cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google WiFi

summe247

Google WiFi

Hi, I have been using Google WiFi without issues with a Plusnet Hub Two for 6 months. I had to reset the Google WiFi as I wanted to change which one acted as the router and now I cannot add the other 2 to create the mesh network I had before. I have spoken to Google and have tried the modem in Bridge mode and DMZ mode as suggested but they are still saying I need to use a managed switch to resolve VLAN tagging? I have seen a few threads on here about this being rubbish but I don’t understand how everything worked without any of this and now suddenly it does not? Thanks in advance
7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

Re: Google WiFi

but they are still saying I need to use a managed switch to resolve VLAN tagging?

Absolute rubbish! The Hub 2 will handle the VLAN tagging, it adds the required tag to upstream data and removes it from downstream, hence the Google wifi does not need to be concerned with it.

Set the Hub 2 in bridge mode ( confirmed by the light being pink ), set the Google wifi to use PPPoE for its wan connection. Use <youraccountname>@plusdsl.net and the account password ( the one you use to login to the member centre. Connect the Google WAN port to a LAN port ( not the red WAN port ) on the Hub 2 and it should work.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Router

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

summe247

Hi, thank you for your reply. The internet is working via the Google WiFi router using your method, the issue is when I try and add another Google WiFi access point it says unable to join the network ‘setupxxxx’
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That's got to be a Google wifi problem then, nothing to do with the Hub 2.

This https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Nest-Wifi/Cannot-add-google-WiFi-point-to-mesh/m-p/70864 might be of help

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

worthie

Hi there. I have been trying to set up Google Wifi with the Hub2 in bridge mode but saw your advice to connect the Google Wifi to one of the LAN ports, not the red WAN port. I think this is where I have been going wrong. With the Google Wifi connected to the WAN port, Google Wifi doesn't find the internet connection. Is this why? Sorry if I am being stupid. I am on FTTC with the Hub 2 connected to the Openreach Mark 3 socket 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

With the Google Wifi connected to the WAN port, Google Wifi doesn't find the internet connection. Is this why?

@worthie Yes, the WAN port is used to connect to an ONT  when the Hub 2 is used as a router. When used in bridge mode you must connect your router ( the Google wifi ) to one of the LAN ports on the Hub

worthie

Thanks so much! That would explain it!