cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
jmad1305

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

I've had massive issues with the 5GHz on my Hub 1.

Firstly nothing was actually connected to the 5GHz however I began experiencing problem with my Security camera's regularly dropping out (not what you want from a security camera) and found that I had to regularly reboot my router to get these to connect again, same story with other devices. I read on a different forum that the 5GHz, particularly on Plusnet Hub 1 routers, are known to cause the issues I have been experiencing. I have since separated the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands and given them different names.

For the last 6 weeks I have had no security camera drop outs and do not have to reboot the router (unless I choose to do so)

However, I cannot connect anything to the 5GHz band. I know that it's not great through walls etc, however I have tried to connect my new SMART TV (which is situated about 5 feet from my router) to this and whilst it appears connected - it isn't actually. I have no access to apps, Amazon Prime, Netflix etc etc. I have had to revert back to 2.4GHz band for the time being. I have tried devices with the same result - mobile phones, tablets etc.

I have read about potential software issues etc, but any advice would be greatly received. Or any Plusnet support would be appreciated.

danny1199
Dabbler

@bobpullen 

I have called support but their solution (to reset my router) didn't update my Hub One router software from .263.  I posted on here last week but have received no reply.  Yesterday I posted on Twitter Plusnet Help and have just received a reply telling me to post a request on here to have the most recent software update pushed to my router. I hope somebody will read this that is able to do that for me.  Thanks.

chrishiggins69

Hi,

Great post. I feel sure my issue although not the same as mentioned here is related.

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    When connected to the 5Ghz wifi my laptop cannot see any part of the network that is wired from the LAN ports. It can see the internet and any other device connected to the wifi of the PNH1, but nothing down the line. Noticed when trying and failing to print to a printer that is on an AP down that LAN line.
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    All devices look fine. Accessing the GUI of both the PNH1 and the other AP I can see all devices and their connections.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    Merged. This problem only affects 5GHz and thank you for this post leading me to test that. I disabled the 5GHz, made sure the laptop was connected to the PNH1 2GHz and the rest of the network became visible to it.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    This only affects things connected to the 5GHz of the PNH1. Ethernet connections are fine, as are 2GHz connections.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    Now I have re-enabled the 5GHz all is working well. It seems the 5GHz needed a kick, and a reboot of the whole router might have done that but also masks any proper testing so I only do that as a last resort of if I've run out of time.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    As above.. we'll see how long this working state lasts.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    Windows 10, HP Envy. 

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    Did some updates to try and fix but nothing changed. Definitely the 5GHz radio. We have had intermittent drop offs as described but the main thing was the lack of network availability from the LAN ports.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
    I have the PNH1 in the lounge and a wire AP in the study.

PNH1 40Mb ADSL.
    LAN 1 - unmanaged 1Gb switch - TV, workstation, Soundbar, etc.
    LAN 3 - cable - Tenda AP. 
    WiFi - roaming phones, Firesticks, laptops.
    Tenda AP
    LAN 1 -  laptop,
    WiFi - Printer, roaming phones, TVs.

Hope this helps.. There was definitely something wrong with the 5GHz radio which 'turning off and on' solved. And by that I mean the radio and not the hub. Let's see how long it lasts..! 

Thanks

Rhyd

Hi, this is exactly the problem we are having on a daily basis since getting our new router. I have answered the questions below to the best of my ability:

Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? The 5 frequency stops working on a daily basis and all devices get switched to the 2.4.

Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? Light is blue, they are connected to the 2.4.

Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? They are spilt, it only affects the 5GHz as far as I can see.

Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? It seems to happen daily and affects all devices connected to the 5GHz. We have no wired devices.

Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]. I'm not sure how it's triggered, but seems to happen at some point daily, requiring us to turn router off and on.

Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? Yes this seems to sort it out for the remainder of the day.

If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. Lenovo laptop, Huwawei laptop, Samsung S10 phone, Honor phone. Various devices are all kicked off the 5GHz.

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? No, it started when we put the router in.

Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. No additional adapters etc. 4 laptops, 4 mobiles, Xbox, Nintendo switch.

We are running on the .263 firmware version.

I would be very grateful if you could help please.

Thanks
nickvale
Hooked

I am having exactly the same problem and after numerous calls to tech support they've been unable to fix it. Following advice here I've just turned off my 5g and will see if that helps. Meanwhile: Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? The 5 frequency stops working every 2 or 3 days. My desktop says it's connected to the router but there's no Internet. 

Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? Light is blue, 

Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? They are split, it only affects the 5GHz as far as I can see. Have turned 5GHz off for the moment

Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? It seems to happen daily and affects all devices connected to the 5GHz. I have no wired devices.

Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]. I'm not sure how it's triggered, but happens 2 - 3 days after the last router reboot

Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? Yes this seems to sort it out for 2 to 3 days

If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. Win 10 desktop, Android phone are only devices I've noticed it on 

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? No, it started when I put the router in.

Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. No additional adapters etc. 1 laptop, 1 mobile, 1 skybox, 2 iPads.

Running on the .263 firmware version.

SWilliams1

Dear Bob,

I've just come across your excellent thread which identifies the issue I have been experiencing for months.

It has become critical in recent weeks, however,  as I am currently unable to access wifi for more than a few seconds at a time on my work laptop. Other devices in the house also experience intermittent wifi. In the last week, I have defaulted to ethernet connection but even that has been unstable as well. I am slightly pulling my hair out here.

Hoping you have a bespoke fix.

Best wishes,

Seth

Robadobalus

@bobpullen 

I have received the replacement hub - this seemed to make things worse.

It had the same firmware as the other one. So I reverted back to the other hub. 

I have since purchased a high end TP Link router with external antennas, and will allow mesh networking. 

So far this has solved all issues and the 2GHz, 5GHz issues are resolved by using a different router. 

I will raise a request to return the new Plusnet One router. 

Once I am content I will also send back my old Pluset One router and any other plusnet hardware I have. 

I suspect the new firmware/software might have solved the issue but as I have a stable setup I don't want to change things around any more. 

Thanks for the help. 

Rob

Peter_Paul_fox
Hooked

Hi,

i have done the same and replaced the Hub One with a TP Router. Great 5 GHz signal everywhere and all devices now connect.

Also my download and upload speeds are being reported about 20% faster. 

I have been with PlusNet over twelve years and this is the first time I have used a Hub One modem/router. I have never used a PlusNet router before.

Anyway I hope it gets sorted, but the 'Push' system of updating firmware wasn't something I liked.

danny1199
Dabbler

Hi,

I have given up expecting any response from Plusnet as I have asked for the updated software twice on this forum, called support and also asked on Twitter support over the past couple of weeks but still have no update. 

I think the only answer is to buy another router so I was wondering which TP router you bought and whether it's very difficult to set it up as I'm not overly tech.  I'd appreciate your advice.  Thanks.

skibuddy

Hi @Peter_Paul_fox, could you let me know the model of the TP Link you purchased, as I’ve been looking at these to solve the hub one issues but these a few different TP link models that could equally work etc

jmad1305

@skibuddy @Peter_Paul_fox I am also interested in which TP router to choose
jschaitel

Hello, I am still having issues with my 5GHZ, having put up with it for half of the time I have been with you I would like to cancel my contract with you. I feel you are in breach of your provision of (fast) internet and I should therefore be able to move to a new supplier with no fee.

danny1199
Dabbler

When I left a message on their Twitter Support page about this they told me to request the update on this forum, but now looking at all of the similar problems being reported here there never seems to be any reply from Plusnet.  Do they even monitor this forum or are we just sent here to shut us up?  If there are problems with their router, which there clearly is then they should be fixing it as a matter of urgency and we shouldn't be having to spend out more money to buy another router in my opinion. It would just be nice if somebody from Plusnet contacted everyone on this forum to advise us what, if anything, is being done to sort this out.  They pride themselves on their customer support, so where is it?

martinkingham

I posted my reply on here a few weeks ago but it since appears to have removed. All I had included was the answers to the original questions, as others have done and I'm receiving the notifications from this thread still, but no sign of my post or any response.
Has anyone else had an issue like this?!
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@danny1199 wrote:  If there are problems with their router, which there clearly is then they should be fixing it as a matter of urgency and we shouldn't be having to spend out more money to buy another router in my opinion. It would just be nice if somebody from Plusnet contacted everyone on this forum to advise us what, if anything, is being done to sort this out.  They pride themselves on their customer support, so where is it?

The problem you have (bit of an uphill battle really) is most ISP's only guarantee connections made via an ethernet cable. WiFi is just too variable. And rightly so. But not all routers are the same. For many years I have used my own router (and modem). I have never experienced any general connection WiFi problems. I did have a WiFi usb dongle (one of the variables of a WiFi connection) that wouldn't always play ball (fixed by buying an internal PCIe WiFi card) but generally everything connected 24/7 as one would expect.

Yes, routers do cost money but I feel its money well spent. Even though I've moved to another ISP, my old TP link router is still in use (piggybacked on to the router that my new ISP supplied). It is still just as reliable as it was when I bought it 6 years ago i.e. the WiFi (both bands) is always there.

As for replies to the forum, very few and far between. Seems there is a pandemic on going that messes up how the internet works.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?