Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
JDM1
Hooked

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Hi Bob. Yes I can always connect to the .254 my hub in page. So just like now I can’t see my device on the my hub list but iPhone shows connected and I have no response. At the same time my laptop and tv etc are all working correctly. The problem seems to only affect my 3 apple iphones.
sullys666
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@bobpullen  A week after update and everything seems fine so far with the updated firmware.

Starchaser75

Hello @bobpullen  I hope this is the right place to post as I am new here, we have been having big problems with our 5ghz for a while now, and its getting very frustrating. Infact this is my 3rd attempt to post this as the signal kept dropping out. We have to restart the hub each time but it doesn't help for long. If we could get the update we would be very grateful. 

zena
Dabbler

things definitely seem to be working better since the update. i even managed to take a video call further than 3 meters from the router! 

dablondi
Dabbler

@bobpullen VMT. Rebooted this morning and firmware update now showing:

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.273 | Last updated 11/06/20

tihlr
Hooked

@bobpullen I rebooted our router on Wednesday evening (10 Jun) and our Hub One is now on Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.273.

I also re-enabled the 5 GHz option. 

Things were okay until this morning (12 Jun) when two MacBook Pros asked for the 5 GHz password but won't accept it. These are running macOS 10.11.6 and 10.13.6. Switching wifi off then on and also rebooting these macs made no difference, as did disabling and enabling 5 GHz on the Hub One. I'm unable to reboot the router just now as it's in constant use for work at the moment.

A newer MacBook Pro (macOS 10.14.6) was also asked for the password but is able to join, as are iPhones.

This is definitely an improvement. The problem with 5 GHz doesn't take down all the other wifi options now (Airport Time Capsule 5 and 2.4 GHz, Hub One 2.4 GHz) and we can use those on phones and laptops to connect to the internet, unlike before when we had to reboot the router to get any wifi connections to the internet.

However, speeds are not great on the Hub One 5 GHz.

On my iPhone, a 'Speedtest' app reports download speeds of around 65 to 75 Mbps when on our Airport Time Capsule 5 GHz wifi network but only around 20 Mbps on the Hub One 5 GHz. Another app, 'Wi-Fi Sweetspots', even reports figures around 240 Mbps for Airport 5 GHz but under 37 for Hub One 5 GHz. The Hub One 2.4 GHz figures are similarly lower than for the Time Capsule, though now quite as low.

I'm considering using the Zyxel router instead of the Hub One, which we got when we were with John Lewis Broadband before switching to Plusnet, and which always worked fine.

Open to suggestions, either on here or privately.

Let me know.

Thanks.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@JDM1 wrote:
Hi Bob. Yes I can always connect to the .254 my hub in page. So just like now I can’t see my device on the my hub list but iPhone shows connected and I have no response. At the same time my laptop and tv etc are all working correctly. The problem seems to only affect my 3 apple iphones.

Hmm, seems something else is at play then. If the issue were one of physical Wi-Fi connectivity (which the problem being discussed is), then I'd not expect you to be able to reach the hub configuration pages from an affected device whilst the problem was evident Huh

If you want to drop me a message privately then there are avenues that it might be worth us exploring. Certainly in terms of further diagnostics and the network map.

@Starchaser75 & @annebyrne - update sent. You'll need to reboot your hubs to apply it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@tihlr wrote:

@bobpullen I rebooted our router on Wednesday evening (10 Jun) and our Hub One is now on Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.273.

I also re-enabled the 5 GHz option. 

Things were okay until this morning (12 Jun) when two MacBook Pros asked for the 5 GHz password but won't accept it. These are running macOS 10.11.6 and 10.13.6. Switching wifi off then on and also rebooting these macs made no difference, as did disabling and enabling 5 GHz on the Hub One. I'm unable to reboot the router just now as it's in constant use for work at the moment.

Definitely worth completely clearing the saved Wi-Fi connections from the Macs, rebooting and re-associating them. We have others using MacOS devices, albeit different OS versions. If this condition continues then do let me know.

However, speeds are not great on the Hub One 5 GHz.

On my iPhone, a 'Speedtest' app reports download speeds of around 65 to 75 Mbps when on our Airport Time Capsule 5 GHz wifi network but only around 20 Mbps on the Hub One 5 GHz. Another app, 'Wi-Fi Sweetspots', even reports figures around 240 Mbps for Airport 5 GHz but under 37 for Hub One 5 GHz. The Hub One 2.4 GHz figures are similarly lower than for the Time Capsule, though now quite as low.

Sounds like that's probably related to this.

I'm considering using the Zyxel router instead of the Hub One, which we got when we were with John Lewis Broadband before switching to Plusnet, and which always worked fine.

If you do decide to take this route then message me the serial number and MAC of the router and I'll associate it with your Plusnet account to ensure it's maintained.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

annebyrne

Worked like a charm! Thank you so much Smiley 

tihlr
Hooked

Bob, I cleared the Wi-Fi connections from the troubled MacBooks and rebooted, but neither device could get the wifi password accepted. Only a router reboot worked. The older of the two macs could access the hub one 5 GHz straight-away, but oddly the newer of the two macs couldn't log on to any of our wifi networks, and required a reboot itself, then everything connected okay, passwords accepted.

musicalian

Hi, also seem to be having this issue. Tried toggling the 5ghz on/off and setting it up with a separate SSID but no luck. Resetting router did fix it, but seems to be a temporary solution. 

Router is on firmware version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 but I gather there's a newer version now which may help resolve the issue, how can I get this pushed to me?

RM79
Dabbler

Currently suffering from the 5ghz hub one issues, my router is running software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263. anything connected by ethernet or 2.4ghz is fine and still has internet connection but anything using the 5ghz is left with no internet. Resetting the router resolves the issue but can be annoying due to other people still using the internet not being in a position to loose connection at that time. Any chance of the beta software being put on my router?
robertsonhome

Hi Bob,

Could you push the update out for me too please?

Wifi issues improved a bit after I separated out the 5GHz SSID but it is still problematic.

Thanks!

androidtanmay
Grafter

@bobpullen 

Hi Bob, my router on which you had pushed .273 has been changed due to a fault and i have got another router now which is again on .263 firmware.

I was on .273 for last few weeks without any 5GHz issue but faced the throughput going down after sometime. Could you please possibly push .280 on this one so that i can see if it is any better and resolve the throughput + 5 Ghz issue of .263. If not would request to push .273 again to this router so that i can at-least not have the 5GHz issue.

Thanks again for the support

ince38

Dear Admins can you update my router as well to latest? 

Have been with Plustnet for a week and have noticed that my wifi connection drops to 20mbs and have to restart the router to get back to 70mbs.

I am currently on Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated Unknown

Thanks