Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
JohnBlight
Hooked

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

@bobpullen

Could the firmware update be applied to our hub too, please? (Perhaps obviously, if the update would cause loss of connection, it would need to be done outside school and work hours, particularly the former.)

My wife, a teacher, is conducting lessons remotely. One of my sons is working from home, with a remote connection to his work’s network. My other son is having school lessons remotely. Connection issues are having a serious impact here.

With thanks.

rosslister84

Hi @bobpullen 

My router is experiencing the exact same issues as every one else on here with firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.

Would it be possible to push a firmware upgrade through to my route also please.

Thanks

tjmilburn
Hooked

I'm glad I've found this thread. Having been going slightly mad from the 5Ghz wifi issue...

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? from time to time, the 5Ghz channel will drop out - my devices will report that no internet is available, although the blue light remains on the hub router, and devices plugged into the ethernet LAN ports continue to have internet connected. It won't resolve until I reboot the router.
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? The connection from the hub router to the internet seems to remain, but the fault seems to lie with the 5Ghz wifi transmitter. Hub light stays blue but devices can't connect. With my iPad, if I try to reconnect to the 5Ghz channel, it whirrs and eventually says that there is an incorrect password but this is not true as the password hasn't changed. My mobile and laptop will connect but report that internet is not available. Other devices like my TV and SkyQ box that are plugged directly into the ethernet LAN ports have no issues and continue to remain connected to the internet.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? I have split the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and given the 5 a different name. Prior to this, I would notice that the connection was randomly flipping between 2.4 and 5, and noticed that my speed would drop from around 70Mbps sometimes to around 40, or 20, or even lower. I am very close to my fibre cabinet (about 100 metres) so 70 should be easy to achieve. Now that I've split the 2.4 from the 5 I have noticed that the error is clearly with the 5Ghz transmitter.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? When it drops out, it affects all devices that are connected to the wifi. Device that are directly plugged in such as TV, SkyQ, don't have issues.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] No - it just happens from time to time with no apparent cause.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? Rebooting the hub does always fix the problem but obviously I don't want to be doing that often. There is no noticeable pattern betwwen the intervals when the 5Ghz drops out.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. It affects all devices on wifi

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? Don't think so?

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. My hub router is in the same room as everything else. TV, SkyQ box and Three mobile home signal box are all plugged into hub router LAN. My laptop, iPad and mobile phones (both Samsung) connect to the wifi. My hub router reports the following: "Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated Unknown" so perhaps could benefit from the firmware update?Huh

Following advice from Plusnet tech support, I split the 2.4 and 5 Ghz channels which is how I can identify that the issue is only with the 5Ghz. Was advised to use wifi analyser app to look at channel congestion (I live in a block of flats) and can see that there are lots of other wifi transmitters mostly around the same channels. As advised, I tried to stop both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz transmitters from choosing auto channels, to set them to channels that had less traffic from other people's wifi, but the hub router repeatedly reverts to auto channel every time I've tried to do this. Plusnet support sent me a replacement hub router as my previous one was a few years old. I replaced it and all the cables but the issue remains just as it did before so it does seem to be a major issue with the hub one routers, judging by how many others are reporting exactly the same issues as me. Update - someone from plusnet has just offered me £30 goodwill gesture to buy a third-party router to plug into the plusnet one... It just doesn't seem right that they are sending out these hub one routers that all seem to have issues with the 5Ghz transmitter.

mattb46

Hi @bobpullen 

Would you be so kind as to provide me with the firmware update as well please?

My software version is 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Thank you.

Could anyone tell me also how to find the 5ghz option as my PC does not even show it as an available network option? Thanks

MixerFistit
Dabbler

@mattb46 Log in and go to advanced settings on the top row and enter your admin password. Confirm you wish to enter advanced. Then click on wireless on the next row down.
Finally click on 5GHz on the next row.
Presumably you want to unsync from 2.4GHz so click on "No" on the appropriate option and rename your 5GHz SSID to whatever you like.
Click apply and confirm after reading the advisory that you may need to reconnect (including the device you're currently logged in with).
You may wish to just turn 5GHz off until you get the firmware update, but I'd leave it, because as long as you rename it it'll be on ready once you're upgraded.
Gunner276

Hi, I also have this issue. New router received last week with firmware version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.

I have split the channels but this is causing very slow performance.

Please can you update my router firmware, or perhaps send out a new router with the latest firmware on!

