Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
s7eveyorkshire
Dabbler

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

From exoerience then for some reason doung like for like tests on apple devices mainly macs+phones or macs and ipads... noticing upto 20mb speed difference (in favour of the 2.4ghz wifi) so definately issues with conpatability for some reason... have a bthub 5 im setting up to send to a friend to swap the hub one for to try ... please remember when you split the bands too 2.4/5 then the 5ghz will drop off after a short distance so only any good for fixed placed devices...tv"s etc close to the router Sad please dont add phones and tablets to it as it wont be great
RM79
Dabbler

(please remember when you split the bands too 2.4/5 then the 5ghz will drop off after a short distance so only any good for fixed placed devices..)
hence why I am not really in favour of splitting the band's. The distances I get without them split are more than adequate.... Just fed up of losing the 5ghz all together.
s7eveyorkshire
Dabbler

But thats when it causes the issues as the 2.4 ia stromger +10 or 15feet and then decives...mainly apple...freeze/white screem/drop conmection cos they wont aito switch when not split
RM79
Dabbler

From the replies on here hopefully the new firmware will resolve the issue, if I can get it? @bobpullen
silkenwhisper

Hi,

I have had this problem since I first joined in July 2019. Was logging in to actually move broadband providers when I saw there was a possible fix.

1. Exactly as described in the original post. Authentication errors, intermittently lose the ability to connect to the Wi-Fi network at all and remain connected to the Wi-Fi network but report 'No Internet access' whilst other devices remain connected.
  2. Hub shows normal connection. Desktop computer shows connection to router, but no internet access or authentication error.

3. I had the router set up as default originally, but then saw one other post where they were recommended to unsync 5Ghz, however I did not turn 5ghz off completely (this is now turned off as I spoke to tech support who recommended I switch this off.

4. I don't have anything wired into the router, and yes with 5ghz synced the problem was persistent across the same devices.

5. This problem would just continually pop up when using certain devices.

6. As above I haven't had this issue since I unsynced 5ghz. I can't recall if rebooting the router worked.

7. Switch, Samsung Galaxy S7, Desktop Windows 7, LG smart TV (possibly more but I can't recall)

8. No.

9. I use router that was provided. Switch and LG smart TV are in same room as router on wireless. Desktop is upstairs, but across the house, and I never had any connection problems on previous networks - using same wireless router as before. Samsung S7 would experience problems even in the same room as router.

I see that a new firmware has come out that fixes the router. I was logging on today to find a new broadband company since my 1 year is almost up, but if there is a fix available then please can this new firmware update be sent to my router? @bobpullen 

Many Thanks

RJ123

Hi Bob,

I am having issues with the 5Ghz WiFi channel password as you have mentioned in your original post.

I will answer your questions below:

1. 5Ghz WiFi network says incorrect password, double and triple checked the password in my router settings and it’s definitely correct. It has happened a few times now.

2. Yes as I can connect to the 2.4Ghz network fine, light indicator on the hub one is blue.

3. I have them split as I find the connection gets flaky while I’m in bed if they are synced as it’s quite far, through walls etc. I find splitting them makes the distance issues more manageable (still not the best though a topic for another time) It only affects the 5Ghz network.

4. I haven’t left it for longer than a day before doing a quick fix in the form of either a factory reset, resyncing the networks then splitting them again or changing the password on the 5Ghz network so I am not sure if it is persistent in the long term. I have a TV and PS4 wired into the router and they are working fine.

5. Not that I know of

6. It varies, it happened a few months ago and I synced the networks then unsynced them and it fixed it. Then a few days ago it happened again, I tried a factory reset and it fixed the issue but a day or two later the problem returned. This time I changed the password on the 5Ghz network and again, it fixed the issue but a day or two later it returned.

7. It stops working on iPhone 7 software version 12.3.1. iPhone 8 Plus software version 13.5.1. Lenovo E560 laptop, Windows 10 Pro 10.0.16299 build 16299.
Samsung A520F software version A520FXXUDCTB1

8. iPhone 7 hasn’t been updated in a while (not sure how long ago) iPhone 8 was updated yesterday, Samsung was updated today.

9. Standard network, no extra equipment used. No other devices except the ones mentioned in this post.

I see posts about a new software update for the hub one, version 273? I’m still sat on 263 would it be possible to get this update pushed through? Hopefully a permanent solution is found soon as I don’t want to have to keep doing the quick fixes just to get normal WiFi back.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@androidtanmay wrote:

I was on .273 for last few weeks without any 5GHz issue but faced the throughput going down after sometime. Could you please possibly push .280 on this one so that i can see if it is any better and resolve the throughput + 5 Ghz issue of .263.

I'm fairly confident that .280 won't resolve the throughput issue, however I'd be happy to move you to it mainly based on the fact that @simoncrnfrth reports that it's been trouble-free from a 5GHz connectivity perspective. Interested to see if somebody else is able to corroborate.

The only issue with this approach is that a subsequent downgrade to .273 (if required) will factory reset your device. If you're happy to accept this as a risk though, then willing to give it a shot. Let me know.

@ince38 wrote:

Have been with Plustnet for a week and have noticed that my wifi connection drops to 20mbs and have to restart the router to get back to 70mbs.

That's not what this thread is about. The throughout decline is being treated as a separate issue and is being discussed over here. As yet, there's no known fix other than to restart the router Sad

@musicalian @RM79 @robertsonhome @silkenwhisper & @RJ123 - I've pushed an update to your respective routers. You'll all need to reboot at your convenience to apply it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

matjam

@bobpullen Quick question.  You moved me onto the .273 firmware about a month ago and since then my main PC has not had any problems connecting to the router when it wakes up - thank you very much for that.

However, I had to report a problem with my phone line shortly afterwards, there was noise and crossed lines etc.

The OpenReach engineer moved me onto another pair within the street cable but it requires a dig to fix completely.

Since then my internet speed has dropped from about 33Mbps to less than 20. I have read that some people are also experiencing reduced throughput and believe that .273 may be to blame, but my speed reduction is affecting all my connections - including laptops connected via ethernet.

Do you think my speed problem is .273 or does that only affect the 5GHz connections?

Thanks,

Matt

RJ123

Thank-you, router is now on 273. I will update on here if the issue persists. Hopefully I don’t get the throughput issues people are posting about.
RM79
Dabbler

@bobpullen thanks very much I will reboot later this evening and report back 👍
androidtanmay
Grafter

@bobpullen

Hi Bob,
Sure let’s go ahead and check. I am ok for a factory reset later for downgrade if needed , otherwise will stay on .280 unless a better firmware is released

Regards
Tanmay
RM79
Dabbler

I have reset and can confirm my router is now on .273 so will keep an eye on things and report back
ince38

Found a soloution for my WIFI 5ghz Speed drops.  I used my old EE box for wifi, connected to Hubone via ethernet and use EE box's wifi, no problems at all.  Should be fine until maybe buy new router,

jcharles90

Hi @bobpullen

I've been having a lot of 5ghz disconnection issues recently, with my router running on firmware .263. Could I possibly get the latest version, as it seems to solve it?

Many thanks 

skibuddy

Hi @bobpullen

Sorry to echo the last comment but I've also been having multiple 5Ghz disconnect and speed issues. My router is also running firmware .263.

Can you also push the firmware update to me that potentially resolves this?

Many thanks