Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 2 router constantly restarts

FIXED
mrben
Dabbler

Hub 2 router constantly restarts

Hi All,

I’m wondering if someone can help me please.

Two weeks ago I ordered a new Hub 2 router. It worked fine for 2 hours then rebooted. The light changed to green and the router began the process of starting up as if the power had been switched off. I’d get 10 mins of connection then it would do the same - back to green, over and over. Customer services sent me a replacement but after 1 hour it did the same. I’m now onto my 2nd replacement (3rd router) which to be fair lasted about 12 hours before the same issue began.

The power supply I’m on is stable and runs other devices fine with no power issues (it’s all existing and working ok). My line has been in place for many years and recently tested by Openreach and is very stable with a brand new master socket. I have another branded router which I don’t like much but it works as expected with no power or rebooting issues.

Am I just unlucky to get 3 faulty routers or is there something else going on here? Perhaps a faulty batch?

Many thanks in advance.

Ben

28 REPLIES 28
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Hub 2 router constantly restarts

fwiw, is the Hub located in a well ventilated room, or stuck inside a warm cupboard?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
mrben
Dabbler

On a table on the landing. Not in a cupboard. Plenty of ventilation.
The non-Plusnet router is in the same position and is fine (its wireless capabilities aren’t great).
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@mrben 

It’s a long shot but log in to. the Hub Advanced/Broadband page and check that it shows the username as <yourusername>@plusdsl.net. Also try re-entering your password and Save.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

mrben
Dabbler

Thanks for helping.

I’ve logged in and can see my username is fine.

I can’t change my password as it says it’s not required for fibre broadband users - it gives me no option.

What I have done is to plug the router into an extension lead connected to another power circuit in the house. I said in my original post that I believe there’s no power issue as another device is connected to the same socket and it seems fine. But that doesn’t rule out the possibility of minor voltage fluctuations.

I’ll report back my findings.

mrben
Dabbler

Ok, I tried using power from a different house circuit and the same thing happened. I got 41 mins use before the router powered itself back up. I’ve returned to using my other router which is rock solid.

3 Plusnet routers all doing the same thing.

I can only think there is a bad batch. Either that or something keeps telling the Plusnet router to re-boot from scratch. Or there’s a whole house voltage issue which is unlikely considering everything is working fine (other devices with clocks are not re-setting too).

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@mrben  is there any indication in the Event log as to why the reboots are happening ?

The logs are found under 'Event Log' in the Technical detail under Advanced Settings

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

@mrben 

If you log into the Hub Advanced Settings/Technical Log/Event Log and copy and paste the page(s) showing a disconnection, then this might give those who are 'skilled in interpretihg these things' a clue as to what is happening.

Edit

@MisterW got there first!

Moderator and Customer

mrben
Dabbler

Just before I got up this morning. No users online.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@mrben thanks. Definitely looks like power cycle rather than a software crash.

I can't see 3 routers having the same fault. If there was a bad batch, I'd have thought we'd be seeing more reports here.

Any thoughts @bobpullen ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

@mrben 

What does Page 70 tell you? Does it give the reasom for the reboot, something like down after xxx minutes and a reason? The 'system start button press' is something that I have neve seen on mine.

When you have changed the hubs have you also been changing the power supply plug/cable?

Moderator and Customer

mrben
Dabbler

This is the re-boot it did a few minutes ago after about 20 mins of connection. No one is touching the router.

To answer another question - yes, I’ve been changing the power cables although I didn’t for the 3rd router. I can try that now.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The 'system start button press' is something that I have neve seen on mine.

There's one or two instances reported on the BT forums relating to the BT Smart Hub

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/Smart-Hub-2-reboots-every-30-minutes-or-so/td-p/2102232

https://community.bt.com/t5/Archive-Staging/System-start-Button-press-PowerButton-Is-Still-Happening...

Not sure there's any reliable conclusion there though...

mrben
Dabbler

I tried the power adapter which came with the 3rd router. It lasted 10 mins before a re-boot.

mrben
Dabbler

I will ask a question which you experts may laugh at but I’m happy to be the comedian here.

My router is connected to a switch connecting multiple ethernet cable to various rooms. Several computers, TVs, xBox etc etc.

Could any of those devices tell the router to restart via the LAN cable between router and switch? 

In the meantime, I’ve disconnected all LAN outputs and will use the Plusnet as a stand-alone wireless device and see if it remains stable.