Wouldn't I be within my rights to purchase a 3rd party router and send you the bill? This is clearly a known issue!!
Dippy
Grafter
Fixes: 1

It's a few days since I rebooted our hub to use the .273 firmware. So far so good. No change in the WAN bandwidth. My phone will reliably connect over the 5GHz band with Mbps usually in the 800s but never less than the 500s. We don't heavily use the hub wifi so this hasn't affected us much - more of an irritation to find that when sitting in the office (near the hub) a phone might still be connected to our WAP on the other side of the house with low signal - and when we tried to connect to the hub it would previously fail (with .263). Disabling 5GHz had been a workaround although file transfer between phone and server had been slower over 2.4GHz so its good to be back on 5GHz. As I noted earlier, I could have switched to a 3rd party ADSL router, but I want the confidence that if I have a more serious issue in the future PlusNet support won't fob me off about using a 3rd party router when they ask what equipment I am using.

nickvale
Hooked

I've just talked to Plusnet customer support to register a formal complaint. I explained that I'd talked to Tech Support three times, and each time they made me split the network, reboot the Hub and generally faff about with their router, none of which solved the problem, so I bought a new router (HH6) which has been fine for nearly two weeks: clearly the problem lies with their Hub One. I also told them that as this problem has been known and talked about here about for around a year why didn't Tech Support know about it? I've said I expect a formal response to my complaint, and that it's unlikely I'll be renewing my contract. I was asked then if there was anything they could do, so I said reimburse me for the new router? No, they said, as I bought it before telling them I would. Not impressed. I've been with Plusnet for at least 15 years, really not good enough.  

fastclau

Hi everyone! After seeing that this issue goes back for more than 1 year, I've decided that I should buy a different router! I opted for the cheapest version, and I found a used BT Hub 6 on facebook marketplace! Paid £10 for it and it took less than 3 minutes to install it! All you need is the BT wifi name and password, the router admin password and your Plusnet username and password! There's a short tutorial on YouTube! I know it's been a day only, but now I get better connection, stable 5ghz on my devices and a slight increase in download/upload speed and latency! So guys.....I guess that's the best way to sort it!
JohnBlight
Hooked

Hi @Naomi_W,
Are you happy with your new TP-Link router?
Are you able to combine the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks, or do they have to run separately?
With thanks.
Naomi_W
Hooked

Hi @JohnBlight 

Yes we're happy with it. You can't combine 2.4 & 5 - they're separate channels 

Best wishes

stevewx
Grafter

@bobpullen 

This has been going on forever, but it's not v263 doing this, I believe it is the hardware.  So that's why you cannot solve it.

2019, I was downgraded to v237 and that seemed to help for a while..

2020 and lockdown.  2 adults, 2 teenagers all using wifi.  In the end it got SILLY as it looked as though you were connected to wifi, but it did nothing.  Turning the router off and on again would fix it for a few days.

So I contacted Plusnet and insisted they sent out a new router as this had got too silly for words.  I had to pay the £5.99, but happy to take the chance.

12th August 2020, new router using v263.  WiFi HAS BEEN STABLE FOR 6 MONTHS.

Getting drop outs with broadband, but this 5GHz wifi issue no longer exists.  Therefore I believe it is hardware related and not firmware.

If you ever want a known failed router back to play with in your workshop, I am happy to pay to send it to you.

Regarsd,

Steve K

MixerFistit
Dabbler

I'm disgusted you were charged £5.99 for a replacement to be honest.
Plusnet 1st line tech support are either dishonest or incompetent with regards to this fault. Before Bob mercifully updated my router I'd received a replacement (no difference) and was 2 months of tech support not acknowledging there was an issue, despite acknowledgement from the development team on here.

I recommend looking up flashing your spare router with openwrt. You'll have an excellent little router then and still have your normal plusnet one to fall back on.
tjmilburn
Hooked

oh yeah, and they're charging me £6.99 postage for the replacement router (that has the same issues ad the previous one...)

rpawz

Hi mattb46, it may be that your PC, if its a few years old, does not have a modern network adapter to work with the 5GHz wifi signal.  Both my Dell PCs, bought about 5 or 6 years ago could not connect to the 5GHz because of this, but were fine on the 2.4 signal.  The simple solution is to buy a USB wifi dongle for about a  tenner, and it will receive both signals.  For instance, this one has worked perfectly for me, on both my old Dell PCs...... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XZ5B5G9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Good luck, hope you get it sorted