Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
munror01

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Hello

I might have this issue of dropouts from a new Plusnet Hub One router (new about 6 weeks ago).  Had a PN router for 4 years before. 

Experiencing dropouts in the home and poor signal comes and goes.

So somewhere between the laptop the sometimes used Netgear range extender and the Hub I'm experiencing frequent embarrassments on Zoom as I drop out (again).

How do I even go about troubleshooting this? 

Or do I just get the most powerful alternative router I can buy?

Thanks

usamahward

For the longest time, I couldn't get my WIn10 laptop to connect on 5GHz, despite all the settings appearing to be correct, including on the adapter. Eventually, I found that by unticking the "Use the same Wireless SSID and Wireless key as 2.4 GHz" setting on the router for 5GHz configuration, then giving it a different name, allowed me to select it directly from the networks available; this also made it easy to select 2.4GHz instead. Yay!

This then brought me into the world of this thread, which is 5GHz internet connections disappearing seemingly at random, and notably during Zoom meetings. Whilst the changes above allowed me to quickly switch to 2.4Ghz, these channels are quite congested in the block of flats where I live.

So, @bobpullen , could you kindly push the router firmware update to me? Thanks.

nicanlee

Thanks Bob, just re-started router, updated to 273, re-enabled 5GHz and will report back.

Many thanks

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@bstaker @stevekelly74 @mikershaw @munror01 & @usamahward - An update has been pushed to your respective devices. You'll need to reboot the router at your side to apply it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

usamahward

Thanks. I'll see how it goes, then post here again.

mikershaw
Hooked

Good day,

Many thanks for push.

Now running .273

Speed now around 6.4Mbps down and 0.5 up (usually around 60 and 18).

After reboot had to keep trying admin login until it finally accepted it. (quite a few NTP sync errors around the same time).

Loathe to reboot again as it takes so long for speed to recover again. Not sure if it is reboots or update that has killed the speed.

Not sure why, but Broadband user name changed to setup@plusdsl.net

Iphone eventually connected to 5Ghz.

Android tablet connects with no internet and sends me to router login screen!

Will keep playing.

Regards, 

Mike.

C_Small

Hi @bobpullen,

Could I please have the Router Firmware update pushed to me?

Been a Plusnet customer for 10 years + and have had the Plusnet Hub One Router for two months now. Separated the bands the day I got it and have had frequent drop outs on the 5GHz that can only be fixed with a reset. 

Started to think I needed to get in touch about a faulty device until I stumbled upon this thread!

Many thanks, 

C_Small 

mikershaw
Hooked

Good day,

After doing a factory reset and restoring my usual settings can login with correct user name.

Apple and Android devices now connect to 5Ghz.

Will keep you updated as to how they do.

Was starting to think that I would have to use a different router.

Speed now around 28/14 with VPN and other devices in use.

Many thanks,

Mike.

rivazza

Hi @bobpullen

Please can I have the firmware fix pushed as I am currently on 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 and have had this issue for ages.

Up to now I just had 5ghz disabled but I re-enabled it for setting up a new device I just got and now I know about the fix I'd much rather have it enabled and working.

Many thanks!
jcluckie

Hi Bob,

Had v. 287 installed for a week and a half now and I'm glad to say it seems to be working great. 5 GHz problems haven't reappeared. Occasional dropouts on 2.4 GHz but they're not persistent and recover within a minute or so.

Thanks for your help.

James

Harryforman

Hi Bob,

Please could I also have the firmware update pushed to my router? I have been having the 5Ghz issue for a few months now

Thanks
robfryer

Hi @bobpullen can I get the fireware update too please? I've been having the same issue with 5Ghz not working.

Thanks,

Rob

scottw

Hi Bob

Thanks for pushing version 273 on Friday 23rd. Some feedback:

After the update I soft rebooted my H1, and 5GHz WiFi started working, although after 30 mins my Dell laptop (Win10, Inspiron 7373) that I was using started having major problems on the 5GHz connection. I soft-booted the H1 again. It was then pretty good for about 3 days, on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz. I noticed some issues with the same Dell laptop - it was probably  on the edge of the range for 5GHz and kept cycling between 2.4GHz and 5GHz with drop-outs in-between.

Today, the 2.4GHz WiFi connection was repeatedly refusing connections, although 5GHz was still working fairly well. With the 2.4GHz & 5GHz WiFi enabled, the ping response to my H1, from an Ethernet connected computer was delayed every 5s. E.g. pings normally 2ms were around 700ms to 1s, repeating every 5s. Turning off both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi solved the ping problem, and after turning both back on, devices connect to both, everything working fairly normally again.

pcr1304

Hi @bobpullen ,

Been experiencing this problem for several months and just stumbled upon this thread.

1) Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

Both my wife and I have been working from home since March and problem has been getting progressively worse since then. It now happens most days and rebooting the routing usually sorts it.

Our laptops and iOS/Android phones experience all 3 of the following:

• Devices intermittently present authentication/password errors when trying to connect to the Wi-Fi network, even though the password is correct.
  • Devices intermittently lose the ability to connect to the Wi-Fi network at all.
  • Devices remain connected to the Wi-Fi network but report 'No Internet access' or a similar error. Other connected devices may continue to work during this time.

2) Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?

Yes, all devices are connected and the hub light is blue.  Occasionally, disconnecting/reconnecting works but we usually have to reboot the rooter.

3) Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

2.4 & 5GHz channels are merged. The problem has just happened again and my laptop is connected to 5GHz.

4) Once the problem occurs is it persistent? Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

Both my wife and I are working from home and, when the problem happens, it seems to affect us both.  No devices are wired to the router.

5) Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

Problem seems to be random and intermittent.

6) Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub? If so, how long does it take before problems recur?

Rebooting usually resolves the problem for a day. However, recently (past month or so) it has been getting worse and can reoccur within hours.

7) If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

2 Windows 10 laptops (Toshiba Satellite Pro + Lenovo Thinkpad), Samsung Galaxy S8 (Android 9), iPhone 7 and Sony Bravia are usually affected.  Never noticed previously whether they were connected to 2.4 or 5GHz.

Cool Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?

Not that I'm aware of.

9) Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

Single Plusnet router, connected to the main phone socket via a micro filter. All devices connect via Wi-Fi. No additional powerline adapters or switches are in use.

I'm about to try and disable 5Ghz on the router to see if that does anything.

Thanks,

Paul

marcyd
Dabbler

Hi Bob can you please push the update to me as I have had the 5ghz problem for over a year.

Thanks in advance