cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having to switch between 2.4GHz and 5GHz

cyman1964uk

Having to switch between 2.4GHz and 5GHz

Hi there,

I use syncing software Goodsync to ensure the contents of a folder on one of my laptops is in sync with another folder on another laptop.  That is, I used to do it until now, when it seems that both laptops need to be on the same frequency band (i.e. both on 2.4GHz or both on 5GHz).  This is a pain in the ass considering that my household has a large number of devices all using my router (Plusnet Hub One) simultaneously and I have a number of syncs I wish to maintain across various combinations of them.  Of course, whenever the router reboots, a laptop reboots, a laptop loses and then regains its connection ... etc, etc, etc, ... said device can pick up the 2.4GHz or the 5GHz signal pretty much arbitrarily.

I guess my main question must be "Are the 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wireless 'routes' counted as different internet connections?".  The answer would appear to be Yes in view of the difficulty I am having.  If one of my laptops is 'on' the 2.4GHz Wireless and the other is on the 5GHz Wireless, Goodsync will break down for any synchronisations between them.

On the router, under 5GHz Wireless, I noticed there is an option to "Sync with 2.4 GHz:".  I have seen reference made to this in other posts on here and elsewhere, but only as suggestions to turn it off or on; nowhere have I found any explanation of what this actually does.  Specifically, if I switch this to ON, will my 5GHz Wireless be essentiually 'swallowed up' into the 2.4GHz counterpart?

Is it possible to keep both the 2.4 and the 5 separate and ensure that a particular laptop only ever connects to one or other of these (prespecified by me)?  If this were possible, I could force laptop A and laptop B to both use (say) 5GHz and then I would ensure that they would sync with one another.  Better still, can I force laptop A and laptop B to be on the same frequency, but not worry about which it is?

Can anyone help me to maintain my syncing functionality, please?

2 REPLIES 2
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Having to switch between 2.4GHz and 5GHz

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Everything Else to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Having to switch between 2.4GHz and 5GHz

You can split the bands by doing the following:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Navigate in a web browser to 192.168.1.254.

Click Advanced Settings

Enter your Hub admin password when prompted (unless you've changed it, you'll find the default password on the settings card)
Continue to Advanced Settings.
Click on Wireless.
Click 5GHz tab.
Change 'Sync with 2.4Ghz' to No.
Change the name of the 'Wireless SSID' - I added a '_5' on the end.
Save the changes.

-----------------------------------------------------------

You can then select which one you want per device.

There are also potentially some issues with the hub one and 5GHz bands, that may or may not effect you. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/td-p/1696363/

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'