Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
Kes1
Dabbler

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

To bobpullen
Just to let you know I've been on .273 since 14 May and the 5 ghz has been fine.
We have the basic broadband though, so the throughput does slow down with too many devices using it which is to be expected.
( Plusnet sent us a Hub One to replace the 2 appalling Hub Zeros which never worked ).
nerrawb

@bobpullen I hope you can help.  I've been really busy and not had a chance to full troubleshoot what I believe is the 5Ghz wifi issue here.  Following router restarts [fairly frequently - every few days] devices seem to not be able to connect to 5Ghz or WiFi slows down considerably.  I do not want to drop down to 2.4Ghz as a fix.  Could you please push down latest beta firmware to my router and fingers crossed this resolves most of my issues.  Currently on Hub One firmware version ending .263

danielmeakes

@bobpullen

Please may I also have my router updated to the latest version as I am too experiencing issues with 5 GHz devices.

Many Thanks
chadwick25

@bobpullen 

I think we're another victim of the 5 GHz connectivity issue. We have the Hub 1 with the .263 firmware. We've been having problems with internet access via WiFi on certain devices for a while... resetting the hub sorts it for a bit, but sooner or later the affected devices lose their connections again.

I've eventually realised that 5 GHz is the common factor, and configuring the affected network adapters to prefer 2.4 GHz seems to be a stable workaround. But I'd rather have dual band WiFi that works.

Please could you add us to the list for a firmware update? Thanks in anticipation.

Jh47
Dabbler

When the problem starts initially I phoned Plusnet and a while later they said they had updated my router. It was ok for a while but then started again. Phoned Plusnet again and the person I spoke to inferred it was my laptop causing the problem. Eventually after more phone calls plusnet sent me a new router. You would assume a new router would have all necessary updates. It would seem not as after a few weeks the problem began again. It was only when I took my laptop to the local experts that I found out about the 5Ghz problem and the solution. They checked over my laptop and said there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. 

Plusnet seem to be ignoring this problem. It"s time they resolved it once and for all. Their motto "We'll do you proud". Is no longer true. 

JestersTear
Dabbler

I'm on .273 since May and still get the wireless dropouts. Router reset solves for a few days and then they come back.

Been with Plusnet for 16 years now but think its time to go with BT FTTP.

Can't work on remote servers with the wireless dropping every hour or so.

Shame but...........what can you do?

JestersTear
Dabbler

What I dont get is how using a BT Router fixes the issue - don't they use same firmware but BT branded?

Iandfisher
Rising Star

It's not the same router. It's an older BT HH5 but still far superior to the PN Hub 1. After 6 months of the devices losing connectivity, incorrect password issues, devices not connecting at all (Alexa and WiFi extenders) etc and after being fobbed off by PN telephone no-help line I followed this forum and bought the BT HH5. Setting up was simple - just added my PN username and password and I've been trouble free since Nov 2019. Gladly, I've only got 3 1/2 months of PN then I'm off to pastures more reliable.

JestersTear
Dabbler

@alandfisher 

Do you have a link to the router model? Does it have to be a specific fibre model?

Might give that a go until end of contract

Iandfisher
Rising Star

This is who I bought mine off. This is a little more expensive but it is the HH6. He even sent instructions for Plusnet users (I'm guessing lots of PN customers buy from him). However, there is nothing more to do other than logo onto the hub and add your PB username and password. In case PN block the link the seller is called network-refurbisher on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plusnet-BT-Smart-Hub-Home-Hub-6-Fibre-FTTC-ADSL-Broadband-Wireless-AC-Rou...

SAABDude
Grafter

Also try your local Freecycle or Freegle on the web.  Got my BT HH6 for free that way.  Works great.

Legion777sw

Hi @bobpullen My router is experiencing the same issue as reported and I'm on firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 

I've seen your posts where you asked users to PM you account info to arrange an update to firmware version 273 which appears to resolve the issue. I'm interested in this but currently cannot PM I assume it is because I've only just made an account on the forums

Tonymcclennon2
Dabbler

Hi @bobpullen,

Thanks for arranging for v273 of the firmware to be pushed to my router.

Less than a day in, but fingers crossed, not seen the problems we were having previously.

mkchris83

Hi @bobpullen I also seem to have this issue with 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.  Please could I have the latest version?

simonv74

@bobpullen - I need this too! Hope you can help.