cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I limit connected devices' speeds on Plusnet Hub One

Rehanster
Hooked

Re: How do I limit connected devices' speeds on Plusnet Hub One

@bill888 Thanks for all your help and support on this issue. I guess if there is no simple solution other than changing the router, for now I will live with the gripe that others have equal access to the internet (even-though they don't use it efficiently). In reference to my original problem... the improved speed hasn't enriched my life all that much. I basically want good internet access when I'm working. As I am not an internet data intensive user, when others were hogging the internet, my work was largely unaffected. However, if I were streaming CNN through the internet, I would get poor quality when we are all using the internet. If I were to compare my streaming experience before and after the speed improvements... I'd say they are largely the same and I can barely tell the difference.

I look forward to the day I get an updated internet service... for free!

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Just a thought, but using CNN streaming as an example, is this over a wired or wireless connection ?

Wired is always more reliable than wireless.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Rehanster
Hooked

I stream CNN on a TV Player app on the Amazon Firestick. I stream wirelessly. Also, I do not connect directly to the router. Unfortunately, my bedroom must have been built as a bunker and there must be some kind of metal lining in the walls.... it's the only room in the house where WiFi signal is basically non-existent. So I use a WiFi extender positioned just outside my bedroom, in the upstairs landing/hall; which, when I take two steps out of my bedroom and go into, my phone has 'Excellent' signal: but as soon as I take two steps back and close the door to my bedroom, it drops between poor and searching for an entirely new WAP. 

All this leads me to predict that you think the wireless upon wireless connectivity may be the reason I experience slower internet. Agreed this is theoretically true, however, I genuinely don't believe it is the root cause in my case because steaming on the TV Player app at optimum speed probably only gives a video of about 480p (if that). But when my sister, next door, is watching ShowBox, it drops to about 10.3p! However, I can normally still close CNN and go onto YouTube and stream a 720p video with barely any lag at all. I think this is mostly to do with the fact that YouTube pumps out its data like the biggest monster on the web, whereas the TV Player app is cheap and cheerful and doesn't host as good a service.

So what I'm trying to say is that I don't really have an internet problem at all... I just want to be in control of the internet and make it dis-pleasurable to my fellow cohabitors to spend 14 hours a day in bed, watching american soaps.