Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
keeps54
Grafter

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Been having issues with 5GHz connections for a few days and some googling has led me to this thread. My router is running the 263 firmware. Have only had the router a few months after using the Netgear I was sent well over 5 years ago when I joined the FTTP trial in Milton Keynes.

Was sent the new router as a sort of compensation for my account being inexplicably closed for no apparent reason and having to set up a completely new account but that's a whole different story!

Having been on the FTTP trial for years and had no problems it has been a nightmare few months with the disconnection, account being locked out for non payment when no payment wasa due and now this issue.

CityFibre and Vodafone have just laid a fibre cable down our street and will be offering 500Mbps up and down for £38 a month including line rental which will start to look very appealing if I keep having issues.

I haven't read every page of this thread but it seems a new firmware has been released although mixed reports of success with it. Can I try it please?

SCam
Hooked

@paul_edwin I would imagine doing that just means the issue raises itself less often. It feels like a other bodge if I'm honest.
paul_edwin
Grafter

@SCam wrote:
@paul_edwin I would imagine doing that just means the issue raises itself less often. It feels like a other bodge if I'm honest.

More of a mitigation than a bodge, perhaps 😏

If it reduces the frequency of the problem to once every few weeks, I can put up with that for a little while as long as I know they're working on a full resolution.

drtodd
Dabbler

Thanks @bobpullen  - I have tried a couple of reboots in last few days but still on .263 - I see the TR09 router events happening but nothing to indicate a firmware download. Would you be able to check your hardware management platform on this? let me know if there's anything else you need from me. 

Best,

Darren

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@5Gquestion @tihlr & @keeps54 - An update has been pushed to your devices. You'll need to reboot the router to apply it.

@SCam wrote:

Well. I've been running .273 since 18/4/20 and I think it's fair to say the issue is not resolved. Devices connected to 5GHz (most noticeably my phone) disconnect once every few days.

Perhaps not your individual issue but let's not ignore the fact that we've now well over 100 customers on the mitigation firmware, with the majority reporting success. I can see you have since disabled the 5GHz radio, but I'm assuming your symptoms are not the strictly the same as others anyway, based on the fact that your router doesn't look to have been rebooted in at least ~2 weeks? The symptom we've been tracking most closely is the complete inability for devices to connect/route traffic across the  5GHz network, something that is only corrected with a reboot. If your devices connect/drop intermittently without the router being touched, then it doesn't quite fit the mould.

Feels like sometimes the bandwidth drops too as per the posts above.

As commented on previously, this is being discussed elsewhere.

@JDM1 wrote:
My success with .273 has only lasted 1 day and now I have the same issues. Going to try the DHCP set to 21 now to see if that works! Agree with previous posters - this is not good enough plusnet!!!

What issue exactly? Did everything drop off the 5GHz network and you were unable to reconnect devices until the router was rebooted? Your Internet connection has dropped 13 times during the last week. Was every one of these due to you rebooting your router? If not, then there's possibly a problem with your underlying Internet connection which will be nothing to do with the Wi-Fi.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@drtodd wrote:

Thanks @bobpullen  - I have tried a couple of reboots in last few days but still on .263 - I see the TR09 router events happening but nothing to indicate a firmware download. Would you be able to check your hardware management platform on this? let me know if there's anything else you need from me. 

Apologies Darren, try again now.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

drtodd
Dabbler

Perfect @bobpullen see it's pulled it down now.

For anyone else who's wondering; you can see your router checking in on the management platform under Router >Troubleshooting > Event Log > from dropdown "Category" select "TR069" fo clarity - you will see your router checking in a few times a day using CWMP but for a firmware update event you want to see something like this:

CWMP: Session start now. Event code(s): '7 TRANSFER COMPLETE,M Download,4 VALUE CHANGE'
CWMP: Initializing transaction for event code M Download transfer completed successfully
CWMP: Download status=OK
CWMP: session completed successfully
CWMP: Download file, FileType=1, FileName=bt_prod_secured.enc.rms, Username=, CommandKey=36888409
CWMP: HTTP authentication success from https://dbtpnhdm.bt.mo
CWMP: Server URL: https://dbtpnhdm.bt.mo; Connecting as user: ACS username
CWMP:Session start now. Event code(s): '6 CONNECTION REQUEST,4 VALUE CHANGE'
CWMP: Initializing transaction for event code 6 CONNECTION REQUEST

And after this your footer text showing "Last updated" will have changed to the current date.

Thanks again, off to schedule a reboot of the router with the family.. (could be the trickiest part here..) and hopefully see 5GHz channel behaving ! 

Darren

JDM1
Hooked

Hi Bob. The issue is basically the iPhone says it’s connected to the WiFi but there is no response from the router. If I switch to 4G I get instant response. This can happen on both the 2.4 and 5ghz channels. I have noticed however that sometimes I am getting a WiFi response however my iPhone dies not show on the my hub home network at all but it is working.

In terms of the 13 reboots this was probably me trying out different locations for the router and reboots.

Thanks
keeps54
Grafter

Thanks @bobpullen 

Router updated. I'll advise if I see any further issues

Hfcsteve

@bobpullen Hi, I've been experiencing this issue for some time now and have only found this thread today. Can you push the firmware for me too please? Currently on 4.7.5.1.83.8.263. Thanks.
dablondi
Dabbler

@bobpullen Hi, I've been experiencing this issue for some time now and have only recently found this thread. Can you push the firmware for me too please? Currently on 4.7.5.1.83.8.263. Thanks.

cappy1961
Dabbler

@bobpullen Hi, I've been experiencing this issue for some time now and have only recently found this thread. Can you push the firmware for me too please? Currently on 4.7.5.1.83.8.263. Thanks.

hairybakedbean

@bobpullen all appears good after nearly a week, both 2.5Ghz and 5Ghz up and running! Thanks

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@JDM1 wrote:
Hi Bob. The issue is basically the iPhone says it’s connected to the WiFi but there is no response from the router. If I switch to 4G I get instant response. This can happen on both the 2.4 and 5ghz channels. I have noticed however that sometimes I am getting a WiFi response however my iPhone dies not show on the my hub home network at all but it is working. 

Thanks. Can you reach the router interface at http://192.168.1.254 when things become non-responsive? The missing network devices is something we've looked at previously and we have a proposed fix in the wings. It'll not see the light of day until some of the Wi-Fi issues are addressed mind you.

@Hfcsteve @dablondi & @cappy1961 - the update has been pushed to your devices. You'll need to reboot in order to apply it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

annebyrne

@bobpullen just found this thread, I have been having these problems since I switched to Plusnet back in March. Could you please push the firmware update to my router please? I checked the router event log and can't find evidence of it pulling down a firmware update since you first mentioned it in this thread.

Thanks!