cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
nigeltsang

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Hi @bobpullen, here's some information regarding my issue with 5GHz. Please could you push out the hotfix onto my router, as it's been getting ridiculous over the last few days with dropouts happening daily. I'm on firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 , last update listed as 'unknown'

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    Wifi signal shows as connected still but no Internet connectivity on device. When switching out of the 5GHz and back in, it will usually fail to connect or come up with a prompt for the password. It's happening pretty much daily now since a week or 2 ago. Previously it was happening every few days or less, but has definitely increased in frequency over time.
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    Yes, they appear to be connected to the hub, or my wifi repeater. The light is always blue when this happens.
  3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    The channels are split with the 5GHz named differently. Only appears to be a problem with 5GHz but there is a lot of congestion on the 2.4GHz band so speeds are slow on that band.
  4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    It usually requires a reset of the router to get things working again. However, I've had it once or twice where it seems to recover itself after a few minutes. There are some devices wired into the router and I don't think they are affected. With the PS5 games console when running a game that has network stats showing, I can see that there is a lot of packet loss when it starts happening, with it stabilising from time to time, before eventually dying altogether.
  5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    I do not know what triggers it. In the last couple of days, I have had some new devices that I connected onto the 5GHz band but the problem was not triggered at the time of them joining the network. Nor did it seem to be triggered by any particular device waking. I do have a lot of devices connected though so wouldn't be 100% on it.
  6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    Yes. Recurrences happen at random times, sometimes it only happens once a day, sometimes multiple times a day.
  7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    All 5GHz connected devices are affected.
  8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    No
  9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
    Plenty of devices connected on 5Ghz band. Any devices that don't support 5GHz are on 2.4GHz. I have some powerline adapters that are connected to some IP cameras, and a TP Link Wifi repeater which was added when I thought that the cut outs were happening due to signal strength. There are also some smart home controllers connected into the hub via ethernet.
kevanfulton
Hooked

Hi there,

I have been having some issues and it sounds like it might be this. I would appreciate any fixes that are available.

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? The problem is intermittent and seems to be specific to a couple of devices on the 5ghz network. Download and upload speed is terrible on these devices but on others on the same 5ghz network at the same time it is fine. I'm getting connection warnings on zoom, i'm hardly able to access my work remote desktop at times and web page download is so slow.

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? Always blue when it happens

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? They are merged and it only affects devices that come up as being on the 5ghz channel

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? The issue lasts for a while but it seems to, on occasions, fix itself. Other times i have restarted the laptop and the router.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] Im not aware of a way to trigger it but it will always happen at some point if i'm on my laptop.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? I dont know about this. It can happen multiple times a day.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. It seems to only happen to my and my partners HP elitebook work laptops. Windows 10 enterprise, version 1803. iphone, ipads and smart tv don't seem to have the problem.

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? Nope

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. We just have the router as supplied when we joined plusnet. No wired connections. Devices in answer to questions 7
teatrayfc
Hooked

Am a recent ADLSv2 to VDSL convert (both with PlusNet) and am having the 5Ghz wifi issues. Split SSID's/neworks, some wired devices (NAS etc), issue affects Win10, Nintendo Switch, Android TV, iOS 12 & 14 devices. Symptoms are:- no connection is possible, sometimes "incorrect password" displayed on iOS, other times connection is intermittent (Win10), restart of router cures but problem now returns within a day or so. Router was actually 100% OK for the first 2 weeks of usage, then one outage was followed by another 24 hours later, then another 48 hours later.

Luckily I researched the issue prior to migration and have a Huawei HG router flashed with updated firmware on standby if the current workaround of switching off 5Ghz proves unworkable.

Should someone from PN respond to this post please can they confirm when the updated firmware will be pushed to all PN Hubs???

fastclau

I doubt there will be an update coming soon! The update provided by admin here is still in the beta stage! I would suggest connecting your Huawei router instead and keeping the PN router as well just in case!!!
DanielRW
Hooked

Hello, I am having severe problems with 5gz. If I can get the work around patch that be fantastic.

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 26/03/19

1.Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

When 2.4 & 5gz were synced; devices would randomly (about once a day) disconnect and wont connect til I reset the hub. nothing connects to 5gz. separating the them while 2.4gz is fine, Nothing can connect to the 5gz.

2.Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?

only phone would connect to 5gz with a "authorisation problem" message but stays connected. hub is always blue.

3.Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

Split them with different names when the problems got worse. only problem is the 5gz.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

5gz never works. 2 computers through ethernet, always connected.

5.Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

5gz is Always broken.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?

can fix things for while then break soon after.

7.If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

Anything that uses 5.gz.

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/smart-clock/ this always disconnects.

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? 

No

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

2 android phones 

4smart lights (all use 2.4gz)

alexa

next hub

smart clock

a switch connected to two computers.

