PPP LCP Receive Configuration ACK
00:02:57, 04 Jun.
PPP LCP Send Configuration Request
00:02:27, 04 Jun.
PPP LCP Receive Termination ACK
PPP LCP Send Termination ACK
PPP LCP Receive Termination Request (Failed to authenticate ourselves to peer)
PPP LCP Send Termination Request (Failed to authenticate ourselves to peer)
PPP: LCP down
PPP: CHAP authentication failed
PPP CHAP Receive success : authentication failure
PPP CHAP Receive Challenge
PPP: LCP up
PPP LCP Send Configuration ACK
PPP LCP Receive Configuration Request
00:02:26, 04 Jun.
00:02:26, 04 Jun.
00:02:24, 04 Jun.
00:02:23, 04 Jun.
00:01:53, 04 Jun.
PPP LCP Receive Termination ACK
PPP LCP Send Termination ACK
PPP LCP Receive Termination Request (Failed to authenticate ourselves to peer)

"Failed to authenticate ourselves to peer"

It looks like the PN Hub2 had an unfortunate loss/corruption of a password with nothing more than turning off the connection. It wasn't even a reboot or a reset to factory default. Something much, much less. Unless there is a 'feature' in the software that scrubs the password if someone clicks 'disconnect'.

Observation: the underlying ADSL connection remained stable/established (downstream/ipstream bandwidth exactly the same, although perhaps the logging is somewhat lacking).

Manually re-entering the password corrected this 'feature' of the Hub2.

I will now invoke some rhyming...

Hub two, pile of p**.

17 REPLIES 17
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Further observations on the Plusnet Hub2

@greygit Just out of curiosity, why would anyone do as you are suggesting? It seems to me you are just looking for obscure reasons to moan about your service.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@greygit 

Rather than spend your life seeking out bizarre reasons to knock the Hub 2 why not just admit that you’ve got a down on it, buy a modem/router that fully meets your requirements, should such a device exist, and move on.

The Hub 2 is not perfect but is probably as good as the freebie Hub offered by any other budget ISP and fully meets the requirements of the vast majority of Plusnet customers.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I can confirm that I’ve had the same behaviour since the new firmware applied.
Each time I’ve had to do a manual disconnect/ reconnect for profile adjustments I’ve need to re-enter the password to get it to connect. @jab1 if you have a static ip a manual disconnect/ reconnect is required to pick up any profile changes. Shouldn’t be many other reasons to do this.

issue doesn’t occur if it’s a reconnect for by line drop etc.
Seems OP might have actually re-created a proper issue (for once).

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Baldrick1  I totally agree with you, I have no idea why he trying to trash the Hub2 by attempting to find every odd firmware quirk, when everyone else seems to be finding it a reasonable ISP supplied modem/router 

I don't use ISP supplied equipment by the way. 😁

Anonymous
Not applicable

@greygit  Plusnet aren't known for providing timely firmware updates or implementing feature requests.

Have you considered more productively spending your time doing your investigations and diagnostics on another device that has an active developer community, where you can contribute to testing, reporting problems, uploading code, suggesting fixes,  and being part of a volunteer group that actually care about making a product better for all ?.

Over the years, I have contributed to and had firmware releases for specific bug fixes for Billion BiPAC 8800 and 8900 routers, the DrayTek Vigor 130 modem, made many improvements to the pfSense project, and solved problems for various Ubuntu releases.

While I find it interesting to see your findings, I'm not seeing any solutions, or much hope of your suggestions actually leading to Plusnet doing anything to correct anything you find.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@dvorak wrote:

I can confirm that I’ve had the same behaviour since the new firmware applied.
Each time I’ve had to do a manual disconnect/ reconnect for profile adjustments I’ve need to re-enter the password to get it to connect. @jab1 if you have a static ip a manual disconnect/ reconnect is required to pick up any profile changes. Shouldn’t be many other reasons to do this.

issue doesn’t occur if it’s a reconnect for by line drop etc.
Seems OP might have actually re-created a proper issue (for once).

Interesting that you have seen the same issue. I am no longer with PN, and in the past 12 months since my move, I have had no major issues such as profile adjustments, so  although I have a static IP (by default), I have had no need to investigate how Zen handle this - hopefully I never will, but I'm not going to worry about the remote possibility - life's too short. 😉

John
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I have this on my backlog of issues to attend to. I'm fairly certain I know how the behaviour has been introduced and it's related to a change that was made in the most recent firmware that has just been deployed.

Suspect we'll be able to address it in a future update.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

greygit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Nah. I'm moaning about a piece of hardware. If I'm finding these (very obvious, simple) glitches in its config I'd be sure that more serious people than me would find more serious stuff.

Harddrive
Dabbler

To add weight to your suspicion, Bob. I’m seeing the exact same thing

I have just moved from a Hub One to a Hub Two.

I always used to disconnect/reconnect from the internet with the Hub One each day without issue.

The first day of using the Hub Two I could also do so. If I recall correctly, the disconnect/reconnect page offered a green Update button when disconnected but not when connected. I didn’t ever touch this green button.

I didn’t note the exact firmware level on that day but there was no update date time showing in the  Technical Log Information page -  the date/time line was blank.

The next day I noticed there had been a firmware update overnight. From the Technical Log Information page:

Firmware version:v0.05.03.07154-PN

Firmware updated:Sat Jun 18 15:28:08 2022

Board version:R01

GUI version:1.3 10_03_2021

From that day on, the connect/disconnect page seems to have a blank password resulting in Chap Authentication failure. I have to retype the account password before clicking Connect. There is no sign of the green update button anymore whatever the connection status.

Before writing this, I checked the Technical Log Information page again and found the firmware and GUI versions have been updated again:

Firmware version:v0.06.00.12134-PN

Firmware updated:18-Jun-2022

GUI version:1.6 19_10_2021

Ineresting that there is no time showing anymore in the Firmware updated line.

I still have the problem. Also, if I sign onto the router web page and it reports no internet connection, the facility for the router to Open No Connection Help will sometimes get me connected but otherwise result in an error page telling me to call PlusNet.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Harddrive - thanks, your observations further validate my suspicions. I raised it the other week, so it's now on the backlog to be addressed.

The different behaviour in the no connection wizard is probably a product of what state the hub views your connection at the time it's initiated i.e. no sync, sync but no auth, sync but failing auth etc.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Harddrive - FYI, your hub has been targeted with a firmware update that hopefully fixes this behaviour and allows for a PPP disconnect/reconnect without having to re-type the broadband password.

Expect your hub to reboot early hours of the morning over the coming days to apply the update.

Once you have it (version number is 0.08.00.08297), then I'd welcome any feedback you have.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

grtuser777
Hooked

While what the OP has posted is indeed not what an regular PN user might do as a new Hub 2 recipient I have to say I'm not impressed with it either. 

You can't split the bands which you could on the Hub 1 and my upload speed dropped from a consistent 6-8Mbps to a consistent sub 1Mbps.  I've ended up going back to my Hub 1.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@grtuser777 - sorry to hear you're not satisfied, but neither observation is really relevant to the topic being discussed here.

The decision around band splitting is unlikely to change.

The issue with upload speed may warrant investigation, but I'd suggest starting a separate thread if you want to go down that route.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

grtuser777
Hooked

sorry but I disagree about relevance.  There are people on this thread saying to the OP they are talking about some obscure edge case and that the Hub 2 is satisfactory for the majority of users.  I was pointing out that even for the average user it has a reduced feature set and doesn't perform as well as it's predecessor.