cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable DNS Rebinding Protection?

jimmy90
Hooked

How to disable DNS Rebinding Protection?

Hi everyone, 

I've been trying to configure remote access to my server as detailed here:
https://wiki.unraid.net/My_Servers

However when I try to generate a certificate I get an error. Now unraid helpfully talks about this error and it can be overcome by disabling DNS rebinding protection on the router but I have found no setting like this on my router. The full spiel from unraid is below:

Many routers have a security feature known as DNS Rebinding Protection. This feature prevents public DNS entries from pointing to local IP addresses on your network. Unfortunately, this feature prevents us from providing proper SSL access when connecting to the webGui locally. As such, users must either disable this feature on their router or set their router to allow DNS rebinding for the unraid.net domain. Depending on your router, how this feature is described and whether or not it is available to configure may vary. In addition, once you have DNS rebinding disabled on your router, when you go to provision your certificate, you may still see the DNS rebinding error message the first time. This is due to the time it takes for DNS records to propagate once provisioned.

Can anyone help with this issue?

2 REPLIES 2
greySquirrel

Re: How to disable DNS Rebinding Protection?

I would advise against enabling any remote access on UNRAID. Use a VPN. Lots of guides showing you how to setup OpenVPN

I have just moved to plusnet and have had not issue renewing my cert for internal encryption.
greySquirrel

Re: How to disable DNS Rebinding Protection?

@jimmy90

I was problem shooting another issue but it looks like the Rebinding protection is a DNS level not the Hub.

Set you server to use 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 for its Domain Name Servers then try again.

Note you will be unable to access your webgui on other machines unless you manually configure there DNS servers to public ones.

I personally use 1.1.1.1 (1.0.0.1 as a secondary)

I stumbled across this as I have been having DNS resolution issues with the plusnet hub so had manually configured most of my devices. They have since pushed a new firmware to my hub so I reverted everything back to auto but was unable to access the web GUI.