Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
RM79
Dabbler

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

24 hours on and all seems well had a much better/stable 5ghz WiFi signal since having .273 pushed out to me thanks again @bobpullen
AC2

After 11 days on .273 I still have good 5ghz WiFi (and no reboots in between). Thanks @bobpullen

drtodd
Dabbler

@bobpullen Just echoing what you probably know Bob from other posters; the .273 update, installed a week ago, has been rock solid for me. I have kept the 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz channels split over two SSIDs to monitor & running speed tests periodically & have experienced no problems on either. I am aware of the throughput issue here so have subscribed to that thread & report there if the 5Ghz channel starts to misbehave. 

Thanks again for the help; it's made a big difference.

Darren

simoncrnfrth
Dabbler

@bobpullen 

Still no problems to report on the 5Ghz connectivity of the router and its been getting a good work out from my smart tv streaming Netflix😂

I have had the internet drop out and on checking the router the Orange LED was on. Happened again this morning and checking the LOG for Boot had the following

Recorded events
Time and date
( 30.070000) System up, firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.280
10:38:23, 17 Jun.
( 17.530000) System start
( 17.530000) Boot reason: watchdog reset (cause: 0x3)
16:01:02, 16 May.
( 32.080000) System up, firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.280
16:00:48, 16 May.
( 18.070000) System start

What is your take on this?

androidtanmay
Grafter

@bobpullen

Hi Bob, wanted to check if you got a chance to push .280 on my router? I can restart for it to pick up once done.

Regards
Tanmay
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@matjam wrote:

Since then my internet speed has dropped from about 33Mbps to less than 20. I have read that some people are also experiencing reduced throughput and believe that .273 may be to blame, but my speed reduction is affecting all my connections - including laptops connected via ethernet.

Do you think my speed problem is .273 or does that only affect the 5GHz connections?

That'll be unrelated. The issue here doesn't affect wired connections.

@androidtanmay wrote:
Sure let’s go ahead and check. I am ok for a factory reset later for downgrade if needed , otherwise will stay on .280 unless a better firmware is released

That's done. You'll need to reboot. Let me know how it goes.

@ince38 wrote:

Found a soloution for my WIFI 5ghz Speed drops.  I used my old EE box for wifi, connected to Hubone via ethernet and use EE box's wifi, no problems at all.  Should be fine until maybe buy new router,

Have you disabled DHCP on one of the two devices? If not, you'll have two DHCP servers on your network which is bad.

@simoncrnfrth wrote:

I have had the internet drop out and on checking the router the Orange LED was on. Happened again this morning and checking the LOG for Boot had the following

Recorded events
Time and date
( 30.070000) System up, firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.280
( 17.530000) System start 
( 17.530000) Boot reason: watchdog reset (cause: 0x3)
16:01:02, 16 May.
( 32.080000) System up, firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.280
16:00:48, 16 May.
( 18.070000) System start

What is your take on this?

Not great, and if you recall, the bug that was reintroduced with the .280 firmware was one that causes the device to crash/restart (albeit typically where legacy Kindles are on the network). That's exactly what seems to be happening here. It could also be indicative of a hardware fault.

@jcharles90 & @skibuddy - I've sent an update to your devices as requested. You'll need to reboot for the changes to take effect.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Error_404

I am a new customer and have just wasted precious hours checking my settings only to discover I have this problem.

I kept losing my Wi-Fi internet connection on my PCs and had very slow download speeds, I also had a very slow connection to Netflix on both my  TVs...It was so bad that Netflix kept pausing and showing a very badly pixellated picture.

Unfortunately I can't disable the 5GHz network as a temporary fix as the wireless adapter I use for my desktop PC only supports 5GHz connections.

To answer the questions:

1. The first symptom seems to be a slowdown of throughput on the 5GHz channel, followed by difficulty in getting an internet connection (the wi-fi connection is there, but Windows 10 reports Connected - No Internet Access/Action needed/ Can't connect to this Network).

2. The devices seem to be connected fine, but can't see the internet - no issues on the status indicators on the hub, Still BLUE

3. The SSIDs are split and the problems seems to only affect the 5GHz

4.  The problem is persistent and can only be cleared by rebooting the router. We have some devices connected via ethernet to the router and they continue to perform without any issues.

5. There doesn't seem to be any way to trigger the problem that I have found. It will either works for a while when SSID is NOT split, then crashes out, or not work at all.

6. It is sometimes cleared by restarting the router, and typically is fine for around a few hours.

7. The PC seems to be the first device that starts to struggle to actually get an internet connection once connected to the router (even though the phones might go out of range of the router during the day - they'll always reconnect fine and see the internet).

