cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
churchfield69

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Just an update after 7 days with the new 273 firmware and just want to say the problems I had are totally fixed. 5ghz hasn't dropped once! Thanks again.

donnymow

Hi,

I have been having issues with my 5Ghz band for a few weeks now and stumbled across this thread - was certain it wasn't the router as we have used it for a long time without issues. After exhausting other options, and reading the description here, I do now think that this is the issue we are having.

Our new work laptops seem to want to automatically join the 5GHz channel but will constantly drop connection throughout the day. The wifi settings on laptop tends to say that we are actually still connected with strong signal - but that there is no internet available. This isn't actually internet issues as we are consequently able to use other devices (presumably on 2.4GHz) to access the internet. However, the only option we have found is to then physically reset the router each time. As we are connecting via Citrix to our workplace, this then means re-authentication. A bit of a pain.

This week we have not had so many issues but I have just looked at the router settings and there are no devices connected on 5GHz and the laptops have defaulted to Wireless N so would appear to be on 2.4GHz.

Obviously we would ideally be using 5GHz for the improved speed, please could the new firmware be pushed to our router? We are currently on the following firmware: Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 12/03/19

What can I do to help?

We are yet to find a way to reliably replicate the problem ourselves under lab conditions, so it would be helpful if you can reply to this post answering the questions below (and providing any other detail you might think is useful!)

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? See above

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? The status indicator is always blue when this problem manifests 

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? I have them as one SSID as there are a few Google Nest Minis, Chromecast audios etc and wouldn't be able to cast to all of them if on different SSIDs

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? This one is interesting, I have been able to plug in my laptop with an ethernet cable via powerline adapters and the connection is fine, another reason why I thought it was laptop wireless card, however the 5GHZ channel issue explains it better. The issues are not persistent in that we can reset the router and we can get back to normal, however it has caused 5-10 resets a day at times.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] No, seems entirely random - I can be working away, sometimes on Skype calls, and the connection drops. It also doesn't affect both of us at exactly the same time, tends to take a few seconds between one of us and the other. Same laptops supplied at end of August, which I think is probably when the connection issues started though. Perhaps our old equipment was happy enough on 2.4GHz

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? Yes, always resolved by rebooting, however it doesn't always last very long. Sometimes minutes, sometimes hours.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. It is always an issue with our laptops which are HP Elitebook with Intel wireless ac-9560 card. 

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? We only received them recently and started noticing the problem then. Pretty sure it's because our other devices are older and work happily on 2.4GHz

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. Router connected to Sky Q and powerline adapter by ethernet cables. OnePlus mobile phones connected via wifi, Chromecast audios, Nest Minis etc connected by wifi, desktop in office connected by ethernet on other end of powerline adapter.

Tags (1)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@SeanB @BPF14 @Wolfpeltz @chronicfc & @donnymow - I've just pushed an update to your devices. You'll need to reboot at your side to apply it. Hope it helps!

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

SpecialD
Rising Star

Is it fixed at last? - Well that's taken a good 2-3 years! My contract is up and I'm being charged double what I could be paying elsewhere and so I was about to (after 8 years) go elsewhere ...  

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@SpecialD  Well it isn't really fixed, they have regressed to an earlier firmware and modified that so it has probably lost other updates in the process. There are still issues with low speeds on the 5GHz band and possibly some obscure DNS problems. I would not use a Plusnet Hub one under any circumstances. My rule is to never use ISP supplied hardware it is almost always cheap and nasty. Just get a decent 3rd party modem/router and everything will be fine.😁

SpecialD
Rising Star

In which case I might as well get a sim card router and get one of those £18 unlimited data deals. Then I can take that with me wherever I go since it won't be tied to a phone line that I don't need!

John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

Hi Bob

Thanks for this thread. I've had problems with the 5GHz band for at least 3 years, and just assumed it was just me! My answer was to turn off the 5 GHz band.

I've tried it every now and then, but it just caused havoc on a couple of devices, so I'd turn it off again.

If there is an answer available, I'd love to give it a go. How do I go about updating the firmware on my Hb1?

John

SeanB
Hooked

@bobpullen - Hi Bob, I've rebooted the hub but the firmware version is unchanged?!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@RealAleMadrid both the throughput and DNS issues are fixed and on the backlog for the next software release.

@SeanB - sorry about that. Try another reboot.

@John_Hull - I've pushed an update to your device too. Again, try rebooting from your side.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

sp0oner73
Dabbler

@bobpullen just to update you I have had no end of problems over the last week with devices not being able to connect to the router and taking ages to resolve or having to reboot the router. If I reboot the router all is fine for about 48 hours then it all starts getting problematic again.

It's not just my phone this time but my laptop and my childten's devices from phones to laptops not being able to connect to the wifi.

When they are connected the speed issues have been resolved and can stream football on the xbox over wifi absolutely fine which is the first time ever that has been the case.

The issue of trying to connect to the wifi is a major pain though and it isn't just the 5ghz but also the 2.4 ghz. I have sometimes successfully disconnected the wifi and then connected again and then it works. Initially it tries to connect but just sits there saying connected but as an unidentified network as I assume at that point it is still trying to get a dhcp address. Other times it will eventually connect but may take 20 seconds or more before it comes up as connected. Again if I reboot the router the connections to the router will be immediate.

I'm really pleased the speed issues have ben fixed but frustrated at having to spend time on various devices getting them to connect to the wifi when it should be automatic and immediate.

John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Bob

I'd just looked at my Hub Manager, and noticed that the footer now says latest frimware update was todays date.  I'll do a restart and restart the 5GHz band to see if it works 🙂

John

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@sp0oner73 - that's disappointing to hear Sad

At this stage, we probably need to take the discussion outside of this thread and try and work out what is going on. Can you start my dropping me a private message listing every device you have on your network, and how it is connected to the router i.e. wired, 2.4GHz SSID or 5GHz SSID.

If you can then begin cataloguing the issues you encounter, alongside what device(s) it affected and what you did to recover the situation, then we can look at extracting some diagnostic information that will hopefully help identify whether or not we still have some issues that need ironing out.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

sp0oner73
Dabbler

@bobpullen thanks Bob OK will start making notes to try and capture the info before messaging you with the details.

lazytexter

I've suddenly been getting this 5Ghz issue for the past 2 months and it has been driving me crazy when moving around the house!

Hub currently shows as Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 23/07/20

@bobpullen- can you push the firmware update to my device as well please?

mikershaw
Hooked

Good day,

After rebooting into .273 nearly two weeks ago all has been good.

Many thanks,

Mike.