gives you a voucher too, whereas if you go direct to a supplier or via cashback app you can usually only claim one)
djmj57

I have recently identified this problem with the WiFi sporadically dropping out (had the problem for years!) I separated the 5GHz range out and it is clear it is this channel that is causing problems. Constant drop outs that can only be solved with a router restart. There are no issues with the 2.4Ghz range.

My firmware was last updated in 2019 according to my hub page and I've read some reports that suggest a firmware update may well fix it.

Is there a more recent firmware available and if so, how do I get it?

I can't fault the actual internet service from Plusnet (I've even just signed up to a new deal) but I'm loathed to buy a new router.
Gunner276

I really recommend picking up a BT HH6, I got one for £15.

Range seems a lot better, and no need to separate bands!

Annoying I know, but PN were £8 cheaper a month and I managed to get cashback through Quidco. So still better off I guess!
Dippy
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Time for me to unsubscribe to this thread because I've now had enough of checking e-mails only to see that they are about the BT Hub or which ISP is better than PlusNet which, whilst they may be valid topics for discussion, they really have no place in this thread which is specifically about the Hub One 5GHz wifi issue. I am now confident that the .273 FW has fixed the issue for me and there are zero downsides to it. I was indeed lucky that I never went to PlusNet support about it (although I have suffered that process on other matters) but instead found this thread and got the FW push shortly after joining it. It is such a shame that there does seem to be a fix but no clear way for customers to get it. PlusNet need to do better.

JezOwen
Hooked

Could you or someone else explain how to get the 273 firmware update please?
aleph-00

@bobpullen I posted a week ago in this thread with an answer to your questions and the request to push the .273 firmware to me. Do let me know how I can get the firmware updated. 

Thank you

tamsynandchris

Hi Bob,

Could we have the latest firmware put onto our router please?

Thanks

Tags (1)
bigshineybike
Dabbler

Hi Bob,

Just to let you know I got a second hand BT 6 hub. so I don't need my update. Let someone else have it. Thanks though.

Sk065

I'm still waiting for a firmware update. This has been an ongoing issue now for 16 months out of my 18 month contract for me.

Anyone thought about contacting BBC watchdog about this apparent 'coverup'of hardware problems and no acknowledgement from Plusnet other than Bob who doesnt seem to be monitoring this thread anymore?

neilbampton

@bobpullen 
I'm also having the same issues with the 5Ghz network and am on firmware ending .263.

Would if be possible for you to push out the firmware update to me please?