cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get a Smarthub 6 Whist They Are Still Plentiful and Cheap

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Get a Smarthub 6 Whist They Are Still Plentiful and Cheap

I have read this elsewhere on this forum but not being able to find it again feel it needs more visibility.

As of the 13 December 2019 BT no longer give customers a Smarthub 6, they rent them and charge £47 if you don’t return them, see https://www.bt.com/assets/pdf/BT_PhoneTariff_Residential.pdf

So if you are getting fed up with your Plusnet Hub be it a Hub Zero or Hub One and want something better and cheap, now is the time to act.

BT state that they are doing this so that they can recondition returns and give them to new customers. Fingers crossed that this is the case and they will not update the firmware to lock us out!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

2 REPLIES 2
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Get a Smarthub 6 Whist They Are Still Plentiful and Cheap

Acting on Baldrick's suggestion I bought a HH6 for £10 on Gumtree last year and I've been very pleased with the results, the Plusnet Hub One does its job well enough for many thousands of people but the HH6 wifi is about 20% better. Plenty still available, some new in their box, but I can recommend the HH6 while they're still around. The experts will prefer a fancy router with bells and whistles, I spent £80 on one of these in ADSL2 days and it didn't make the slightest difference except to my bank account.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Get a Smarthub 6 Whist They Are Still Plentiful and Cheap

BBC has article on the subject.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51294395

Plusnet and EE to follow too.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-