8. No, problem started with the hub straight out of the box.

9. I have a mixture of devices, some connected directly, and some via a Netgear GS03 hub. All devices are as up to date as the manufacturer will allow. The breakdown is as follows:

2.4GHz Network

LG Android 9

Sony TV

Microsoft Surface 6

Asus Latop

My Home Network :       Devices currently connected to your Plusnet Hub:
          5 GHz Wireless:    No devices detected    

Ethernet

NAS Server

WD Cloud Device

Philips HUE Bridge

Sky Q Booster

Any Help / advice is appreciated.

thanks.

Account ID: 00005018815

tihlr
Hooked

Bob ( @bobpullen ),

Unfortunately, after updating to .273 on 10 June I haven’t seen any improvement.

A couple of days on and I disabled the 5 GHz wi-fi on the hub one, hoping that would fix things.

However, all our Apple machines (MacBooks, iPhones) still regularly get disconnected from internet if using wi-fi, whatever wi-fi we use.

Restarting devices and switching wi-fi off and on makes no difference and the only solution is to restart the router after which everything is immediately fine, for a day or so.
A Windows 10 laptop is able to connect with wi-fi (hub one 2.4 GHz) without problem while this is happening, as are any devices using ethernet.

Struggling to see where to go from here.

I'm considering switching off the 2.4 GHz channel too, leaving only our Airport Time Machine wi-fi but feel that it's coming down to replacing the router.

What would you suggest?

androidtanmay
Grafter

@bobpullen

Thanks Bob, have restarted the router and now on .280 will let you know how it goes and if I face any issues and it can be downgraded/upgraded as needed.

Regards
skibuddy

Thanks @bobpullen . I've rebooted and checked. The firmware is updated and no problems so far but will monitor.

AJG4674

Morning, @bobpullen i have been monitoring this issue for well over a year waiting for a fix, so thank you for all the work you have put in.

I am currently running  4.7.5.1.83.8.263 last updated 14/02/19.

I note there is a new firmware release, is it possible to have this pushed to my router please as a relief from this issue just prior to committing to another 18 months would be great!!

Many thanks

mallow1

@bobpullen

By way of encouragement to everyone (!) just to let you know that since you upgraded me to .273 on 02/06/20, apart from one re-boot, I have had no problems at all.  Will continue to monitor and see what happens in the long run

RM79
Dabbler

It's more in progress "beta" firmware (correct me if I'm wrong @bobpullen) but since I had .273 pushed out to my router things seem to be rock solid (fingers crossed) no 5ghz drop outs and signal (strength and speed) seems to be better on devices using 5ghz throughout the whole house now 😁
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@tihlr wrote:

Unfortunately, after updating to .273 on 10 June I haven’t seen any improvement.

A couple of days on and I disabled the 5 GHz wi-fi on the hub one, hoping that would fix things.

However, all our Apple machines (MacBooks, iPhones) still regularly get disconnected from internet if using wi-fi, whatever wi-fi we use.

Restarting devices and switching wi-fi off and on makes no difference and the only solution is to restart the router after which everything is immediately fine, for a day or so.
A Windows 10 laptop is able to connect with wi-fi (hub one 2.4 GHz) without problem while this is happening, as are any devices using ethernet.Struggling to see where to go from here.

I'm considering switching off the 2.4 GHz channel too, leaving only our Airport Time Machine wi-fi but feel that it's coming down to replacing the router.

What would you suggest?

Frustrating. The presence of a second access point in terms of the time capsule is definitely muddying the waters here. Is it broadcasting on the same SSID/acting as an extender? If so, I can't see that helping, especially knowing how finicky Apple devices can be where Wi-Fi is concerned.

Separating the SSID's or relying solely on one of the two access points might yield some success. I think the time capsules are essentially end of life/out of support these days though aren't they, so perhaps looking at a different mesh/extender solution might be the best option Huh

Whatever the weather, it seems like your circumstances are different to the majority of others reported in this thread.

@Error_404 & @AJG4674 - the update has been pushed to both of your routers. You'll need to reboot to apply it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

hurdygurdy

Hi @bobpullen 

I'm having terrible problems with the 5ghz band on my router.

I split them ages ago, the 2.4 side works perfectly, the 5ghz is becoming more problematic day by day. 

Sometimes disabling/re-enabling it in settings works but generally I have to reset the router to get it back up & running again.

Any chance you could push me the latest firmware to try please?

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 19/02/19