cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with plusnet router two and google nest wifi

Mejisan
Hooked

Help with plusnet router two and google nest wifi

I have had a plusnet one hub for ages, connected WAN to WAN to my google nest wifi which then bounces Internet around the house via a series of Google wifi points (on a mesh network).

Today I got a new plusnet hub (the Two model). Connected everything in exactly the same way (Wan on hub to wan on Google wifi) and it doesn't work.

Google doesn't seem to recieve the Internet from the hub. The Google wifi setup says something about wan connection not working.

Weirdly, if I just plug the ethernet cable into one of the other plusnet hub ports (and other end still in Google wifis wan socket) it gets Internet fine.

Any idea why ? Or how I can fix?

Will Internet be slower this way ?
26 REPLIES 26
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Help with plusnet router two and google nest wifi

You should be using the Lan pier on the PN hubs. 
I think it was a bit of a fluke you got it working on the HUb1.

Mejisan
Hooked

Hi thanks for your reply. Can you expand a bit on your answer? What's a lan pier and how do I set one up?

Is there be any disadvantaged to having it connected as I do currently (wan on Google wifi to normal ethernet socket on router rather than wan socket)
Mustrum
Community Veteran

Lan port - it was just a typo.

Wan ports are meant to be import ports, ie they expect a signal in from a modem or similar. So connecting two together makes no sense, I expect the HUb1 admin log would have been full of errors.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

@Mustrum, off the top of my heard (and I could be totally misremembering this, so apologies if I'm wrong), but I think on the Hub One, the WAN port could also be a LAN port, possibly depending on configuration.  @bobpullen is the guy to set that straight though.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@pjmarsh - you're mistaken. The Hub One has four LAN ports and a dedicated WAN port. I'm at a bit of a loss to explain quite how a WAN > WAN connection was working previously for the OP Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Thanks @bobpullen.  It's been a while since I looked at the Hub One

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@pjmarsh   I suspect you were thinking of a BT HH6, or EE Smart Hub, where the WAN port could be reconfigured, I believe.

Anyway back on topic, @Mejisan  if your Google Nest has the option to connect via PPOE, a better solution would be to use the Smart Hub in modem mode.

Mejisan
Hooked

Whats the advantage of pppoe over just having it as I have currently (Google wan to plusnet lan) ?

I did try pppoe when I was trying to get wan to wan to work, but it never seemed to accept the login details.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Mejisan wrote:
Is there be any disadvantaged to having it connected as I do currently (wan on Google wifi to normal ethernet socket on router rather than wan socket)

You should never have connected WAN to WAN.

Leaving it as you now have it configured leaves the set up double NATing, which can cause problems.

For correct configuration you need to set the Hub 2 to Bridge mode and enter your plusnet log in details in to your mesh router.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mejisan
Hooked

Thanks.

For the login details, is it the same login details I use to login to my account on the plusnet website? Do I use the @plusdsl.net adress or my normal email address?
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Mejisan 

It's your account username@plusdsl.net  as in FredBlogs@plusdsl.net and your account password NOT your email address.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Matt15
Hooked

Hi Baldrick1,

I am having the same issue when connecting the plusnet 2 router to google nest wifi pro.

I have gone onto the admin settings, enabled bridge mode, restarted the router, plugged in the google nest wifi pro and then started the set up on the google app. But each time it says it cannot connect and the plusnet hub 2 is not sending wifi to the google nest wifi pro.

You mentioned:

"For correct configuration you need to set the Hub 2 to Bridge mode and enter your plusnet log in details in to your mesh router." What do you mean by this please?

Thanks!

Matt15
Hooked

Hi Mejisan,

Have you had any update on if your plusnet hub works with your google wifi? I am having a similar issue with the plusnet hub not connecting to my google nest wifi (pro).

Thanks. 

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

But each time it says it cannot connect and the plusnet hub 2 is not sending wifi to the google nest wifi pro

When a Hub Two is in bridge mode the WiFi is turned off, you need to make a wired connection between the Hub Two and Google Nest

HTH