Thanks for reading.

neiljoboulter

I have exactly this issue. My router is running the .263 firmware. I have split the bands so I can see what is connected to which band. 5Ghz drops out after a few days, WiFi speeds halve and the devices connected spend time searching for the band but am told wrong password (it isn’t). Restart router and device connects to 5Ghz and WiFi speeds go back up.
My contract with Plusnet is up for renewal. I have requested a new router to try before I decide whether to renew (I would return it if I decided not to renew). I have been told I can’t have one as it only has a 12 month warranty (unfair with an 18 month contract) and I can only have one if I renew. Very disappointed; I explained that I knew it was a known issue and was told ‘if you look for an issue you will find it’.
neiljoboulter

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 |

1.Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

When 2.4 & 5gz were synced; would have good speeds for a few days, then speeds would halve and some devices would struggle to connect. Rebooting the hub would resolve the issues, again for a few days.

2.Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?

Hub is always blue. Now the bands have been separated, it is clear the problem is with devices connected to 5GHz band.

3.Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

Split them with different names when the problems got worse. only problem is the 5gz.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent? Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

Persistent until router rebooted, then ‘resolved’ for a few days. Hive hub is connected to the router and not affected.

5.Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

Always seems to happen after a few days to devices on 5Ghz band.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub? If so, how long does it take before problems recur?

Can fix things for a few days then break soon after.

7.If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

Anything that uses 5.gz.

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?

No

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

Plusnet Hub One router
Macbook
2 laptops
3 iPhones
4 Alexas
Smart bulbs
2 smart plugs
3 Smart TVs
Freesat box
WiFi extender plug
neiljoboulter

@bobpullen

Please see above two messages. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
Crodley040489

1. The issue is with wifi devices not connecting. Either getting a no internet connection or it does not recognise the password. This does not affect wired devices but effect x3 smartphones, one gaming console and an ipad. After speaking to a cso at plusnet i was provided with a new router but the issue is the same.
2. The problem does not appear to be associated with the hub and the light is solid blue when this happens.
3. The channels are merged. Default settings.
4. This does not effect wired devices but is happening the the wireless devices anything up to 7 times a day.
5. If a network is forgotten on a wireless device then the issue will occur.
6. Once the hub has been reset then the problem seems to fix itself but this can only last for ten minutes.
7. X2 iphone 12 latest ios, iphone 11 latest ios. Ipad latest ios. Android phone. Playstation 5, LG Oled Tv. X3 dell laptops with windows operating system.
8. The issue started approx three weeks ago and there were no specific updates on the devices which corresponded with this.
9. Plusnet hub router. X2 rockspace wireless extenders.

When i spoke to plusnet they didn't seem to be aware of this specific issue and the new router is having the exact same issue. Please can you apply the reactive work around.

Kind regard,

Chris
timraper
Hooked

Sorry @bobpullen another one

Oh dear not a good start!, new customer.

As far as I'm concerned this hub is not fit for purpose in it's current state.

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

When 2.4 & 5gz were synced; devices would randomly (about once a day) disconnect and wont connect til I reset the hub. With separate SSIDs the 2.4gz connections remain good, Nothing can connect to the 5gz until the hub is restarted

2.Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?

hub is always blue. Android phone for example, displays the ! on the wifi symbol

Split them with different names when the problems got worse. only problem is the 5gz.

wired connections are ok while the 5ghz devices fail

happens 3 or 4 times a day

it is a temporary workaround not a fix

Devices that are using 5Ghz are all affected

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? 

No

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

2 android phones 

8 smart plugs

4 powerline sockets

echo dot(alexa)

google home mini

miGenie smart gateway(central heating)

3 Foscam IP camera(wired and wifi)

2 macbook

2 desktop pc

2 x LG TV

3 raspberryPi

chromecast

TPLink wifi extender

Belkin wifi extender

2 x ethernet hub/switch

JennyH1

Hi really need a workaround to this 5g connection problem. Currently using 2.4 only but i need the 5g. Any help appreciated. New router? Firmware downgrade?

1. Devices will not connect to 5 g network. ‘unable to connect’
2. Hub lights blue
3. Channels are split and problem only affects 5g
4. Persistent problem. No wired connections
5. Cannot reproduce
6. Problem resolved by rebooting but only lasts a day or so.
7. Various products affected. Iphones, HP laptops, Dell laptops
8. Unsure
9. No adaptors or additional switches.
JerryH1
Dabbler

I think by now many of us have realised that the Hub One has issues which are not going to be resolved any time soon, this issue has been going on for nearly two years.  If you need a quick solution I suggest getting hold of an alternative router.  Like many others on here I bought a BT Home Hub 6 which has completely resolved the issues, this is a cheap and pretty simple solution.

JerryH1
Dabbler

JennyH1

Where have you bought your Home hub 6 from? I am reluctant to spend much seeing as this is a Plusnet issue not my issue

JerryH1
Dabbler

EBay is the obvious first stop, typically they are £15-£30 but you might get lucky with a local facebook sale or other site.  Some have picked them up for a few quid in local charity shops.