Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
Jh47
Dabbler

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

After speaking to my local Tech Heroes. I was advised to log into router admin and disable the 5 ghz. Did that and ensured all my devices were connected to 2.4.. Everything has been working fine ever since. There is now a small orange light below the blue light on the router but that doesn't bother me.. As Plusnet seem unable to fix this issue best to fix it yourself.  As a 72 year old struggling to keep up with latest jargon and technology I have found the Plusnet team sadly lacking. 

Dougrattray

@bobpullen my router didn't receive the update, t's still on .263.  It's probably because I was using an old router when it was pushed.  

I've plugged the plusnet one back in and rebooted it several times over the last couple of weeks but haven't seen the update.

Thanks for your help.

taktakg

Hello @bobpullen 

Our household has been experiencing the same issues expressed by many others on this thread. Despite splitting the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks and changing the channels, the 5ghz network doesn't connect and we experience frequent dropouts on the 2.4ghz network (starting roughly a year ago). We've been in touch with support who say there is no fault on the line. I can see that we are on firmware update 4.7.5.1.83.8.263. Could you please send through the firmware that you sent to other people's routers? Please let me know if you need any futher details to do this.

Regards,

MT.

Breeze77

Hi all and @bobpullen 

Firstly Bob, thanks for the speedy firmware update.  Whilst we are now able to connect to 5g we are still experiencing severe wifi issues.  The connection isnt stable, the wifi speeds arent consistent (as in they can be super fast or drop off a cliff in seconds) and I'm not sure what to do.

We have a booster which solved wifi range/speed issues we were experiencing through the start of wfh, but we started having issues again on the 19th August and on the 20th our router didnt connect us at all.  It was once the router started working again (apparenly an issue with the exchange) that the 5g issues got worse.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Shmeker
Dabbler

Hi all and @bobpullen,
Just an update..
Once again thank you @bobpullen for updating the software version to. 273
It has been 7 weeks now since the update and the 5ghz issue is fixed but I've been experiencing WiFi speed issues. It was around 70 mbps downloading speed, but since the update it drops daily to around 17-18 mbps. At times, if I switch the WiFi off on the device I'm using and then back on again the speed goes back to the normal 70mpbs.
Ferdy79

Hi @bobpullen,
I have firmware .263 and I also cannot connect to the 5ghz band. I have split the 2.4ghz off and can connect to that fine, but when I try to connect to the 5ghz band I get "cannot connect to network". Can I please try the updated firmware to see if that will allow me to connect to the 5ghz?

Thanks
grahamdue

Hi . I am also experiencing the 'loss' of 5ghz at random and increasingly frequent intervals. I've currently got an open question on my account as there was a fault showing when the line was tested but the TV (which connects via 2.4ghz) never has issues yet phones/laptops which use 5ghz are unable to connect/ access the internet or are randomly disconnected. Can you let me know the details required to get the hub software update as we're currently on version 263?
Thanks
Hanes

Loss of 5ghz is an understatment, I've followed all advice from the previous thread..Disable 5ghz yet still having issues.

Any chance of qa firmware update being pushed to me, so I don't have to rely on eBay. Honestly most times this wouldn't be an issue but it's a bit jarring when I only moved to you less than 2 months ago.

Hub firmware is 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 if that helps.

rob571330

I found an older router from 2018 which I tried today - the last firmware update on it was 2018. Works fine on both 2.4 and 5GHz. Early days so perhaps Plusnet, dont change the fimware

Perhaps I am on the wrong post but why should customers accept this delay. Unfortunately I am in with PN for another 10 months and am looking for a way out. One cheesed off customer PluNet and I am sure there are many other.

R

Ferdy79

Managed to find an old Technicolor TG589vac router, put my plusnet details in and its working a treat. I'll just leave my plusnet router in a box until its time to swap providers.
bermudas

@bobpullen Hi - is there any estimate of when the new firmware will become generally available and pushed to all plusnet hub ones?

Sarmstr7
Dabbler

@bobpullen My router still randomly drops to half the normal speed, would I be able to get the update as I'm still on 263?

PartyPirate

Good to see I'm not the only one struggling with this.

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? - all 5GHz WiFi connected devices seem unable to maintain a stable connection on the network. When not connected they advise there is an authentication issue, but will later connect without issue

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? The Hub's light is Blue. The devices say they can't connect due to authentication issues

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? Merged

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? all wired devices are fine and experience no connection loss. The WiFi based issue is intermitten with periods where the WiFi connection is established and works fine

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] no

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? I haven't been able to check

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.most of our devices on the 5GHz band are android based devices (phones and tablets)

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? No

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. I only use the Hub
mikerl84

Hi, I have been struggling with this issue for a while. It did seem that disconnecting the 5GHz helped but it appears the issue has now returned. It seems a widespread issue. Please can I request a software update which appears to be working for some users here. 

PartyPirate

Just noticed all the people requesting the update. I would have thought that a fix like this would be pushed out to everyone, not just let your customers have to line up and ask for it.

So please sir can I have a working router?