Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
JerryH1
Dabbler

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

JerryH1
Dabbler

HH6 prices have actually gone up over the last 12 months and many on EBay are advertised as a solution the Plusnet Hub One issues.

MixerFistit
Dabbler

I wonder how many of us here have set the router lights to dim?
I've tested it on a spare router that had the same fault and so far it hasn't occurred with the lights left on high.
Probably a coincidence but worth a mention
steveskinner198

Hi @bobpullen  ,

Can I add my name to the list with this problem. I can confirm my router has firmware number 4.7.5.1.83.8.263. I have had all the symptoms you've described in the OP.

I have split the 2.4 and 5 GHz channels and am only using 2.4 at the moment as a temporary fix.

Can I request the firmware update please.

Thanks

aleph-00

Hi bobpullen, 

Could you please push the firmware update to me? 

Answers to your questions: 

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

>> Frequent error messages about password being wrong on wifi; internet connection dropping although devices show wifi connection to router and router is connected; no such symptoms via wired connection; after renaming the 5GHz network with separate SSID it transpires that only the 5GHz network is affected; We generally operate with an all Mac environment (iPhone, iPad, MacBook) but in addition are running a belkin range 2-channel range extender. The problem has gotten worse with time and occurs now reliably when two separate devices try to connect to the 5GHz network. Just connecting one device is fine and connecting several devices to the extended network via the belkin extender is also fine as long as the belkin is the only device on the network. 
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?

>>The problem occurs when the hub status indicator is blue and devices appear to connect correctly (except when the password is rejected) but have no actual connection to the internet (or to other devices on the home network, even those that are wired into the hub)

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

>>Initially they were merged but I have since split them. See my answer to point 1 above. Only the 5GHz network is affected. 

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

>> I don't have enough observations to know if the hub recovers because I only recently split the channels. I was too impatient for the hub to recover from the problem created by connected with several devices to the 5GHz network. When wired into the hub (ethernet cable) there are no connectivity issues. 

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

>> Yes. Whenever more than one device connects to the 5GHz network, the problem is triggered. 
  6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?

>> Yes. Problems recur when more than one device simultaneously connect to the 5GHz network. 

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

>> N/a

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?

>> no.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

The hub connects directly to the landline. The following devices are connected to the router via LAN cable: a time capsule, a voice over IP phone, a LAN cable used by different laptops at different times. There is an epson printer connected to the wifi (but it is off most of the time). There is a belkin range 2channel wireless range extender connected via wifi; it provides network extension with additional network names from the hub (and more recently split SSIDs by channel). There is a range of iPhones (6s, Cool that frequently connect to the wifi. There is also an iPad. 

I hope this helps making the problem replicable. It would be great to be pushed the firmware update. 

Thanks in advance! 

Dippy
Grafter
Fixes: 1

It's now been 1 week since I updated our Plusnet Hub to .273 FW. For us the issue is totally fixed with no downsides observed.

DanielRW
Hooked

Hi @Dippy,
Im glad the problem is fixed. How did you get the firmware. .273 fw?
Dippy
Grafter
Fixes: 1

@bobpullen provided it. He can "push" the update to your Hub so will need your details. It is probably best to read the instructions at the start of the thread and answer the questionnaire. I was lucky - I didn't do that but I was given the update anyway.

tjmilburn
Hooked

Hi @bobpullen what details do you need from me to push out the update please? Thanks

bigshineybike
Dabbler

Morning Bobpullen

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    Dropping connections various messages network connection lost, no internet or not even seeing the 
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    the light remains blue always
  3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    we split the channels added '5' to the 5ghz. also tried to 'forget' the channel 5 on some devices
  4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    we have a smart tv set connected by ethernet and a floating 30 meter cable ready for important video calls. 
  5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    Havent found anything specific, been reading internet stuff for days it did seem linked to too many devices but two weeks ago there were more . ( our lodger bought his own separate network)
  6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    it does help to turn off the router. often wonder if some of the fixes we thought worked were due to turning it off and on again.
  7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    none appear worse we have a variety of Mac, android windows ten, 7 and amazon devices.
  8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    dont know for sure.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

Bt line in. just replaced the20 year old three terminal screw wired faceplate with BT Mk 3. plus net hub one router replaced by plus net april 2020. its got firm wear 4.7.5.1.83.263 installed. ethernet cable to smart TV. second ethernet for reliable vidoe calling. 5 PCs connected at various times, two alexas, one smart light switch and a wireless network printer. Theres a second TV connected by wireless. moderate sized 1930 5 bed house. wireless router is by the front door central to the house. 

I have a Hub 6 in the post already but it would be good to have the plusnet box working properly with the BT on standby.

Our lodger gave up on us and had his own virgin wireless installed. The two routers are stood next to each other on the same window sill.

Thanks Bob. 

phoning the help lines is simply too painful 

bigshineybike
Dabbler

Morning Bobpullen

Can you send me the updated firmware, thanks.

in answer to your questions

sorry I was editing it when it crashed again

Dropping connections, we get various message such as 'network connection lost', 'no internet' ' a network connection has changed' simply loss of internet. I have the plusnet manager on my phone and can often not see the router. 

