Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
Beatleboy
Hooked

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Hi Bob

After updating my router  to the 273 a few weeks ago

everything  seems to be fine and running  ok across the board  so thank you for the help.

What's the best way to check my broadband  speed  I've used various online ones wirelessly  on the tablets only only get 20-40Mbs even when I plug my laptop directly  into the router its the same but when I log into the router it states 70mbs  ?

hillfort
Dabbler

I've been wondering if there's also a speed issue but I'm getting 33mb and min guarantee is 31mb. I'm on unlimited fibre so not good but it seems it's within the limits.

Beatleboy
Hooked

I have fibre extra guaranteed 60mbs
Beatleboy
Hooked

I'm on fibre extra
Guaranteed 60mbs
hillfort
Dabbler

Not denying your experience.

60mb is a lot. Fibre extra would only give me a guaranteed 37mb.

I can recall when the BT engineer came to install fibre he measured my raw speed as 76mb which was prior hooking into the Plusnet infrastructure and may only be the speed from my house to the cabinet 100 yards away.

While I was testing I speedtested data to my phone using 4g. I got 68mb. As it happens I have a 4g mifi router sitting on a shelf doing nothing.

frankc52
Grafter

There is line speed and as far as I’m aware BT does guarantee a WiFi speed if you pay the extra. Plusnet don’t guarantee any WiFi speed but do give a min line speed.

I have a line speed of 79.99 Mbps and normally get 68 to 73 mbps on the 5 GHz around my house. I’m using a BT Smart Hub 6
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

Im on my 2nd Hub One now and both have had this issue on 5ghz Wifi.

"Devices remain connected to the Wi-Fi network but report 'No Internet access' or a similar error. Other connected devices may continue to work during this time."

1. After a reboot 5ghz will work for about a week before devices will start reporting no internet access when connected to 5ghz wifi.
  2. devices appear connected and i can disconnect them and reconnect to 5ghz but then report no internet access.

3. Split SSID's problem only affects 5ghz.

4. wired devices and 2.4ghz devices continue to work as normal, problem only affects 5ghz wifi.

5. Problem happens around a week after a router reboot.

6. See above.

7. LG G3, Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S, PS4 Slim are all affected when connected to 5ghz.

8. No

9. Phones and PS4 connected via 2.4ghz wifi for now as i don't want to keep rebooting my router, PC connected via ethernet cable.

Screenshot_2020-11-08-20-55-29-849_com.android.settings.jpg

Microchip

Hi I too am having 5Ghz issues, firware is:

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated Unknown

We are yet to find a way to reliably replicate the problem ourselves under lab conditions, so it would be helpful if you can reply to this post answering the questions below (and providing any other detail you might think is useful!)

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? 5Ghz shows connection to router but internet not connected, started happening today, turned off 5Ghz radio and re-enabled, this fixed the issue for about 30 seconds then lost internet connection through the 5Ghz radio, 2.4Ghz radio is fine.
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? Normal blue, device shows connection but states no internet.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? Merged, 2,4Ghz radio is fine, 5Ghz radio not working.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? No devices wired to router, all devices are WiFi connected. I did connect one laptop to ethernet whilst trying to fault find, it connected as expected fine through ethernet and 2.4Ghz but failed 5Ghz.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] It just happened.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? Not had chance to reboot yet as better half is working so cannot reboot until she finishes later tonight. I did however disable the 5Ghz radio as sugested in your 1st post followed by enabling it again, this lasted all of 30 sceonds before failing again.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. All devices with dual band radios are affected.

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? No.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. No additional network hardware attached, up to 4 Windows 10 PC's (WiFi connected), 4 android phones, 1 Raspberry Pi (WiFi) and a WiFi printer.

Many thanks.

Andy

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@lazytexter @nightstalk3r & @Microchip - I've pushed an update to your devices. You'll need to reboot at your side to apply it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jmcaliskey

My WiFi network disappears within minutes of restarting the router. My 5GHz network is already toggles off and I cannot turn it on.
I have had no reliable internet connection for 6 weeks now.
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

@bobpullen rebooted and moved everything back over to 5ghz Wifi, will see if it's still working in a week and report back.

rivazza

Hi @bobpullen

Thanks for pushing the updated firmware to my router just over 1 week ago.

Pleased to report there have been no connection issues on either 5GHz or 2.4GHz bands (I have kept them separated).

Both the devices that dropped off 5GHz within 1 day before the update have been connected all week with no issues.

Thanks again for your help.
Mhowell

Hi there.

I've recently moved to plusnet and noticed this exact issue with my 5ghz wifi.

I've split the wifi channels and 5ghz stops connecting after a while. Would you be able to push the update to my router please?

Username is on my profile.

Many thanks!
Zeyneb
definedrisk

@bobpullen 

Same 5GHz issue. It has been happening for a few months, but I suspect longer. Same point of realisation when I separated the 5GHz band from 2.4GHz. Before that (with hindsight and subsequent testing) the devices were reconnecting on 2.4GHz. I'm using .263 - please can you push a firmware update for me to try?

Some background info:

Setup environment so only 1 device (android 10 motorola mobile) connected to 5GHz and removed 2.4GHz on this same device. I connected, view a web page and play some music form "Prime Music app" no initial problem but as soon as I open the "Alexa" app it disconnects. I can scan for wifi or just leave and it usually reconnects (to 5GHz). I left it for 30 mins connected (intermittent check of email etc) no problem. Open "Alexa" app again and immediate disconnect. This is most definitely a lower level firmware issue in the Plusnet Hub due to its handling of 5GHz (I don't have this problem anywhere else and it is most definitely not the phone!). I can get similar disconnects using a windows 10 laptop when streaming youtube or iplayer and swapping between channels or using "Zoom".

I have also tried each of the slower speed settings on the 5GHz band and this has made no difference.

The only current solution is to stop using 5GHz (which is not acceptable long term solution as described by the 90+ other posts in this thread and online forums such as https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/11/glitchy-5ghz-wifi-hits-users-of-uk-isp-plusnets-hub-on... )

I can soon test the firmware using above usage case. But as this has been going on so long PlusNet should be sending out some low cost 5GHz wifi adaptors to people who request them if this firmware does not resolve these issues entirely.

Wolfpeltz
Hooked

@bobpullen.  Thanks very much. I was just in the process of hard wiring all I could, but stopped. Since whatever you did, our phones have not dropped out once, nor has the Firestick, and TV. By the way, everything was on 2.4GHz previously, not  5GHz.