cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Setting up TP-Link AC1200 (Archer VR400) Wireless Dual Band VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

FIXED
skippywkd1
Hooked

Help Setting up TP-Link AC1200 (Archer VR400) Wireless Dual Band VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

Hi All,

I have been trying to setup my new TP-Link AC1200 (Archer VR400) Wireless Dual Band VDSL/ADSL Modem Router for use via ADSL using the smart setup with the below information:

VPI 0
VCI 38
PPPoA
Then my username and password for plusnet.

But it will not connect what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance Smiley

16 REPLIES 16
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Help Setting up TP-Link AC1200 (Archer VR400) Wireless Dual Band VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

Have you got the @plusdsl.net after your username

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

skippywkd1
Hooked

Re: Help Setting up TP-Link AC1200 (Archer VR400) Wireless Dual Band VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

yes i do

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

What's the state of the dsl and internet leds on the router ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

skippywkd1
Hooked

there all new im upgrading due to wifi drop outs phone line been checked by plusnet and has no issues and recommended new router and got this one yesterday.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You misunderstood what I was aking.

On the router front panel , there are some leds. One is labelled  DSL  and another is labelled Internet 

Are each of those on , off or flashing ? 

The state of those will help diagnose where the problem might be

skippywkd1
Hooked

ahh sorry miss read only LEDS that are on are 2.5 and 5GHz wireless, both DSL and internet are off

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Aah! the fact that the DSL led is off means that we haven't got dsl sync with the exchange.

Did you use the quick setup option and select Plusnet_adsl from the list of ISPs or did you use the manual setup ?

I assume you've connected the DSL port on the VR400 to the phone line in exactly the same way as your existing router was connected ? (what was the existing router BTW )

Did you use the existing cable or the one that came with the vr400 ?

skippywkd1
Hooked

yes connected same way using cables that were there and used quick setup

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Clutching at straws here, but can you try connecting using the dsl cable that came with the VR400

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@skippywkd1 

I would temporarily plug the old router back in to check if the DSL line is down, causing your problem.

It's also worth double checking your Plusnet user name and password by using then to log into your Plusnet account.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

skippywkd1
Hooked

Reset the router and got the DSL light on and imputed all the information again but now as soon as it to starts to checks details and connect the DSL goes back off and will not connect.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@skippywkd1 

Have you got the Multiplexing Method set correctly, it should be either VC Based, VCMUX or VC-Multiplexing?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

have been trying to setup my new TP-Link AC1200 (Archer VR400) Wireless Dual Band VDSL/ADSL Modem Router for use via ADSL

Reset the router and got the DSL light on and imputed all the information again but now as soon as it to starts to checks details and connect the DSL goes back off and will not connect.

@skippywkd1  are you sure you're on an ADSL product and not a Fibre one ?

It sounds like the router is auto-detecting a Fibre(VDSL) connection when its reset and then you're trying to overwrite and force an ADSL one.

dadinthesouth

Hi - I have a different TP-link from yours but the problem sounds exactly the same.  The TO-link worked with my previous router, I upgraded to fibre with a new hub in April, it hasn't worked since - connects to WIFI but no internet.  I have contacted TP-link, reset their device, tried everything several times - it is not going to work.  I suspect there is a compatibility issue, which is not resolvable with the new routers from PlusNet.  Not PlusNet's fault, I would suggest - but I am going to ask if PlusNet can suggest a range extender which we know will work.

Sorry not to have any good news or suggestions.  If you do get the TP-link to work, please do share how you managed to do it.  Good luck!