The light remains blue always.

We split the channels added '5' to the 5ghz. We also tried to 'forget' the channel 5 on some devices. This initially seems to help a lot.

The problem has been consistent for some months. It has reached a head recently as family members are doing more and more at home. We have a smart tv set connected by ethernet and a floating 30 meter cable ready for important video calls. 

Haven't found anything specific, been reading internet stuff for days it did seem linked to too many devices but two weeks ago there were more . ( our lodger bought his own separate network)

It does help to turn off the router. I have begun to wonder if some of the fixes we thought worked, were due to turning it off and on again.

None appear worse we have a variety of Mac, android windows ten, 7 and amazon devices.

Don't know for sure.

Bt line in. just replaced the20 year old three terminal screw wired faceplate with BT Mk 3. plus net hub one router replaced by plusnet april 2020. It's got firmware 4.7.5.1.83.263 installed. ethernet cable to smart TV. second ethernet for reliable video calling. 5 PCs connected at various times, two alexas, one smart light switch and a wireless network printer. There's a second TV connected by wireless. moderate sized 1930 5 bed house. wireless router is by the front door central to the house. 

I have a Hub 6 in the post already but it would be good to have the plusnet box working properly with the BT on standby.

Our lodger gave up on us and had his own virgin wireless installed. The two routers are stood next to each other on the same window sill.

Thanks Bob. 

I tried phoning the Plusnet help lines is simply too painful 

b789pilot
Hooked

@bobpullen can I please have the .273 update in order to fix the problem with the 5Ghz WiFI as described below:

1. Brief description of the problem, and how it masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    Some phones and iPads cannot connect to the HubOne on the 5Ghz WiFi. Even if a static IP has been applied, the devices will reappear in the DHCP table with a different IP address with multiple devices with the same name but different IP addresses. A password for the WiFi will be requested but not recognised even though it is correct.
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    This only happens when trying to connect with the Hub. The hub WiFi has its own SSID and the problem does not occur when connecting to a separate mesh access point network with its own separate SSID which is connected to the Hub.
    The channels are merged.
  4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent? Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    The problem is persistent. There is a mesh network acting as an access point with its own SSID. It is connected to the hub by a 1300Mbps powerline plug. There is also a separate access point with another SSID connected to the mesh AP using an old router. None of the affected devices has any problems connecting to the WiFI. It only affects the WiFi on the PlusNet HomeHub.
    The problem is persistent.
  6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub? If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    The problem is sometimes temporarily resolved by rebooting the Hub but always returns within a short while (not timed).
    Apple Iphone 11 iOS14.4. Also Apple iPhone 7 and Apple iPadAir also with iOS14.4
    The problem has been noticeable for several weeks, probably since updating to iOS14+
    Hub connected directly to BT master socket (VDSL). Hub has it's own SSID shared on both WiFi channels. Connected to Hub by ethernet is iMac, a WiFi security hub and the Mesh network by 1300Mbps powerline adapter. In vicinity devices connected to Hub are a WiFi printer and a Google home on 2.4Ghz. Nothing is connecting on 5Ghz. All other devices in the household connect via mesh (Orbi with 2 satellites) either ethernet or WiFi, including a range extender in a separate garage.
mjfoad

Hi @bobpullen, can we please push the firmware update too? We have all the same symptoms as the OP adn our current router firmware is also 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Consistenly get error messages say the password is wrong on wifi, internet connection dropping although devices show wifi connection to router and router is connected. As previoius posters have stated, after renaming the 5GHz network with separate SSID it transpires that only the 5GHz network is affected.

The problem occurs when the hub status indicator is blue and devices appear to connect correctly (except when the password is rejected) but have no actual connection to the internet

Originally they were merged but I have since split them. Only the 5GHz network is affected. 

The problem is indeed persistent. When wired into the hub (ethernet cable) there are no connectivity issues. 

Yes. Whenever more than one device connects to the 5GHz network, the problem is triggered. 

The problem is temporarily resolved by rebooting the hub. The problems don't take long to recur afterwards (usually when more than one device simultaneously connect to the 5GHz network.)

N/A

No.

We just have the router provided when we joined up with plusnet connected up via the microfilter which was also provided. This is conneccted to the master socket. In terms of devices we use; several laptops, a PC (which uses a wired connection,) a couple of smart phones and several games consoles.

Many thanks in advance, it would be great to be pushed forward for the firmware update so please keep me posted and let me know if you require further information!

Gunner276

I have given up waiting and purchased a BT home hub 6 for £15. Annoying as I threw one away about 18 months a go!!

Set up took seconds, internet now working perfectly and no need to separate bands!! Also looks a lot nicer than the ugly plusnet one!

The plusnet hub is clearly not fit for purpose. And refunds should be issued to all customers stuck with it!
JohnBlight
Hooked

How long should we expect to wait for the update from having made the request?