cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flashing lights

hisnibs
Hooked

Flashing lights

Hi, We have been with plusnet fibre (although fibre to the cabinet and aluminium wire to the foot of the pole) for a few years and had some small troubles over the years. Anyway the last few days we have had intermittent Internet and I notice that the button labelled internet and also the wifi button are flashing on and off consistently, not staying lit for more than a second or two.

Any body got any ideas?

Cheers

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: Flashing lights

Welcome to the forum.

You obviously have a fault. To start with you need to confirm that it's not a problem on your side of the BT master socket. First remove the front panel of the master socket (you may need to remove two screws). In behind you will find the test socket.

Plug a wired telephone into the test socket  then ring 17070 and select Option 2. The line should be quiet with no background noise. If there is any hissing or crackling then report a PHONE fault to whoever supplies your telephone service (which might or might not be Plusnet). You will never get decent broadband until this is fixed.

Next plug in your filter (or another if you have one). If the router lights are still intermittently flashing then it's either the router or telephone line that has the fault and unless you have a spare router to try you will have to report a fault to Plusnet. With a bit of luck a Plusnet staffer will come along and pick it up for you from here.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

hisnibs
Hooked

Thanks Baldrick1....I'll give it a go!

Cheers

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your connection.

We can see there were a few drops on Monday but bar that your connection was mostly stable as shown below

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
hisnibs
Hooked

Yes thanks for that, BT were down the road re-making an Aluminium cable joint so that explains the drops on Monday. 

The Router however is still flashing the Internet and WiFi lights and I'm still having trouble connecting....timed out!!

Also I have a new BG WIFI extender socket that recognises the WIFI but will not latch on for more than 10 seconds!

Seems to me that the router is at fault...How do I go about getting a new router?

Cheers.

Baldrick1

If the router is less than a year old then Plusnet will replace it under warranty. If it's out of warranty don't buy one from Plusnet. Go to Ebay and buy a Smarthub 6. They're better routers and can be got for around £20.

Moderator and Customer

hisnibs
Hooked

Thanks for the info and advice Baldrick1, I did the quiet line test and all is as quiet as it should be.

Being a complete technophobe how will I get the BT Hub to work on my installation? Or will it just work with no programming?

Cheers

Neil

Baldrick1

@hisnibs

See here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85....

The number of steps might look daunting but that is because I have broken it down to simple steps for the non technical reader. You just do each step in turn without trying any short cuts such as plugging leads in before instructed to and you will be OK. 

If you go down this path then make sure that you get the FTTC version. Most are. The easiest way to tell is that the version you want has four yellow LAN sockets. The FTTP version has a red WAN sticker fixed to one of the LAN sockets. More information, be it getting a bit dated now, will be found here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Smart-Hub-6-Variants-and-Performance/m-p/1504366#M5170

Moderator and Customer

hisnibs
Hooked

Many thanks Baldrick1, I have ordered a HH6 Fttc version and will probably be crying for more help when it arrives.

I'll let you know how I get on

Cheers

Neil.